Sponsored

Damaged in transport

shacay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks again everyone!! With a little luck it’ll all work out tomorrow.
I have similar transportation damage on a Jeep that I have already purchased. Curious what your outcome was. My preference is for them to completely replace the frame, which is what they say they are going to do. How do I verify it was in fact replaced and not just repaired?
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have similar transportation damage on a Jeep that I have already purchased. Curious what your outcome was. My preference is for them to completely replace the frame, which is what they say they are going to do. How do I verify it was in fact replaced and not just repaired?
What was your damage ?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Do you seriously have no idea how an assembly line works. different parts can be painted weeks even months apart. the paint will match no matter what vehicle. These thing are designed to be put together quickly, parts will line as they were intended to put together. they are not custom made.
The three vehicle assembly plants I have worked at/toured to not work this way. Each body panel was serialized to the VIN and all painted at the same time in the same paint booth so that the paint matches. This is done because the same paint color can vary slightly from batch to batch.The body panels are then sent to the proper places on the assembly line at the right time. A bunch of internal Just In Time logistics in these factories.

Which assembly plants have you seen this not to be the case?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
The three vehicle assembly plants I have worked at/toured to not work this way. Each body panel was serialized to the VIN and all painted at the same time in the same paint booth so that the paint matches. This is done because the same paint color can vary slightly from batch to batch.The body panels are then sent to the proper places on the assembly line at the right time. A bunch of internal Just In Time logistics in these factories.

Which assembly plants have you seen this not to be the case?
The yellow plastic grill for the white JLs was mixed in a plastics vat by a worker who was color blind .

The JL red dash was painted at a strip club in a red light district .

The bump dent on the window frame was made by a hammer while the workers pretended the Jeeps were xylophones in a West Indies steel band .

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
My damage was at the top of the windshield frame, similar to the OP's damage.
Sorry to hear . My dumb idea is get a $5K refund from fca . Your idea of replacing the frame sounds like a prescription for more moron damage by whomever they employ .

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So, how did this turn out? Did they replace the window frame with a FACTORY painted unit?

Obviously you do not want that to be fixed at a body shop. The paint will never match perfectly and will never hold up like a factory applied paint. Humans and robots lay down color and clear differently. And, the prep between a body shop job and a factory job are different too.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
So, how did this turn out? Did they replace the window frame with a FACTORY painted unit?

Obviously you do not want that to be fixed at a body shop. The paint will never match perfectly and will never hold up like a factory applied paint. Humans and robots lay down color and clear differently. And, the prep between a body shop job and a factory job are different too.
Personally I would not take delivery of a damaged new car of any brand. Saying that, it's not the end of the world if someone wants a repair instead. Actually more brand new cars are repaired at port then people realize. People never know because the damage does not have to be reported unless it's cost to repair is over a certain percentage of the MSRP. Usually about 5% of the MSRP. There is a huge port in NJ that does factory repairs on Ferrari, BMW, etc. The BMW Vehicle Distribution Center is one of them. No need to really worry about paint quality at good shops. Many of the paints used by high end body shops are actually better then the factory paint. A excellent body shop can definitely make near undetectable repairs. They can tint, blend, layer metallic coats, match orange peel, to make the repair undetectable to almost anyone but a paint meter. The key is making sure a really good shop does the work. The prep is as important as the painting. Finding a qualified shop is the trick. High end shops that routinely work on exotics are a good place to start because they are used to greater attention to detail then the average shop. Hopefully the end result was satisfactory to the owner and they are enjoying their JL again.

Last edited:

MattP725

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion (Future Hopeful JL Owner)
You folks have no clue what happens at the assembly plants or at the dealer level.

Had this been a stock inventory order, the dealer would fix it, put it on the lot, sell it and if the new buyer had a issue with the paint, that then becomes a warranty issue.
Sounds like you worked at a shady dealership if you're doing body work to "new" cars and not telling customers. Can you please post what dealership you worked at so we know to never buy a vehicle from there?

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Personally I would not take delivery of a damaged new car of any brand.
Exactly so . I go even further and specify top quality build of my Jeep when I order . They actually pay attention and do so .