Sponsored

Death Wobble Question

JDub11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl 2012jk
How many miles on your jeep? I know you mentioned you changed your steering, bit check your tiered and drag link ends. Take a large pair of channel locks and squeeze the tie rod and the steering knuckles. If there is any up down movement they need tightened up or replaced.
Sponsored

OP
OP
rrsontag

rrsontag

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How many miles on your jeep? I know you mentioned you changed your steering, bit check your tiered and drag link ends. Take a large pair of channel locks and squeeze the tie rod and the steering knuckles. If there is any up down movement they need tightened up or replaced.
Just under 7k. Thanks for the advice. I'll check the tie-rod ends tomorrow, and see if there's any play.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm going through this as well, but haven't had a full on death wobble incident, just a steering shimmy between 45-55 mph. It all happened after installing a Metalcloak 2.5" Gamechanger lift. It did it with the stock wheels and tires as well as 37" Cooper tires on beadlock wheels. I started throwing parts at it. First I installed a Rusty's track bar brace on it. It was a PITA to install, the tolerance is very close, but regardless it still wobbles. Then I installed MC steering (drag link and tie rod). No change. I need to add that the track bar was included in the lift and I already had the MC steering stabilizer and relocation bracket installed before the lift. Root cause was the lift and I've torqued and retorqued a few times. I had my wife saw the wheel back and forth while I looked for movement...nothing. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to replace ball joints because the stock ones suck anyway.

OP
OP
rrsontag

rrsontag

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm going through this as well, but haven't had a full on death wobble incident, just a steering shimmy between 45-55 mph. It all happened after installing a Metalcloak 2.5" Gamechanger lift. It did it with the stock wheels and tires as well as 37" Cooper tires on beadlock wheels. I started throwing parts at it. First I installed a Rusty's track bar brace on it. It was a PITA to install, the tolerance is very close, but regardless it still wobbles. Then I installed MC steering (drag link and tie rod). No change. I need to add that the track bar was included in the lift and I already had the MC steering stabilizer and relocation bracket installed before the lift. Root cause was the lift and I've torqued and retorqued a few times. I had my wife saw the wheel back and forth while I looked for movement...nothing. At this point I'm thinking I'm going to replace ball joints because the stock ones suck anyway.
I changed my ball joints, but it didn't help. Is your shimmy constant or just when hitting bumps?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I changed my ball joints, but it didn't help. Is your shimmy constant or just when hitting bumps?
Pretty much all the time in that speed zone. I can feel it wanting to wobble when I hit a good bump lower that that, but it settles down after about 3 good wobbles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rrsontag

rrsontag

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Pretty much all the time in that speed zone. I can feel it wanting to wobble when I hit a good bump lower that that, but it settles down after about 3 good wobbles.
Crazy. Thats exactly what I'm experiencing.

I've checked and re-checked everything. I had Metalcloak's steering setup(drag link, steering link, stabilizer) and would get death wobble. I switched to Synergy's setup with a fox non adjustable pass through stabilizer and haven't had death wobble. Definitely shimmy over bumps and sometimes I'm holding my breath and white knuckling thinking it's going into full death wobble.

The dealers want to point to the aftermarket components, and act like they can't do anything. You know.... "It's a Jeep thing".
I'm basically at the point where I'm going to start working my way back to stock one part at a time. If something fixes it great, if not I guess I'll be in the market for a good used JK.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm also thinking the track bar might be causing it but I have no way to verify that without swapping it out. That is the usual suspect, lol.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Are we all on Metalcloak lifts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rrsontag

rrsontag

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've got Synergy springs and fox shocks. Have metalcloak arms and used to have their steering.

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
I ordered the Falcon shocks, Synergy HD tie rod, drag link and front and rear adjustable track bars and the front steering box / track bar reinforcement set up to try and cover all my bases.