Sponsored

Cube mounting Light

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Side question ... where are your spots aimed? Both up-and-down and side-to-side. I currently have them aimed level up-and-down and parallel to the center line of the Jeep for side-to-side. More interested in trail visibility than high speed blacktop driving.

Rigid D-SS on the A pillars. I have mine aimed parallel to the path of the Jeep laterally, and have the base of the beam sit on the top of the low beam pattern. I run them with the low beams and fogs on, as they scatter light in the immediate area in front of the Jeep, where the rigids wind up where the factory high beams are aimed, but far more intense and taller.

DwouQzLl.jpg
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
What is the beam pattern on the side shooters is it driving flod spot etc? And do you know the dispersion angle ?

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the beam pattern on the side shooters is it driving flod spot etc? And do you know the dispersion angle ?
It’s described in detail on rigids site with a ‘beam simulator’.

But they’re spots with floods on the outside edges. It throws a smooth dispersion of medium intensity from about 90 degrees to center out to maybe 50 feet. There’s a smooth transition in the beam pattern into the spots, and the spots throw out to a 1/4 mile and up to 150’ high when aimed like the high beams.

IMHO they replace both spots and driving beams. I had old school KC daylighters on my JK. 130w spots, 100w drivers, and 55w fogs. The rigid D-SS on my JL easily replaces the entire 6 light setup I had prior. The light is not as intense, but the light is a much more efficient pattern and color (the KC spots were very tight beams, and the KC drivers had a lot of scatter in a yellow color), so it appears to have the same coverage.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
This is a pretty cool thread. I Ordered the Inspired engineering gammas they are similar to the side shooter that rigid sells. They have a flood form the side shooters and a pretty intense 8 degree spot these are going on the A- pillar. I am considering adding a flood beam pattern that fits in between the begining of the spot and end of the headlights so thinking of a flood that fits the zone between

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

But they’re spots with floods on the outside edges. It throws a smooth dispersion of medium intensity from about 90 degrees to center out to maybe 50 feet. There’s a smooth transition in the beam pattern into the spots, and the spots throw out to a 1/4 mile and up to 150’ high when aimed like the high beams.

IMHO they replace both spots and driving beams. I had old school KC daylighters on my JK. 130w spots, 100w drivers, and 55w fogs. The rigid D-SS on my JL easily replaces the entire 6 light setup I had prior. The light is not as intense, but the light is a much more efficient pattern and color (the KC spots were very tight beams, and the KC drivers had a lot of scatter in a yellow color), so it appears to have the same coverage.
I have the same 130 w Daylighter spots, first halogen then dropped the LED replacement in the buckets and their HID 6" driving lights. The spots were tight like you said and the halogens had a reflective distance of one mile. The LEDs still have a tight spot but not as long distance. The HIDs were a good driving pattern and were white with a little blue. I had the spots on the pillars and the driving on the front bumper angled outward to see the ditches. Fogs are only good for the first 20 feet. I haven't found a good cube or bar spot (under 50") yet because their small reflector size don't give them the tightness or power. Those four lights worked well driving late at night on deserted Wyoming highways to spot deer and antelope at the side of the road.
So if someone can show me a a smaller than 6" LED spot light that can match that please let me know so I can buy them for my JL. And not the $900 a pair I see some companies charge.
Thanks.

Firemadz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Battalion Chief
This is a pretty cool thread. I Ordered the Inspired engineering gammas they are similar to the side shooter that rigid sells. They have a flood form the side shooters and a pretty intense 8 degree spot these are going on the A- pillar. I am considering adding a flood beam pattern that fits in between the begining of the spot and end of the headlights so thinking of a flood that fits the zone between
How are these working out for you? Any pics of the install and light output you can share? I’m looking and going in this direction too. Thanks

Dantmcb26

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Rigid D-SS on the A pillars. I have mine aimed parallel to the path of the Jeep laterally, and have the base of the beam sit on the top of the low beam pattern. I run them with the low beams and fogs on, as they scatter light in the immediate area in front of the Jeep, where the rigids wind up where the factory high beams are aimed, but far more intense and taller.

DwouQzLl.jpg

Do all you guys do this yourself? I got quoted 1500 bucks in labor, for headlights, A Pilar lights and a bumper. Seems like a lot to me

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Do all you guys do this yourself? I got quoted 1500 bucks in labor, for headlights, A Pilar lights and a bumper. Seems like a lot to me
1,500 bucks...that's considered larceny in some states. I've installed both bumpers & wired all my lighting, front & back, on my own. Most owners here have done the same. Do you have specific questions regarding any install?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Replaced the Rigid D series Pro 3" cube spots that are too weak and wide with KC 6" LED spots. The first picture is the Rigid lights and the bottom the KC. They have a tighter beam and go much further. The Rigids are more of a flood/driving beam. I already have the KC HID driving lights on the bumper so want something that can see hundreds of yards down the road.

20190220_192338.jpg
20190220_192308.jpg

Sponsored

DToxic

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

I've been on the fence between driving and spot pattern...your pic helps showcase that the spot pattern actually fills the foreground fairly well. Plus, hood glare is minimal! Any reason you'd opt for the driving pattern if you had to do it over again?

Do you have a pic aimed more towards the side view mirrors? I'm curious how bright the "cornering" portion of the lens is. I'm hoping fairly bright because that's 95% of the reason why I want the D-SS.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been on the fence between driving and spot pattern...your pic helps showcase that the spot pattern actually fills the foreground fairly well. Plus, hood glare is minimal! Any reason you'd opt for the driving pattern if you had to do it over again?

Do you have a pic aimed more towards the side view mirrors? I'm curious how bright the "cornering" portion of the lens is. I'm hoping fairly bright because that's 95% of the reason why I want the D-SS.

If I were to the drivers, I’d put them on the bumper. The side beams are about as intense as the factory fogs. More than enough to cleanly illuminate stuff on either side of the fenders out to about 50-75 feet.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
My order of "3M 1080 M12 Matte Black 5ft x 1 ft (5sq/ft) car wrap vinyl film" arrived yesterday. Cut a strip 1" wide by about 2.1" long ... trimmed the ends to a taper matching the bezel on the light .. Rigid D-SS spots. Goes on dry, so took some futzing to accomplish. Took it out tonight to see if it does the trick ... yep, side bleed is absent. Now to see if it'll stay on the lens for any length of time.

With side tape.jpg

I've now had the 3M "side shields" on for just short of 4 months and they are still in place and functioning great. They've gone through snow, rain, cold, heat, and my pressure washer (don't aim it directly 'cuz the Rigids aren't rated for that) and no problems with them coming loose.

Now if only Rigid would come up with a commercial fix ... think they're screwing it off since their "in the field" testers aren't complaining.

47Jeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR Diesel ... 2018 GC Summit
Occupation
Retired
With the addition of the JLTazer, to reprogram the Jeep to keep the fogs on full time and the Side Shooter Spots, I'm very happy with the amount of light available on the trail at night. Here are some pictures of the different light patterns ... had to get my nephew with a manually controllable camera to take these ... my Brownie didn't work well.

LOW BEAMS ONLY:

P1020421.JPG

LOW BEAMS AND FOGS:

P1020420.JPG

HIGH BEAMS ONLY:

P1020419.JPG

HIGH BEAMS AND FOGS:

P1020418.JPG

HIGH BEAMS, FOGS, AND RIGID SIDE SHOOTERS:

P1020417.JPG

AND, A QUICK LOOK OUT THE SIDE OF THE WINDOW WITH THE SIDE SHOOTERS ON:

P1020422.JPG