Sponsored

Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Awesome write-up! I am curious about how the sub sounds with the enclosure.
I want to say it sounds better, as there is less space with minimal resistance.
Thanks again for a great idea and measurements!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The sub sounds great. No noticeable difference in sound quality or volume. Of course I don't crank the radio really loud, so it's easy to dial to a level I want.
I can open or close the enclosure and don't hear a difference in quality. In my original design I considered making a few holes, or putting in some grates so the sub wasn't "covered". I also considered that the enclosure may act as a sub box and make it sound better. It turns out none of it was an issue. It just sounds like it always has.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
The sub sounds great. No noticeable difference in sound quality or volume. Of course I don't crank the radio really loud, so it's easy to dial to a level I want.
I can open or close the enclosure and don't hear a difference in quality. In my original design I considered making a few holes, or putting in some grates so the sub wasn't "covered". I also considered that the enclosure may act as a sub box and make it sound better. It turns out none of it was an issue. It just sounds like it always has.
Very nice! I appreciate the info.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I built my own from steel square tubing and 16 gauge aluminum sheet:
secure04.jpg

secure03.jpg

It works similar to the slipstream with a double folding top. I moved the tie down hardware up from the floor to the deck. As with the slipstream, it won't let the top lock in the open position but a bungee keeps it secure when down. Soooooo many pattern pieces cut from 1/4" plywood!

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Looks like you did a great job with it.

Sponsored

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks. It's working very well and, just as important, is completely free of squeaks and rattles! I have around $225 bucks in it for material and hardware. Waiting for the muse to tell me to paint it or leave the raw aluminum....

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Shots, what kind of carpet did you use on this? a year later, are there after-thoughts on what you would do differently or improvements you would incorporate?

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The carpet is a standard indoor/outdoor carpet. I considered a marine carpet but figured it won't get wet very often (if at all) so the porch stuff works fine. No issues with it so far.

As for improvements. The only thing so far is the most recent note, about splitting the front panel so a longer item can be fit without folding both seats down. That revision is in the works. I've been playing with my drafting software to figure out how best to do it.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Okay so I went very basic on the process of splitting the front panel. I pulled the carpet back, I added a set of hinges to the medial portion of the panel, and then cut a roughly 3/4" gap at the seam of the seats. I laid the carpet back down with the newly cut edges hanging "loose" to cover the new gap. With both panels up the gap is barely noticeable. With a single panel down it looks a bit sloppy so I may wrap the carpet to give it a more finished look. I'm undecided, because wrapping it then exposes the gap, which may look sloppy too.
In the mean time, here's a few photos of the development of the current revision. Now that I may have a final revision, I'll have to get around to making a production version with PVC or metal.

PS. Please excuse the background clutter I was randomly getting stuff out of the way while I worked.

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 split mod 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 split mod 2

Jeep Wrangler JL Custom cargo "security" enclosure for under $100 split mod 3

Last edited:

buzz998

First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Ok. Love the idea. Just don't have the skill to do it. But looking at it and reading through I had a thought... What if you made a hinged shelf just far enough above the floor to accommodate the freedom panels in their bag underneath? Because then you could have storage above the panels without placing anything on the panels when they are out. And the shelf being hinged would also allow access to the jack and regular JL storage area.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Oddly enough I actually considered something like that. I never developed it since I ended up getting a Sunrider so I don't have to worry about panel storage anymore.
I highly recommend getting one, and think it should be standard on the hardtop. If not on all models they could make it a Sahara item like the leather dash.
Anyway, that's a very good idea, and wouldn't be too difficult to implement. However, as I was envisioning it I was going to make it removable (instead of hinged) so you can haul large items or dogs (like I frequently do).

JeepNYak

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Very cool. Should sell these. Wish I had the tools to do myself

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I haven't ruled out selling them yet. I still haven't made a production version yet though.
About this time last year we had to make some changes for our senior dog, and I've had the seats folded down since then to accommodate her. I suppose last year wouldn't have been the best for marketing/producing a new product anyway since the pandemic shut everything down. Maybe this year I can make it marketable.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
In case any of you haven't seen the tread, I've removed all my mods and I'm selling everything off (I bought another truck). This enclosure took a lot of time to design/build so I hope someone can get some use out of it.

$30, and I will ship if you cover the cost. I doubt shipping something this size will be cheap though but the option is there.

View attachment 476571

View attachment 476572

View attachment 476573

View attachment 476574

View attachment 476575

View attachment 476576

View attachment 476577

View attachment 477070

View attachment 477071

Grateful1

First Name
Grateful