WrangleDangle

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Wrangler JLUR, 3.6L, 8 speed auto, 33,000 miles.

I was at the dealer today for my Wave service. (Oil and filter change).

I was told that I needed to have both differentials flushed as the oil was black. $189.95 for each axle.
This Rubicon has lockers, and I don't know if that makes it harder on the oil. I've used the lockers twice.
Does this sound like a ripoff?

Also, they tell me that I need induction service for $219.95.

Lastly, they tell me I need a brake flush for $189.95.

I appreciate any thoughts on this. I would guess I don't need any of it, please help.

Thanks,
Sponsored

2manyhobbies

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Rubicon XR
Iā€™ll comment on the differentials. I will start by saying that I am a believer in preventive maintenance. I also do things myself because I have the tools and a garage.

I havenā€™t bought gear oil in a while, but Iā€™m guessing $30-$45 per axle. All you need is a 3/8ā€ drive ratchet (an extension helps), and a drain pan. Should take 5-10 minutes per axle to drain, reinstall plug, and refill. This is how long it took me on my 2JKs.

The locker wonā€™t cause the oil to be need to be changed any faster, Itā€™s mostly from towing or lots of city driving.

I have never flushed brake fluid outside of replacing a caliper. That sounds like BS to me. And I donā€™t even know what that other service is.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Iā€™m not sure what induction service is. But the other two is about normal dealer pricing, both are very easy to do yourself in little time and for little expense. Itā€™s about normal time for these services, check owners manual for clarification. Diff service and brake flush is all worthwhile preventive maintenance.

I would change the diff fluid earlier if they have been underwater at any point.

mini_cal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Unlimited
Brake flush is part of routine maintenance but they are charging a lot for a simple procedure. You could buy the brake fluid you need and a vacuum brake bleeder tool to do it yourself for cheaper.

As for the induction service - that is a complete ripoff. You have a 3.6L motor that uses port injection. Your intake valves dont need to be cleaned this early. Throttle body and fuel injectors can be cleaned later on.

Sounds like they are just trying to pile on services and make some money

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
That wasn't the conclusion. At least not mine :) Maybe others were suggesting that, if so I agree with you. More than happy to pay market labor rate if the quality of the workmanship is stood behind.

BUT, my primary conclusion from my experience, and likely what the OP was experiencing, was a dealer that was recommending services at the wrong interval and going against the service manual, and then claiming it was required. I have a problem with that.
The service manual is inadequate. Try lubricating caliper slides at the interval suggested by the service manual while living in NY. Calipers wonā€™t last 5 years.

Service manual for example says you never need to service the transmission. The manufacturer disagrees.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
The service manual is inadequate. Try lubricating caliper slides at the interval suggested by the service manual while living in NY. Calipers wonā€™t last 5 years.

Service manual for example says you never need to service the transmission. The manufacturer disagrees.
I deleted my posts as I don't think they were helpful and I was triggered by my bad dealership experience which was very different than the OP's, but the induction service was the trigger for me.

Brake service/diff fluid changes seem normal as do the prices. That induction service though -- I'm skeptical on that one still.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I deleted my posts as I don't think they were helpful and I was triggered by my bad dealership experience which was very different than the OP's, but the induction service was the trigger for me.

Brake service/diff fluid changes seem normal as do the prices. That induction service though -- I'm skeptical on that one still.
Depending on the chemical and exact procedure used, itā€™s very effective at clearing carbon buildup on throttle plates, valves, and cleaning injectors.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Depending on the chemical and exact procedure used, itā€™s very effective at clearing carbon buildup on throttle plates, valves, and cleaning injectors.
Is this something worth doing at that mileage? Let's assume it's effective as a treatment when used.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
My dealership tried to do the same to me after my first few changes, it's a complete rip-off. The service representative explained the cost for the differentials was they needed to remove the cover, clean everything inside and then reform the gasket and let it cure. Unlike the JK series, the JLs have re-usable gaskets so they didn't know what they were talking about or justify the price based on my supposed ignorance.

I would just drop and refill. The rear diff oil will be extremely dark but that's normal, fronts may still be clear. Every time I've checked (every 15k or so) the fronts have been clear, rear very dark. A full clean will be easy as well, just need lots of ventilation and brake kleen.

kingpinJL

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited, 2021 JLUR
Flushes are bullshit. just change the fluid(s) based on the manufacturer reccomended intervals.

I used to work for a large dealership group. The CEO himself wouldn't allow the service departments to push flushes, because, and i quote, "flushes are bullshit".
Sponsored