Cracked Windshield Club

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
2018 JL with 22,000 miles, it hit 12 degrees F last night and the windshield popped a 2 foot crack. It's kind of pathetic on Jeep's part. This is the first car I've had that couldn't handle the cold without crapping itself. I'm not hating - we love the Jeep, but things like this make you question their quality control.

The good news - I called it in at noon today and Safe-lite will install a full new windshield tomorrow afternoon with $0 deductible on my car insurance policy (even though it's clearly a manufacturing defect - it's just not worth trying to deal with my dealer and waiting a week).
Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Well I said it looked like they were going to try and get it covered under warranty. While I haven't heard any different, I was told I should hear something by January 29. Well that came and went, and as of last Thursday it was still "pending". In the meantime the crack has grown a couple of inches in length, and with the cold that is supposed to be hitting this week, I expect it'll grow several more.

flyingyogi

First Name
yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep sahara ecodiesel
Bam, just like that I became a member in a club I didn't want to😂😂.

Turned my diesel on remotely, brushed the 4 inches of snow off the windshield to find 1/4 inch of ice under it. It cracked on the button middle going up about 2 inches then left a foot.
I'll guess I'll see the dealer on Monday.

Jack Arthur

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2.0L
I purchased JLR new on September 30 — as of today the third windshield cracked across from the bottom at -5 degrees F. The first two were rock chips that spidered across the entire windshield. I even put a deflector on the hood, hoping to reduce rock impacts. I guess this is par for the course?

iamstillvince

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler sport s
its that hard hitting flat angle i guess, 4 months in i have 1 chip i sealed myself but due to a high speed wind storm picking up all the dust and gravel in parking lot, its pitted like it was 4 years old.

Sponsored

Prioritypest

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 2019 Land Rover Discovery 2020 Jeep Willys
Add me to the list, went up to Sedona on Saturday ran broken arrow then went and got lunch and came back to a cracked windshield. No chips or damage as i only have 6k miles on it. Safelight is replacing tomorrow.

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, the good news is that when I called the dealership service department today they said the new windshield was approved under warranty. The bad new is that I'm quickly losing faith in that service department. I was told I would hear something "in a few days". After two weeks I was told it was still pending. I actually didn't bug them after that until today (a month from when they did the ticket) because I really didn't want it replaced in the middle of the extreme cold anyway. When I called they had to look it up. Also turns out they are not approved to do glass, so they have to order the glass through a sub, then schedule it so me and the sub go there at the same time to have the glass replaced.

They had to look up the status, which tells me it could have been approved two weeks ago and they just didn't know or didn't do anything. Makes me wonder if I would have ever heard anything from them if I hadn't called. And this is the closest service department for my Jeep Wave oil changes and maintenance?

04JRB

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I went 18 months of daily driving before getting a chip in my windshield. I was expecting it to happen MUCH sooner. Mine can be fixed without replacing it I think. The rock that hit it, I saw it coming, and I actually flinched! Im surprised it didnt do more damage.

Sponsored

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Willy the Heep
FYI the Rainx windshield repair works decently. I have fixed about 5-10 chips and cracks over the last 5 years or so and would say it has about a 75% success rate for me. Worth a shot. One thing I would caution against is putting pressure on the windshield. The directions say if you cannot get a chip to fill to apply gentle pressure to the inside of the windshield. Proceed at your own risk as I have made a crack much worse by doing that! Mileage may vary.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cracked Windshield Club 8D173162-641A-4620-882A-68D490E82B0E

Jeep Wrangler JL Cracked Windshield Club 41D5652F-CC0C-4AAE-B65D-A45B394BF861

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used the rainx chip repair on our Buick and it worked quite nicely. It took a couple of tries to get it right, but that was on me learning, not the product. I may have to keep some in stock.

shelglass

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
I am in the club. Last week out of nowhere a crack comes up from the bottom middle of the windshield. Creeping up from the middle and across. Oh well it's covered under 12/12. Hope they use Gorilla Glass

Yngwie

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sarge Green JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got our third cracked windshield within one year of JL ownership. Thank goodness for windshield replacement being fully covered under comprehensive insurance.

At this rate, we will soon be on a first name-basis with the techs at the local SafeLite.
Sponsored