Sponsored

Dealer Help - Reprogramming for Tire Size

lrsnoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S - Sarge Green
Hey guys, new Jeep owner here. I picked up a 2020 JLU Sport S last year and love the thing. I was always a truck guy before this, and I'm never going back.

That being said, I threw on some Rubi take-offs last month and am looking to get my speedometer recalibrated. While I would love to use the AEV ProCal Snap, I am worried about running into warranty issues and my dealer is a stickler about things. I just spoke with the dealer, and they want to charge $542 dollars to recalibrate, which is f***ing insane and much more than I have seen others pay on previous threads here. There is no way I am paying $542 for such an easy job. I don't have a cost breakdown, this is just what they told me on the phone.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I am in southern Arizona, if anyone has a dealership they could recommend. Also frequently in the San Diego area, and could hit a shop there. I would rather use a programmer, but like I said, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and do not wish to void my warranty.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lrsnoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy a TazerJL and do it yourself.
Wouldn't this mean that I would have to remove and reprogram whenever I take the vehicle to the dealer for routine maintenance?

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Hey guys, new Jeep owner here. I picked up a 2020 JLU Sport S last year and love the thing. I was always a truck guy before this, and I'm never going back.

That being said, I threw on some Rubi take-offs last month and am looking to get my speedometer recalibrated. While I would love to use the AEV ProCal Snap, I am worried about running into warranty issues and my dealer is a stickler about things. I just spoke with the dealer, and they want to charge $542 dollars to recalibrate, which is f***ing insane and much more than I have seen others pay on previous threads here. There is no way I am paying $542 for such an easy job. I don't have a cost breakdown, this is just what they told me on the phone.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I am in southern Arizona, if anyone has a dealership they could recommend. Also frequently in the San Diego area, and could hit a shop there. I would rather use a programmer, but like I said, I plan on keeping this vehicle for a long time and do not wish to void my warranty.
That is insane to charge that much. This is just my opinion and feel free to ignore it but if you just went from Sport S wheels to Rubi takeoffs and 33's, You wont really notice any difference in shifting. I believe a lot of people only recalibrate when they go up to 35s and above.

For reference I swapped to 33 and did not recalibrate and didnt notice any difference. I have now gone to 35 and notice the shift points are slightly off but not enough to bother me. If you still want to recalibrate doing so with a Tazer should not void your warranty. If it does that dealer is a certified a$$hole

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was just in last Friday for the A/C Blower Fan TSB, Steering Damper Recall, Tire Rotation and Oil Change, and I left my Tazer harness installed with no issues. I even have a remote start harness installed. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

lrsnoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is insane to charge that much. This is just my opinion and feel free to ignore it but if you just went from Sport S wheels to Rubi takeoffs and 33's, You wont really notice any difference in shifting. I believe a lot of people only recalibrate when they go up to 35s and above.

For reference I swapped to 33 and did not recalibrate and didnt notice any difference. I have now gone to 35 and notice the shift points are slightly off but not enough to bother me. If you still want to recalibrate doing so with a Tazer should not void your warranty. If it does that dealer is a certified a$$hole
I appreciate the response, man. My reason is more so to correct the speedometer, even if it is only ~3 MPH off at highway speeds. Is there a way to ensure the dealer doesn't give issues about a Tazer?

OP
OP

lrsnoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine was just in last Friday for the A/C Blower Fan TSB, Steering Damper Recall, Tire Rotation and Oil Change, and I left my Tazer harness installed with no issues. I even have a remote start harness installed. :)
That's good to hear, sounds like I will be grabbing a Tazer then. Thank you.

WillysOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Check out the rough country speedo calibrator, costs approx $150. I have and it is very easy to use.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That's good to hear, sounds like I will be grabbing a Tazer then. Thank you.
@lrsnoma

You were given misinformation in an earlier post... Reality is a guy/gal that does not unmarry a Tazer JL and remove the hardware and reconnect the 2 cables at the gateway when they take the vehicle to the Service Dept. is making a very foolish mistake... Anyway, totally disregard the earlier info.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
Or save a bunch of money and get the JScan app for less than $100 and recalibrate with that. this wont leave any trace of you having done it.
Gregj

Sponsored

TP1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Or save a bunch of money and get the JScan app for less than $100 and recalibrate with that. this wont leave any trace of you having done it.
Gregj
This

It's pretty intuitive and will give you options for other changes as well. Also used it to enable the LED lighting.

OP
OP

lrsnoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what I thought previously. If I have no desire to change any other settings than tire size, is there any real advantage to the Tazer over the AEV ProCal? Or to the JScan app?

maas

First Name
Mariano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2018
I also have a JLUS with Rubi take offs (wheels & tires). I got the tires/wheels swapped at the dealer (was getting the steering TSB done that same week). I asked for the tire size recalibration, and the dealer said it was not needed due to the miniscule difference in tire size. He also mentioned that dealer computer only adjusts to multiples of +/-0.5 inches, so it may be even harder to get it closer than what it is currently at (Tazer will get you within decimals).

I haven't recalibrated mine, but I am only off by 2 or 3 mph when I go over 65 mph.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TimmH

You are making a mistake not unmarrying....

Your only issue is not just with the dealer being concerned with the programmer and denying warranty work, etc. because of it..... but more importantly, is of FCA being made aware that your JL/JT is running with a programmer..

When the dealership Tech hooks your vehicle up to the wiTECHII, it logs in with FCA with the VIN# of your vehicle..

FCA can and does see all, lets say... if they take the time to do so.. sure might do that if there is an issue that will cost FCA money... With that said your buddy Service Manager and or Tech, may be programmer friendly but....... but if you think FCA is, think again....

Important:

The Tazer doesn't write to the PCM, it writes to the BCM.

When the dealer does a flash update that had a BCM config change to go along with it, well it could/may , when you finally/eventually unmarry, after the dealer did their work, have the process writing the old value back which undo's what the dealer programmed. Not great....
Sponsored