JeepCamper

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Mine burned up at 20k. Went with the centerforce clutch and it works great
My clutch went up on my 2018 JL with 31K miles. Over 3K to repair. We have drove sticks our entire life. This is unacceptable. NO support from Jeep.
Sponsored

JeepCamper

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
no warranty coverage. Out of pocket if I go that route.
im looking at aftermarket options but also not sure on lead times and supply at the moment. Need it fixed in the next couple weeks.
Same happened to us on our 2018 with 31K miles. We have driven sticks our entire life.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Really, they get 3K for a clutch job these days?

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
At first, some were coming of the line improperly bled. The first recall addressed that. The second recall is a safeguard to prevent catastrophic failure should slippage generate too much heat. Some who have replaced their clutch with aftermarket speculate that lack of a pilot bearing could be to blame. (This was only discovered when the first Centerforce guinea pigs hit the scene.) If the pressure plate has even a little wobble, it could be making contact on the “low” side. In reality, though, no one knows because Jeep won’t say. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž
My brand new 2021 Jeep Sahara had the catastrophic blowup with just shy of 12,000 miles. The safety recall software was done in March 2021 on my first servicing appt. My friend, after dropping me off for a medical appt, in my Jeep, was trying to drive home to wait for call to pick me up. Didn’t get 2 miles and everything went south. Lucky she wasn’t hurt or that Jeep didn’t catch fire. Jeep is seizing on fact that I wasn’t driving, claiming my friend’s inability to drive stick correctly caused the clutch to fail.

However, Jeep cannot explain how, even if that were remotely true, this resulted in the pressure plate exploding into the clutch, blowing a hole thru the bell housing, completely cutting the wiring harness and coolant line (easily a $10,000 repair bill). Needless to say, I am not going into the night quietly.

Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At a dealer yes. They wanted $1000 just for the stock clutch. It's a joke. I paid $1100 for a dual friction centerforce clutch and installed it myself.
Hopefully the Centerforce clutch works well for you. I'm still not a believer in the stock clutch setup and may be going down the same path as you. I have 270K on my original Civic clutch and had 150K on my S-10 before it went back in the day. It'll be interesting to see how this Mopar clutch holds up.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My brand new 2021 Jeep Sahara had the catastrophic blowup with just shy of 12,000 miles. The safety recall software was done in March 2021 on my first servicing appt. My friend, after dropping me off for a medical appt, in my Jeep, was trying to drive home to wait for call to pick me up. Didn’t get 2 miles and everything went south. Lucky she wasn’t hurt or that Jeep didn’t catch fire. Jeep is seizing on fact that I wasn’t driving, claiming my friend’s inability to drive stick correctly caused the clutch to fail.

However, Jeep cannot explain how, even if that were remotely true, this resulted in the pressure plate exploding into the clutch, blowing a hole thru the bell housing, completely cutting the wiring harness and coolant line (easily a $10,000 repair bill). Needless to say, I am not going into the night quietly.
Hi, csddoglover. If you would like to discuss your concerns further or need assistance while you're at the dealer, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Hi, csddoglover. If you would like to discuss your concerns further or need assistance while you're at the dealer, please send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Jeep Cares has already declined my claim, agreeing with the service dept that driver error is to blame. Area Service Rep also had investigated and came to same conclusion. Now dealer says they’ll pay my deductible if my insurance company pays for the repair. Adjuster came out yesterday without notifying me to allow me the opportunity to be there when he examined the vehicle. I guess Jeep prefers to wait to act on this until someone loses life or limb.

LuckyShooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Posted in another thread, for all ya'll thinking about purchasing a Centerforce Clutch for your JL...The newest revision is still having "moaning" issues on the release. Basically it sounds like an angry Chewbacca is living in the bell housing. CFs stance on the matter is, "normal" operating noises.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I have a 2020 JL Rubicon with manual transmission and 15,970 miles on the vehicle. I have taken it into my local dealer twice for clutch recall issues, the latest in November 2021. 3 weeks later my clutch failed in the middle of a 5 lane highway. I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they say it is user error and I need to pay $4500 for repair. I opened a case and it was summarily closed one day later, with FCA providing the same user error answer. I have driven stick for 15 years on Acuras and BMWs, hundreds of thousands of miles, never needing a single repair on a clutch. This is a disgrace. Has anyone had any luck at all in working with FCA on this? As an earlier poster referenced, there should be a class action lawsuit on this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
I have a 2020 JL Rubicon with manual transmission and 15,970 miles on the vehicle. I have taken the vehicle into my local dealer twice for clutch recall issues, the latest in November 2021. 3 weeks later my clutch failed in the middle of a 5 line highway. I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they say it is user error and I need to pay $4500 for repair. I opened a case and it was summarily closed one day later, with FCA providing the same user error answer. I have driven stick for 15 years on Acuras and BMWs, hundreds of thousands of miles, never needing a single repair on a clutch. This is a disgrace. Has anyone had any luck at all in working with FCA on this? As an earlier poster referenced, there should be a class action lawsuit on this.
Thanks for sharing. Through my nightmare, I was wondering if my outcome would have been different if I told them I was the driver. Based on your experience, it wouldn’t have.

after speaking with an attorney today, having Jeep against me and my GEICO mechanical failure claim denied because the adjuster sided with Jeep service dept finding user error, my odds of winning in a court of law are diminished.

In the law of averages, even if the next person suffers serious injury from shrapnel blowing thru the floor, they still save money by paying that one claim compared to the cost of an actual recall. We need numbers of people this has happened to. Also, if anyone knows of an expert that could testify to this, would love if you pointed them my way.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thanks for sharing. Through my nightmare, I was wondering if my outcome would have been different if I told them I was the driver. Based on your experience, it wouldn’t have.

after speaking with an attorney today, having Jeep against me and my GEICO mechanical failure claim denied because the adjuster sided with Jeep service dept finding user error, my odds of winning in a court of law are diminished.

In the law of averages, even if the next person suffers serious injury from shrapnel blowing thru the floor, they still save money by paying that one claim compared to the cost of an actual recall. We need numbers of people this has happened to. Also, if anyone knows of an expert that could testify to this, would love if you pointed them my way.
Did you end up replacing it at your cost? If so, with FCA parts or aftermarket?

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2020 JL Rubicon with manual transmission and 15,970 miles on the vehicle. I have taken it into my local dealer twice for clutch recall issues, the latest in November 2021. 3 weeks later my clutch failed in the middle of a 5 lane highway. I had it towed to the nearest dealer and they say it is user error and I need to pay $4500 for repair. I opened a case and it was summarily closed one day later, with FCA providing the same user error answer. I have driven stick for 15 years on Acuras and BMWs, hundreds of thousands of miles, never needing a single repair on a clutch. This is a disgrace. Has anyone had any luck at all in working with FCA on this? As an earlier poster referenced, there should be a class action lawsuit on this.
I'm curious if you had any symptoms of clutch failure? I have 270K miles on a Civic clutch and I can feel a little slipping on it when it's cold in the morning. Before my S-10 clutch failed at 140K miles I could smell it burning a little (throw out bearing seized on input shaft). The reason I ask is that the "bite" on this clutch is indiscernible, I'm just learning where it is. I'd figure if I was burning the clutch out there would be that burning clutch smell.

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Did you end up replacing it at your cost? If so, with FCA parts or aftermarket?
Since Jeep has screwed me on this entire fiasco, I had the Jeep towed to the mechanic that initially noted all the damage. They’ll source after-market when possible. I really don’t care about FCA at this point.
I'm curious if you had any symptoms of clutch failure? I have 270K miles on a Civic clutch and I can feel a little slipping on it when it's cold in the morning. Before my S-10 clutch failed at 140K miles I could smell it burning a little (throw out bearing seized on input shaft). The reason I ask is that the "bite" on this clutch is indiscernible, I'm just learning where it is. I'd figure if I was burning the clutch out there would be that burning clutch smell.
In my case, on my previous clutch cars, I only knew the clutch was failing because it became hard to get into gear. On my 2021 Jeep, my friend said she never smelled anything until she was rolling to the shoulder of a 6-lane highway.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since Jeep has screwed me on this entire fiasco, I had the Jeep towed to the mechanic that initially noted all the damage. They’ll source after-market when possible. I really don’t care about FCA at this point.

In my case, on my previous clutch cars, I only knew the clutch was failing because it became hard to get into gear. On my 2021 Jeep, my friend said she never smelled anything until she was rolling to the shoulder of a 6-lane highway.
Did they explain what the "user error" was? I figure you didn't take a 5000 mile trip resting your foot on the clutch at 80mph.

Another post here shows how complicated the clutch assembly on the JL wrangler is. Traditional clutches are super simple, this thing is an engineer's dream of complexity.
Sponsored