Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thank you. I'll definitely post photos when I eventually make the aluminum version. I think when I make a finalized aluminum one, I may sell a few. It depends on how cost effective I can make them, and how time consuming they are to produce. To really blow everyone's minds I could have the aluminum anodized in natural, blue, red, black or pink. I'm sure there's some Rubicon owners who'd like a red enclosure.
Sponsored

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with a box is that it wastes a lot of space unnecessarily. The others, like Slipstream have a solid idea, build a complete cover and a back wall.

2019-06-24 11.44.49.jpg

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
Different applications for different purposes. I have been brain storming on my box, medium is wood. I will do one to the TJ first then adapt it to the JLU, medium will be aluminum.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The problem with a box is that it wastes a lot of space unnecessarily. The others, like Slipstream have a solid idea, build a complete cover and a back wall.
I looked at Slipstream's product. The two main problems I had with it were the price (outrageous), and the gap it leaves at the front of the tub. At a thousand dollars that thing should not have a gap at the front when the hardtop is put back on.
gap-jpg.jpg

As for wasted space with the box. There's not really much loss if you make it collapsible. The only space I'm giving up is about an inch worth of width where the panels sit against the walls. On an aluminum version the panels could be made thinner, so the lost space would likely be 1/2" at most. So a custom made enclosure, or a Tuffy enclosure don't waste as much room as Diabolical wants you to think it does.
If you're referring to the gaps on the side where you "lose" space between the box walls and Jeep walls (over the wheel arches) I actually find that space MORE usable now. By having the box walls there I can actually put stuff in the created "pockets" rather than just having shelf at the side of the enclosure. Set anything on the arches without a wall and it's never going to stay there. Wasted space.
I keep an old hoodie and a few emergency lights tucked in my wall pockets. Nothing super expensive in case I have the top off and they disappear, but that's no different than anything left on the floor or under the seats with the top off.

Pocket storage (1).jpg

Pocket storage (3).jpg

Nothing against Diabolical's cover. It's nice, and I strongly considered it. For some people it's the right choice. Not for me though, I had issues, and at that price point I ought to have no issues at all. I think David said it best... different applications for different purposes.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at Slipstream's product. The two main problems I had with it were the price (outrageous), and the gap it leaves at the front of the tub. At a thousand dollars that thing should not have a gap at the front when the hardtop is put back on.
That was my problem with it too. When you compare it to Tuffy's enclosure too, which is about $200 less. I just dunno. I think both products have a huge markup on margin there. I bet both are close in cost to manufacture.

And I am unsure about the strength of the top of that thing when carrying a 100lbs + cooler. Might be able to carry some sleeping bags and stuff under a net, but I really wonder about the strength of it. I considered the Slipstream good and hard. But eventually passed on it.

Also, that does seem like an oversight in the design by not going all the way forward. Just looks incomplete.

The box design does at least give you the ability to enclose it under the roof. I pretty much have to remove mine to put the rooftop back on.

OffroadTreks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU 2.0TE
Vehicle Showcase
His product is great. Maybe a little too much on the cost, if I'm being honest. I think he should price it right below the Tuffy box. He'll still come out ahead on materials cost. And then he needs to work on advertising that thing.

But I bought it, as I wanted to support fellow small business owner. I have my own woodshop and was having a hard time making a template I liked. So I purchased his.

A few things I feel like I'm going to change later, now that I've been using it for a few weeks. Just a couple of ideas I have. Probably email him about them. Will likely build my own version two this winter based on what I'd like to do for my own purposes.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I actually built one similar to the jftops design before my current enclosure. I used it briefly, and designed a rail system to mount UNDER the tub rails so the top could go on/off with it installed. It worked well, but the problem was it couldn't easily be taken on/off to haul anything tall. I considered making it a more modular design that could fold, or come out in more than two pieces, but doing so really weakened the design. If you're a top off all the time kind of Jeeper, it's a great concept.
I'll see if I've still got my CAD designs for the version I made. If so I'll post them up so people can make their own.

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 1998 TJ Sport 2011 Extreme Camper
Occupation
HR Manager
gap-jpg.jpg

As for wasted space with the box. There's not really much loss if you make it collapsible. The only space I'm giving up is about an inch worth of width where the panels sit against the walls. On an aluminum version the panels could be made thinner, so the lost space would likely be 1/2" at most. So a custom made enclosure, or a Tuffy enclosure don't waste as much room as Diabolical wants you to think it does.
If you're referring to the gaps on the side where you "lose" space between the box walls and Jeep walls (over the wheel arches) I actually find that space MORE usable now. By having the box walls there I can actually put stuff in the created "pockets" rather than just having shelf at the side of the enclosure. Set anything on the arches without a wall and it's never going to stay there. Wasted space.
I keep an old hoodie and a few emergency lights tucked in my wall pockets. Nothing super expensive in case I have the top off and they disappear, but that's no different than anything left on the floor or under the seats with the top off.

Pocket storage (1).jpg

Pocket storage (3).jpg

Nothing against Diabolical's cover. It's nice, and I strongly considered it. For some people it's the right choice. Not for me though, I had issues, and at that price point I ought to have no issues at all. I think David said it best... different applications for different purposes.
You could easily add a hinge with carpeted wood to those four spots to “cover” them. You know what I’m trying to say.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, I could cover them, but I actually like having the pockets. They're convenient. Good recommendation though.

Sponsored

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
It should. I don't have a soft top to test it, but the sides should leave enough room for the soft top frame to fold down (I'm assuming that's the concern based on issues I've seen with other enclosures). If it doesn't fit the way I've got it designed, it could be adapted to work. The best part about making your own stuff, is you can make it work however you want.
The soft top folds down into the depressions on the sides. So, your design wouldn't work...in fact, none of the caps would work. You could lower the box under those depressions and be good. You would still have more than enough space for whatever you wanted to put in there...and the top would still be usable for extra storage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah after looking a little closer at some soft tops, I see it sits as low as the depression all the way across the back. I don't remember if I posted it, or thought about a design, but the enclosure could be made with a hinge on the rear panel to allow it to angle down below the depression. I don't think it would be hard to adapt for a soft top version.
Any soft top owners in the area who want to give this a shot?

hildji01

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Started my copy. Not as nice but it's a work in progress. Also trying to time lockdowns to find everything isnt fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 20200512_180835

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 20200512_181133

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 20200512_184106

20200513_220405.jpg

20200513_220411.jpg

Last edited:

bdubschitown

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Us soft top owners got the shaft! Hard to find a rear enclosure that sits low enough for the top to sit flush when down but still remain high enough to stuff a couple moving blankets and the computer bag underneath. So made my own. Thanks to others for eye-bolt locking idea works like a champ and with the tint, hard to tell from outside that it's not just the truck. Sits up about 9"
Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 IMG_2456
Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 IMG_2454
Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 IMG_2455

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Started my copy. Not as nice but it's a work in progress. Also trying to time lockdowns to find everything isnt fun.
Looking good so far. :like:

An update I'm planning, that you may want to try on yours as you build, is to spit on the front panel in line with the seats. This will allow you to fold one portion of the front panel down while leaving a seat up. As my current design is, I have to fold both seats down to lower the front panel.
I haven't developed it yet, but you should only need one or maybe two things do make the update. The easy one is an extra hinge set to put on each new "half" of the front panel (at the split) that way both halves still have two hinges to keep them opening straight. The part I'm still working on is if I want to add something to create a stop for the top edge near the split. I've got a few idea, but I'm trying to figure out which method would work best. I'll update the thread if I decide to add this split and what I come up with for the stop if I do.
Sponsored