Damaged in transport

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
If you have another vehicle to use, reject the Wrangler due to the damage. New vehicle price = new vehicle, not a damaged one. Yes a Wrangler is going to get banged up, but you want to EARN your dings and scratches and not have a brand new vehicle damaged due to some careless buffoon. You didn't pay $15K for a brand new Kia that doesn't have a ding, why pay $45K+ for a brand new Wrangler with a ding? Good way to get a 2019 Wrangler too.

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
That's some ridiculous unwarranted entitlement mentality bullshit right there.
He hasn't paid for it yet , so he has a right to ask for price assistance because of the damage . That's not entitlement ; that's fair play .

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you have another vehicle to use, reject the Wrangler due to the damage. New vehicle price = new vehicle, not a damaged one. Yes a Wrangler is going to get banged up, but you want to EARN your dings and scratches. Good way to get a 2019 too.
Exactly spot on !

Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I would reject it and ask that they expedite a replacement from the factory.

Jlb27537

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '12 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
Occupation
Retired
Lots of bad advise here. Being a Service Director for 35 years at the dealership level, this is just a normal ding that happens. The dealership caught it at time of delivery to the dealership. They will fix it, file a transportation claim and they will get paid the cost of the repair, ONLY. No discount from anybody.

The dealership can do what they want. They do not have to disclose transportation damage on something as minor as this. If the person that ordered it does not want it, so be it. The dealer has no way to discount the vehicle. Often times you will get a vehicle that had paint work done at the assembly plant and it is considered a "new" vehicle.

That is a easy fix, bondo, paint and it is done.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Nah actually I would take the jeep, have them fix it and apply a discount to make ya feel better. It's not like its front end damage with engine repair. it's a dent on the windshield outer shell.

If you make them give you another one, there's a good chance you'll pay more sincee it will be 2019.

Last edited:

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I would be asking a lot of questions. If it goes to a body shop is there a carfax report? If so no go. If they are going to repaint I would inspect the paint match and ensure it was perfect. If not no. I would try for a whole window replacement from Jeep so you know the paint matches and that wouldn’t go on a carfax for sure.

Bottom line is I am way to anal about my stuff so I would most likely walk from that deal.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Lots of bad advise here. Being a Service Director for 35 years at the dealership level, this is just a normal ding that happens. The dealership caught it at time of delivery to the dealership. They will fix it, file a transportation claim and they will get paid the cost of the repair, ONLY. No discount from anybody.

The dealership can do what they want. They do not have to disclose transportation damage on something as minor as this. If the person that ordered it does not want it, so be it. The dealer has no way to discount the vehicle. Often times you will get a vehicle that had paint work done at the assembly plant and it is considered a "new" vehicle.

A dealer can really do body work on a car and sell it brand new w/o disclosing the damage?

If a customer asks are they obligated to answer honestly? I’ve never even thought to ask before now.

Obviously. new Wranglers are just a commodity. A dime a dozen. Why would anyone buy one that’s been damaged and repaired (however well) when they can buy one for the same money that hasn’t been?

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD

Normal damage? Minor? haha... Who know what else happend bwside the ding...maybe it warpee the window frame slightly and it couls leak or cause windshield cracking. I wouldn't accept it. Was the top track of the car carrier putting force on it the whole trip or something?

It look like more than a ding...it look like that whole area is bent down.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
He hasn't paid for it yet , so he has a right to ask for price assistance because of the damage . That's not entitlement ; that's fair play .
That's fair play if they were going to sell him the Jeep as-is and if they were responsible for the damage, but they aren't. The dealership didn't screw this up; the transport company did. They're liable for that cost. The dealership doesn't have to eat it, nor should they.

Luckily, this is a JL. And it seems they've got another one with the exact same color on the lot. They can easily swap the windshield frame, proceed with the sale, and get the dented one fixed or replaced while they work things out with their insurance carrier or whatever policy they have in place for situations like these. Again, I don't know if they can simply swap these things out between vehicles. There may be some policies or legalities in place that prevent such a thing, but surely they can figure something out.

There are a lot of options here that'll work out for both the dealership and the buyer, but demanding they just shave off $5,000 before they've even had a chance to make things right isn't one of them.

Jlb27537

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Honda Pilot, '12 Ram 3500 DRW Cummins
Occupation
Retired
You folks have no clue what happens at the assembly plants or at the dealer level.

Had this been a stock inventory order, the dealer would fix it, put it on the lot, sell it and if the new buyer had a issue with the paint, that then becomes a warranty issue.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
You folks have no clue what happens at the assembly plants or at the dealer level.

Had this been a stock inventory order, the dealer would fix it, put it on the lot, sell it and if the new buyer had a issue with the paint, that then becomes a warranty issue.
I wouldn’t want to be the guy trying to get a manufacturer to cover a repaint warranty claim. Who knows who did it or when?

My very first new car I ever owned had acid rain damage about the size of a half dollar on the hood and Ford wouldn’t do anything about it.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Yeah, I'd trust the factory to fix it right. My dealership discounted mine because it was late in delivery. Why couldn't his dealership discount it for a ding?
Sponsored