Sponsored

Cube mounting Light

Luis Angel Reyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2D StingGray, F-150 SuperCrew, Venza
looking for an alternative to the Artec A-pillar, I found this but it seems that they are not yet available. Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 2.07.41 PM.png
Sponsored

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
If you only need 1 led cube per pillar the ACE spacer has worked pretty well for me. Only 20 bucks as well.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
I am going to run Rigid D-SS spots on the windshield.....and just got tired of waiting for a decent option to become available. So I ordered the Rough Country cube kit just to rob the mounts from it (which is my favorite mount available now.....and Ive been looking since january). Its still $45 cheaper than going with the Mopar mounts.....and they don't ruin the lines of the jeep like the Mopar does either.

I like how it moves the cube off to the sides of the A-pillar and out of my line of sight too.

jeep-led-hood-kit_70052-alt.jpg

....Ill probably still use the RC cubes, but probably as reverse or side lighting.

JeepingKarla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Occupation
Mothetfucker
I second Xpsruler

20180430_181201.jpg

20180430_181201.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Luis Angel Reyes

Luis Angel Reyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2D StingGray, F-150 SuperCrew, Venza
I do not understand why Rough Country doesn’t sell the mount alone, I also think it is the best mount so far.
JeepingKarla, nice wireless remote switch!

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ran the Rigid harness. It has *exactly* enough signal wire to mount an overhead switch. Not a fraction of an inch to spare. I put the relay inside the passenger dash edge panel that faces the door, so theres not a mess of wires passing through the foam seal at the base of the windshield. The loomed signal wire bundle was tucked under the plastic trim around the A pillar to the top of the windshield.

This was the scariest part......

EY5ZBsal.jpg

With it mounted here, its out of the way, still easy to get to, and the LED indicator isn't blasting me in the face.

xdMdtlcl.jpg

Im still waiting on the RC lights to come in so I can rob the mounts and put the D-SS's on.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got the RC kit in, and was able to mount up the Rigid D-SS's.

eEttvV9l.jpg

Heres my thoughts....

....In no way am I trying to bash on Rough country here....their $99 package deal is still a good value.....but I was a bit disappointed with the quality of the lights.

The mounts are thin stamped sheet metal (to be expected at this price point) but they are lopsided...noticeably. This is some lax QC.

HEk8q1wl.jpg

Also, the lights are definitely painted (again, to be expected at this price point), but there are a number of bubbles all around the housing. I could see this paint fading and flaking off after just a season or two in the salty north.

A9pHDkDl.jpg

Again....not trying to rub RC too much.... but the lopsided brackets are just a bit over the edge for me in the QC department. Value price point or not.

Im still going to use them, but either on the bumper or as reverse lights.

The mounts themselves are a heavy gauge steel, and are powder coated in a rough texture matte finish. They do sit quite low though. The mounting bolt for the Rigid and RC cubes come in contact with the cowl. I ended up having to take off 5 threads from the bottom to get enough clearance.

pQvqXOll.jpg

But other than that, I really like the mount. It puts the cubes well off to the side and down low out of my field of vision.

B6DVLWml.jpg

Overall Im very pleased with this setup.

VnTwodVl.jpg

4qXfzUll.jpg

I also ordered 3 sets of covers too. Amber, to help with visibility in snow/ dust, smoke, to reduce total output if I need to, and DOT approved blackout covers (its a $250/ea fine for having uncovered off road lamps mounted above factory headlights.) Quadreatec had them on sale for like $7....so I just went nuts.

DK52pURl.jpg

Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran 700w of lights on the front of my JK.....and never had an issue. The only time I covered the lenses was on highway trips. I see lots of brodozers and other jeeps in the area with uncovered light bars and lamps. My guess its not enforced unless you're A: running the lights on the street, or B: the cop doesn't like you and wants to throw everything he can at you. $7 light covers are cheap insurance for the random cop that had a fight with his wife that morning.

But technically, yes, its $250 per infraction for any non highway use lamp mounted above the factory headlights here in MI.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just uploaded a video showing the D-SS spots.

As usual, the video does not do the actual light output justice. Its not blow your socks off bright, but it is impressive. An excellent enhancement to the already good factory lights (I changed the factory bulbs out for Philips +100's...a big improvement unto themselves). The thing that I like the most about them, is the side shooter feature. With the lights mounted so far back and close to my head, the side shooter beams fill my entire field of view. They brightly illuminate everything off center of the vehicle's lane to the edge of my vision on either side, but without being overpoweringly bright. Easily illuminates every path at a 4 way stop....which is a huge plus for me when I run unmarked forestry trails and am not sure which turn to make.

I also tried out the two different filters I got with them (amber and smoke). The amber takes all the blue out of the light. It makes it look more like the incandescent headlights. Good for dusty/ snowy conditions. Reduces glare considerably. The smoke lenses reduce total light output by 2/3's. I guess this could be good if you're following someone a few hundred yards up trail.