Cowl Mounts For Baja Design Lights

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I like the two light set up . The mount looks a little bulky but should hold the two lights securely . Looks like a spot and driving light correct?
The mount is very sturdy and secure which was a pleasant surprise for the price point. The inside light is spot and the outside light is driving/combo.

Jeep Wrangler JL Cowl Mounts For Baja Design Lights IMG_20200531_164238610_HDR
Sponsored

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
The mount is very sturdy and secure which was a pleasant surprise for the price point. The inside light is spot and the outside light is driving/combo.

Thinking of doing the same thing with the same lights. How much glare do the spots reflect off the hood? On my Tacoma they almost could not be used because of the glare.

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Thinking of doing the same thing with the same lights. How much glare do the spots reflect off the hood? On my Tacoma they almost could not be used because of the glare.
Initially I had just the driving/combo shooting forward and that had some glare but it was tolerable. With the spot light shooting forward it still lights up the hood some but no glare at all really. I'm happy with this setup. The beauty of this cheapo mount is you have options. You can also do side mount.

The Baja Desings lights are high quality for sure. Make sure to get the forum discount they offer.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hands down Kc mounts. Way better than the BD ones. I cannot speak to any others as I have not had them in my hands.
I've been eyeing those LP4's for a while, and am getting closer to focusing on lighting. What are your overall thoughts?

Thanks, and great looking Jeep!

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I've been eyeing those LP4's for a while, and am getting closer to focusing on lighting. What are your overall thoughts?

Thanks, and great looking Jeep!
i like them. The only thing about the LP4 on the cowl is the light from the side, it can be annoying. I have mine turned out a little bit. If you call BD they will more than likely tell you they are not designed for that location. The lights are bright and great quality.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
i like them. The only thing about the LP4 on the cowl is the light from the side, it can be annoying. I have mine turned out a little bit. If you call BD they will more than likely tell you they are not designed for that location. The lights are bright and great quality.
Thanks!

My bull bar is just a tad too low to fit a set of LP6's, so I've been toying with the idea of mounting a pair of amber 4's below it and a second pair of white led 4's on top of it.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
The terminations are complete on the lights and the harness is roughed in. The Baja connectors on the lights are too bulky and I always replace them.

I have to create the fuse side of the harness with a weatherpack fuse holder and connect all of it to the relay and battery.

Weatherpack connectors, heat shrink tubing, braided PET sleeving, and 14 gauge THHN wiring was used.

dT0TDQ.jpg

dT0zRj.jpg

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The terminations are complete on the lights and the harness is roughed in. The Baja connectors on the lights are too bulky and I always replace them.

I have to create the fuse side of the harness with a weatherpack fuse holder and connect all of it to the relay and battery.

Weatherpack connectors, heat shrink tubing, braided PET sleeving, and 14 gauge THHN wiring was used.
Good looking wiring! I’m working on harnesses for my LP6s. What diameter sleeping did you use? Mind sharing where you got it? Thanks!

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking wiring! I’m working on harnesses for my LP6s. What diameter sleeping did you use? Mind sharing where you got it? Thanks!
I used 1/8" and 1/4" sleeving in black/red since it matches the default color theme on my Rubicon. The lights have 1/4" on them and the harness has 1/8" on the individual 14 gauge wires and 1/4" encapsulating both.

I grabbed it from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B074GL89ML

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cleaned up the wiring that I previously did for the LED's on my rock sliders in preparation to wire the cowl lights (removed all of the split loom covering up top--left it going under the Jeep). I am going to have another relay mounting plate milled with more gap between the two relays so that I can have the wires running parallel with the fender (with the exception of the one wire that ties into the battery.

Making progress!!

dTZX9t.jpg

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Nice work! After you have your next bracket made consider taking a belt sander to the corners and round them off. It'll give it a little more "finished" look.

Later,
Johnny

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work! After you have your next bracket made consider taking a belt sander to the corners and round them off. It'll give it a little more "finished" look.

Later,
Johnny
Thanks! Yep; I had already planned to do that. I spent quite a bit of time polishing the sides, top, and bottom with 400 grit and 800 grit that I neglected to round the corners. The top surface is really smooth so the thermal paste can transfer any heat from the relay to the plate.

I will probably mask off the spaces under the relays and paint the upper part of the plate and the one mounting bolt with Mojito! so that it all looks factory.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Baja Designs sells their own kit with the A pillar cowl mount and lights.
Unfortunately, it appears the Baja cowl mounts will not work with the XL Sports (someone here mentioned they would be too "weak" and after mounting them, I have to agree. In fact, I am nearly convinced that a 4 point mount will be needed even if they are "thicker" two point mounts.

Back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
CarbonSteel

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of the single cowl mount bracket also. Post some pictures and let us know what you think?
The Baja mounts will not work very well long term with the XL Sports. The problem is the mounting point is not solid enough (the OEM A-pillar panels are plastic and actual mount is thin sheet metal beneath).

I will look at the KC mounts or the Mopar ones. For lights this large it will take a cross attachment mount (windshield and A-pillar) or a 4 point mount.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
The Baja mounts will not work very well long term with the XL Sports. The problem is the mounting point is not solid enough (the OEM A-pillar panels are plastic and actual mount is thin sheet metal beneath).

I will look at the KC mounts or the Mopar ones. For lights this large it will take a cross attachment mount (windshield and A-pillar) or a 4 point mount.
This is why I went with the KC. Two point mount, but very solid.
Sponsored