Sponsored

Dealer rip-off

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Do you think modern vehicles have fuel filters? The majority of issues we see stem from water in fuel (I personally blame ethanol) or just poor quality fuel. Top Tier gas is definitely a real benefit, but does not necessarily mean 100% gas.

Have you ever seen the inside of an intake manifold after 100k+ miles? Pop one off a Chevy 5.3 and see how much oil buildup there is. It's awful.

edit: also, fuel injector failure is very common on the our 3.6L engine.
Yes, something keeps the crap from the end of the gas nozzle from running into your injectors. Whether it is an inline filter, or built into the pump. Last inline filter I've done was in my dad's 2006 Chevy Colorado I5 (amazing engine) it was under the frame in the same spot as my 1995 S-10.

Oh I get that top tier gasoline is mixed with Ethanol by federal law and the amount varies by location and season. Do fuel injectors vary that much by make? I figure that there are probably 3 manufacturers (i.e. Bosch) that make injectors for almost all vehicles made these days.
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I can bet both my testicles the dealer did not even check the diff fluid at all, he probably just saying it is black.

To check the diff fluid, they have to either drain it or open the fill hole and put a stick in it, both are too complicated for techs that are lazy enough.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To check the diff fluid, they have to either drain it or open the fill hole and put a stick in it, both are too complicated for techs that are lazy enough.
Luckily they can't double fill it like the Jeep Wave oil changes people have been getting lately.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I can bet both my testicles the dealer did not even check the diff fluid at all, he probably just saying it is black.

Mine was black at 36k.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yes, something keeps the crap from the end of the gas nozzle from running into your injectors. Whether it is an inline filter, or built into the pump. Last inline filter I've done was in my dad's 2006 Chevy Colorado I5 (amazing engine) it was under the frame in the same spot as my 1995 S-10.

Oh I get that top tier gasoline is mixed with Ethanol by federal law and the amount varies by location and season. Do fuel injectors vary that much by make? I figure that there are probably 3 manufacturers (i.e. Bosch) that make injectors for almost all vehicles made these days.
I wouldn’t classify the fuel pump inlet strainers as a filter.

I’m not sure who makes our injectors, but they do fail often. It’s not so much the manufacturer as it is the engineering specs supplied to them that determine quality.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn’t classify the fuel pump inlet strainers as a filter.

I’m not sure who makes our injectors, but they do fail often. It’s not so much the manufacturer as it is the engineering specs supplied to them that determine quality.
I'm certainly not arguing your point as I've been a Jeep owner for 3100 miles and have never owned a Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis vehicle before this. I do know that the company formerly known as Chrysler has a horrible reputation for reliability.

I've owned mostly GM/Honda/Toyota and fuel injectors have never really been a problem. Even on a tin can TBI 1992 Geo Metro I-3, I drove it all through high school, and my father drove it for a decade after that putting a total of 200K on it and no injector problems. I figure I'll run top tier (usually Shell) gasoline and hope for the best. If I get a clogged injector, then I'll re-evaluate my strategy on the Jeep.

My strategy may not work for everyone, but I wrench on my own vehicles and a fuel injector is not even near the edge of my comfort zone. Just replaced the original alternator on my 02 Civic today (270Kmi), and I'm doing a bearing on my 2014 Tundra this weekend. If someone is paying shop rate for parts and labor it may make sense to have injector service done.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I'm certainly not arguing your point as I've been a Jeep owner for 3100 miles and have never owned a Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis vehicle before this. I do know that the company formerly known as Chrysler has a horrible reputation for reliability.

I've owned mostly GM/Honda/Toyota and fuel injectors have never really been a problem. Even on a tin can TBI 1992 Geo Metro I-3, I drove it all through high school, and my father drove it for a decade after that putting a total of 200K on it and no injector problems. I figure I'll run top tier (usually Shell) gasoline and hope for the best. If I get a clogged injector, then I'll re-evaluate my strategy on the Jeep.

My strategy may not work for everyone, but I wrench on my own vehicles and a fuel injector is not even near the edge of my comfort zone. Just replaced the original alternator on my 02 Civic today (270Kmi), and I'm doing a bearing on my 2014 Tundra this weekend. If someone is paying shop rate for parts and labor it may make sense to have injector service done.
GM fuel injectors are not much better these days. All the way up to the duramax, they have a not insignificant failure rate. On a Toyota, a fuel injector is wayyyy down the list of potential problems.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Even a newbie like me was able to change the differential fluid … easier than an oil change.

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
Sounds like pretty routine 30K miles preventive maintenance.

My rule is: "It's cheaper and better to maintain things than it is to repair them or replace them."

But that's just me.
I’ll do your 30k service for you, if you think $600 for it is reasonable…
I’m with you, though, maintenance is paramount to longevity.

goochman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sahara, 2020 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Cruze Premier
That isn't what we do at all. We disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel rail, disable the fuel pump, and run the engine on a separate tank of solvent to clean injectors, and remove the intake up to the throttle body and clean the throttle body and intake manifold to remove deposits on that end. It's quite an involved process.

We usually do it at the same interval as spark plug replacement for port injected engines and more frequently for DI.
That sounds like what shouldve been done - just my experience that the above work cant be done in 15 mins - paperwork and all. I dont believe my Jeep even left the parking spot outside of the Service dropoff area!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
That sounds like what shouldve been done - just my experience that the above work cant be done in 15 mins - paperwork and all. I dont believe my Jeep even left the parking spot outside of the Service dropoff area!
No it definitely sounds like you got jerked around.
Another possibility is they did it and forgot to sell it to you first.

Kurlon

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4XE Rubicon, maybe?
Coming from the motorcycle racing side of things, fuel injector FAILURES were rare, but dirty injectors with poor spray patterns are common. I'd send mine out to a crew with actual machines for cleaning and benchmarking the injectors though, just running gas diluted with cleaner through on a running engine never effectively cleaned them.

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
Brake fluid flushes are not bullshit... That fluid slowly absorbs water from the air and holds on to it, rusting your brakes from the inside out. Worst still however is the chance that so much water will accumulate in your brakes eventually that if you ever get the brakes hot enough to boil that water your brakes will stop working since steam is compressible. You really should flush your brake fluid every few years at minimum.
dang... its a good thing for us that live in AZ... dry AF out here. lol

OP
OP

WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Before I go in for service, I check the manual. If its not on the manual or Im not having an issue, I do not get their "suggestions." There was a few times in a row where the service adviser advised that I do their fuel system cleaner. I kept declining. Finally one time I had him explain exactly what it was. When he was done, I said "oh that sounds like the techron I ran through my tank 500 miles before I brought it in today." I hasn't come up again. Have them explain what the induction service is. If they say they just run cleaner through the tank, pass. You can get techron or some other cleaner at autozone and do right before your next oil change. Your jeep shouldnt need it unless you have been running no name gas. Do your brakes fell spongey or less responsive? If not, I'd pass on the flush. The differentials are different. Do you know for sure that they looked in them? 30K is about halfway through its change interval. For piece of mind you can have it done. That seems like the going price. For about $40 total and a couple hours you can do it yourself like others have said. The main thing that takes time is waiting for the oil to fully drain. I had mine done at 30k right after I bought the jku, and I did the 60k service myself. And im not that mechanically inclined, so its pretty easy.
At 30K how did your gear oil look? Did it need to be done or should I wait for 60K to do it?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Drain and refill differentials is very simple. I believe that the brake lines should be flushed based on time more than mileage…every three years. As others have said moisture build up is the concern. I do it myself but it’s a bit of a pain.
Sponsored