First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4 Door Sport S 2020 JT Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
New crack in my JLU. Small rock hit the lower edge of the glass, and it cracked within a minute. My wife's JT now has two dings but no crack yet.
Sponsored

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
I am getting my second replacement this week. They are bringing an aftermarket version this time, which apparently accommodates ACC. I asked them to verify this several times, so we will see what shows up on Thursday. I am hoping the safety features work with the new one so I don't have to get another OEM piece. I will keep you posted.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
Lite Brite just did a replacement Windshield that seems to last longer than OEM

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
Mine cracked in Montana and went from a small chip at the top edge to across my entire windshield over the span of 6 weeks. It elongated during the morning when the defroster or heater was turned on. She was only 11mos old at the time at around 25,000mi.

After watching the LiteBrite video I'll go aftermarket to have it replaced after the winter. Dealer wanted $1,000 for OEM glass (and they said they outsourced it anyways). Safelite and local installers $600 total for OEM Willy glass, and they drive to me.

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Lite Brite just did a replacement Windshield that seems to last longer than OEM
I haven't been able to find that brand of glass in the video with an online search. Has anyone? Seems like a small glass shop in NY, but doubt they make the glass.

Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Which aftermarket are you going with? I saw a vid from LiteBrite that showed them having success with an aftermarket.
Just got the new glass put in. Looks like it's Fuyao. Their reputation is so-so, but for $210 installed (versus $525 for Mopar glass from the same shop) I'll give it a shot.

For what it's worth, we've also had a Fuyao windshield on our Honda Element car-camping-dog-moving rig for the past 115k miles and it's held up marvelously.

Optically, it seems as clear as the Mopar stuff, with no obvious distortion to speak of. Same is true of the glass on the Element. I think the glass on the Jeep looks more like "factory" glass though, whereas there's something about the one on the Element that looks "cheaper" (color? not sure). This is obviously all subjective.

Time will tell if it holds up better than the Mopar windshield. It certainly can't be WORSE because the Mopar has survived precisely ZERO small pebbles. So if this Fuyao can deflect even one piece of anything, it already wins in my book. Haha.

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
Been driving my 2018 JLU since June 30, 2018. (It just hit 44,000 miles yesterday!) About 17 months in, a rock hit the windshield....a crack formed the next day and crept right across the center left to right.

Ironically enough, the dealer where I bought the Jeep had the lowest price - $289 installed. Safelite was $574 and AAA was like $534 - and both of those two were NOT coming to me...I had to go to their shop. My deductible is $500, so no reason to use insurance.

Last edited:

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Based on some reading I've been doing online (which at some point was also addressed on this forum), seems that acoustic glass is weaker than standard glass. My three Mopar windshields were acoustic.

Unfortunately, I just today noticed that my aftermarket Fuyao windshield is also stamped with "Acoustic". I suspect I'm going to be on my fifth windshield very soon. Fingers crossed that it still outlasts the Mopars...

Will probably go back to Mopar if/when this breaks, but a plain-ol' non-acoustic one.

TxJeep69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 IH Scout, a few others
I am getting my second replacement this week. They are bringing an aftermarket version this time, which apparently accommodates ACC. I asked them to verify this several times, so we will see what shows up on Thursday. I am hoping the safety features work with the new one so I don't have to get another OEM piece. I will keep you posted.
UPDATE: They brought another OEM piece initially and I told them no, so they brought and installed an aftermarket version this morning. If you tap on it the sound is less tinny and more solid like a normal windshield. This glass also has the opening and heating element for the camera. It also has no set pins like the OEM glass, it floats on glue like most others. I will update the thread as I get more time with it. Hoping this one works better. I am also curious if the stereo sounds any different. I will report on that also, once I have tested it.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Just got the new glass put in. Looks like it's Fuyao. Their reputation is so-so, but for $210 installed (versus $525 for Mopar glass from the same shop) I'll give it a shot.

For what it's worth, we've also had a Fuyao windshield on our Honda Element car-camping-dog-moving rig for the past 115k miles and it's held up marvelously.

Optically, it seems as clear as the Mopar stuff, with no obvious distortion to speak of. Same is true of the glass on the Element. I think the glass on the Jeep looks more like "factory" glass though, whereas there's something about the one on the Element that looks "cheaper" (color? not sure). This is obviously all subjective.

Time will tell if it holds up better than the Mopar windshield. It certainly can't be WORSE because the Mopar has survived precisely ZERO small pebbles. So if this Fuyao can deflect even one piece of anything, it already wins in my book. Haha.
Fuyao is one of the largest automotive glass companies in the world. They manufacture automotive glass for many car companies like GM, WV, BMW, Ford, Subaru, Bentley. Unfortunately they make the windshields for FCA and our JLs. I am sure Fuyao is capable of making quality windshields but it does not seem like FCA specifying it?

There is a interesting documentary called American Factory about Fuyao's business culture and opening factories in America.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9351980/

Last edited:

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
10 weeks in. Who’s gonna make the “Cracked windshield club” decals?
upload_2020-1-21_7-8-41.jpeg

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Just rejoined the club for the first time in my post-JK days... didn’t even make it to 2 months in the JL. Was really hoping that the additional rake in the windshield would help, ugh. Hopefully it can be filled. Stupid ass Verizon truck in front of me.

9D9F0D73-5993-43F1-AC9F-6B815B8F69A3.jpeg

Are you sure your dealer didn't offer you 1 year free replacement warranty on the windshield? Mine did.

pianomankd

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL - Sting Gray
Mine cracked. Within two days Safelight was in my driveway with an OEM glass and it was replaced free of charge.

No complaints!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Mine cracked. Within two days Safelight was in my driveway with an OEM glass and it was replaced free of charge.

No complaints!
Safelight is great. Mopar windshields are not so great.

By the way, the complaints usually start after your second replacement windshield. Then again after the third. lol!
Sponsored