Clutch packs gone

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
It seems that my clutch packs are already basically gone in my rear 44. The turn a wheel and hold the other resulted in no posi action.

Iv had a knock in the rear axle for awhile while letting out the clutch while on hill. My gear guy thinks it could be the side gears (shaft spider gears) have a little bit out play because the clutch packs are essentially gone. The clutch packs are basically washers that fill the gap inside between the shaft gear and the inside of the housing.

Pulled the cover and my diff fluid was extremely dirty again..in only about 1k or so miles of use. Dissolving clutch packs would explain this.

I sent some video and pictures to my gear guy. Waiting to hear back exactly what he thinks next.

Hereā€™s a pic of the clutch packs. Canā€™t do videos on here. Maybe Iā€™ll add a YouTube link.

UPDATE: Spiders are going bad and will eventually fail just like the dozens and dozens of trac-lok JK threads you can google. Some even talk about the same clunk I hear starting in first once a load is put on. Looks like it is the same crappy scenario! Clutches wear out faster the more you wheel your Jeep..which I do almost every weekend.

Arb it is..

86F67959-134D-43D3-93F8-E190D5A15653.jpeg

240447D3-1D81-41F1-9467-B38A05BB6395.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Since Iā€™m following your build style with my JLUS (swapping front axle and wheeling the rear with the traclok), Iā€™ll be following this closely.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a diy mod, or does it require setting the gear lash?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
It seems that my clutch packs are already basically gone in my rear 44. The turn a wheel and hold the other resulted in no posi action.

Iv had a knock in the rear axle for awhile while letting out the clutch while on hill. My gear guy thinks it could be the side gears (shaft spider gears) have a little bit out play because the clutch packs are essentially gone. The clutch packs are basically washers that fill the gap inside between the shaft gear and the inside of the housing.

Pulled the cover and my diff fluid was extremely dirty again..in only about 1k or so miles of use. Dissolving clutch packs would explain this.

I sent some video and pictures to my gear guy. Waiting to hear back exactly what he thinks next.

Hereā€™s a pic of the clutch packs. Canā€™t do videos on here. Maybe Iā€™ll add a YouTube link.

UPDATE: Spiders are going bad and will eventually fail just like the dozens and dozens of trac-lok JK threads you can google. Some even talk about the same clunk I hear starting in first once a load is put on. Looks like it is the same crappy scenario! Clutches wear out faster the more you wheel your Jeep..which I do almost every weekend.

Arb it is..

86F67959-134D-43D3-93F8-E190D5A15653.jpeg

240447D3-1D81-41F1-9467-B38A05BB6395.png
How many miles on the odometer?

Sponsored

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Is that a diy mod, or does it require setting the gear lash?
Gears will have to be set again. Luckily the guy I go to is awesome and does it for a great price. Heā€™ll also plum the housing for the locker.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Keeping your front elocker? Or are you gonna change that to an ARB too? Iā€™m asking ā€˜cause Iā€™m about a year behind you. Iā€™ve ordered my PR44 (hope to have it before August) with an elocker. Next year or soon after Iā€™ll install a locker in the rear, if thereā€™s no elocker option Iā€™ll go ARB.

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Keeping your front elocker? Or are you gonna change that to an ARB too? Iā€™m asking ā€˜cause Iā€™m about a year behind you. Iā€™ve ordered my PR44 (hope to have it before August) with an elocker. Next year or soon after Iā€™ll install a locker in the rear, if thereā€™s no elocker option Iā€™ll go ARB.
Keeping the e locker up front. I would have gone e locker in the rear had it been available but oh well no big deal. I already have an arb compressor installed.

sprayingmango

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab
Occupation
Teacher
This makes me worried...I have a Moab with the rear D44 LSD axle and 37's. I put an ARB on my front D30 but didn't put one in the rear just yet....guess I know what my next mod is.