Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
2018 with 3.6L and auto transmission.

History: About 4 months ago we had the radiator replaced under warranty because it had developed a leak. Ever since I often check the reservoir bottle to make sure the level is all good and it has been.

We just got back from a 3 week long trip where we drove from Raleigh NC to Flagstaff AZ, off roaded, then off to Moab, off roaded, then off to Ouray, off roaded, then back to Raleigh.
Total of about 4700 miles, lots of 7 to 9 hour days on highways but also solely off roading.

Altitudes went from 300 ft above sea level to 12,900 ft above sea level. Temperatures from 95 to 54 degrees. Temps in engine were always normal but actually jumped 10 - 15 degrees when it was much cooler out and at altitude. It's funny to be at 96 degrees in Moab and running 204 coolant temp and then be at 54 degrees in Ouray at 12,000 feet and be at 214 but that is because the engine is working much harder due to thinner air.

The question is: can any of this have had an effect on the coolant level. It has dropped 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the reservoir bottle where previously it remained CONSTANT.
I can not smell any antifreeze at all.
Sponsored

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
Coolant system is a closed system, so if you're losing coolant, should only be leaking externally or burning it internally. But I have no experience with altitude. Sub'd to see what people suggest.

Djmatt85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that there may have been a few air pockets that worked their way out over the past few weeks causing a drop in the reservoir. Some of the new cooling systems are difficult to bleed (or the tech didnā€™t do it properly). I would monitor just to be on the safe side, but should be okay.

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is that there may have been a few air pockets that worked their way out over the past few weeks causing a drop in the reservoir. Some of the new cooling systems are difficult to bleed (or the tech didnā€™t do it properly). I would monitor just to be on the safe side, but should be okay.
Ah, good point. I will top it off with distilled water and monitor. We are about to kick the 36k bumper to bumper warranty after only 1.5 years of owning it but I believe this would be under the mechanical 60k warranty. Plus we bought a 100k bumper to bumper as well.

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
I tow alot (around 3,000lbs) and I noticed that the coolant reservoir was about 1 inch less of coolant. I bought mopar coolant and just topped it off to the max line on the reservoir. Also, I don't have a leak. The engine stays same temp throughout.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Ah, good point. I will top it off with distilled water and monitor. We are about to kick the 36k bumper to bumper warranty after only 1.5 years of owning it but I believe this would be under the mechanical 60k warranty. Plus we bought a 100k bumper to bumper as well.
If you top it off with distilled water, not a 50/50 mix, will that effect the coolant solution balance, and the boiling point ?

OP
OP
mgroeger

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you top it off with distilled water, not a 50/50 mix, will that effect the coolant solution balance, and the boiling point ?
It's such a tiny amount of water that it won't. We're talking like 4 ounces of water in the bottle to raise it to the line.

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
Bumping an old thread. I find that I have to top off my coolant every so often. Temps never go up but I find that the coolant always seems to float around the min mark. I top it to max and a few thousand miles later itā€™s back down on min. Small leak or is this normal?

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
It's not normal to have to continually top off the coolant.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Bumping an old thread. I find that I have to top off my coolant every so often. Temps never go up but I find that the coolant always seems to float around the min mark. I top it to max and a few thousand miles later itā€™s back down on min. Small leak or is this normal?
Hello @crackrk
We recommend bringing this concern to the attention of your dealer. Please feel free to send our team a private message prior to your appointment, as we would be happy to offer additional support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
Your reservoir (the plastic thing in the bay) isn't supposed to be full. It is an expansion tank that allows the water to go into it when hot and go back into the system when full. That is not an indication of your coolant levels, if you want to check that you would need to open the radiator when its cold.