Ripped my taillight off

cosmec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Subaru WRX, 2012 JK-Previously
Build Thread
Link
Was doing some light wheeling over the holidays and I scraped a tree with my rear bumper and ripped my LED taillight out. That was WAY easier than expected.

anyway, I know there is a bracket that holds the light that has cracked. I’ve ordered a new one. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I overlooking anything aside from that bracket?
Thanks!
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the way the taillights are designed are prone to get damaged, busted up or ripped off. the jl, jk one are easy. the tj, yj, cj are a bit harder ( where they are located) to break but prone to get damaged. the aftermarket companies have tail light guard to help protect them to a certain point. i dont know how well it will protect them from ripping off from a side contact.

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I never understood why people install the plastic/metal taillight guards that bolt (or sometimes only clip) onto to same light that they are trying to protect.

I do not see what those would gain you for protection.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I did this. Just ordered the $15 bracket through my dealer and replaced it. No big deal. I would rather a $15 bracket fail than an expensive taillight.

I found a video on youtube to replace the taillight. Very straightforward.

Edit: Here is the video I used:

Last edited:

Sponsored

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
I did the same thing, rubbed the tree just right. The bracket is the "fuse", cheap and easy fix.

I am not positive why they made the lights stick out so far past the body, but I suspect it has to do with proximity sensors.

Demented311

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I did this. Just ordered the $15 bracket through my dealer and replaced it. No big deal. I would rather a $15 bracket fail than an expensive taillight.

Thanks, I just ripped mine off last night. This video was great. I think I need to replace that plastic white bolt with the spring.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Oracle tail lights are a flush wrap around style. There are others that have the flush wrap shape, but they aren't nearly as OE looking as the Oracle.

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler JL, Bronco, RAM TRX
Was doing some light wheeling over the holidays and I scraped a tree with my rear bumper and ripped my LED taillight out. That was WAY easier than expected.

anyway, I know there is a bracket that holds the light that has cracked. I’ve ordered a new one. Has this happened to anyone else? Am I overlooking anything aside from that bracket?
Thanks!
Looks like it's time to upgrade to the ORACLE Lighting Flush Mount Tail Lights. I did the same to mine.

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/jlflush

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

I tore mine off on The Squeeze on Pinyon Mtn. I have the xtreme recon package so my tail lights stick out even further. I upgraded to the Oracle flush mounts and have been very happy with them. Looks OEM and very bright reverse lights as a bonus.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ripped my taillight off Screenshot 2024-01-28 153541

Jeep Wrangler JL Ripped my taillight off IMG_5849-EDIT

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler JL, Bronco, RAM TRX
I tore mine off on The Squeeze on Pinyon Mtn. I have the xtreme recon package so my tail lights stick out even further. I upgraded to the Oracle flush mounts and have been very happy with them. Looks OEM and very bright reverse lights as a bonus.

Wow...now that's a trail!!! The Flush Mount Tail Lights look great!! Please take a moment and write a review for us.

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/jlflush
Sponsored