Clutch problems

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Thank you. You articulated exactly what I have experienced with my 2021. You may as well skip first gear, and I rarely remember to go into 5th or 6th because there’s no difference, even in the RPMs. And you are absolutely right about loss of power on an incline or even having had to slow a tad in traffic. No power. I just hope I don’t have a tractor trailer bearing down on me as I try to get things back to highway speed.

When my pressure plate blew (“stealership” likes to call it “burnt clutch due to driver error), I was 5 days past my 12/12 (only 11,800 miles). Still deciding how far to take the legal options, but would love to hear from someone who has a suit pending.
I have had the same experience as you and @skeptic. Can't get anywhere with Jeep dealership or corporate and am going to have to pay to replace the clutch with only 15k miles on it. What's almost worse, I have spoken to both Centerforce and South Bend and neither are going to have stock for a couple months, so I am forced to spend a ton of cash just to put in the same garbage OEM clutch. So furious, completely burning me on ever owning a Jeep again.
Sponsored

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
I have had the same experience as you and @skeptic. Can't get anywhere with Jeep dealership or corporate and am going to have to pay to replace the clutch with only 15k miles on it. What's almost worse, I have spoken to both Centerforce and South Bend and neither are going to have stock for a couple months, so I am forced to spend a ton of cash just to put in the same garbage OEM clutch. So furious, completely burning me on ever owning a Jeep again.
Wow. My mechanic is trying to figure out the parts issue as we speak. Since it’s a 2021, very few options for after-market parts and hate to be back in this same position again. My plan is to take my dog cross country with me sometime in May and I’m seriously worried about being stranded somewhere remote.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I have disliked my clutch since day one. I am not sure what other people were comparing it to when they say it is great. If you have to get used to it that means its not natural, if its not natural its a bad design.

Has anyone looked into re-gearing the manual transmission ?

Remove 6th gear, replace 6th with 5th and 5th with 4th. Find new lower 3rd gear ?
That would be a seriously expensive custom one off job.

It's far easier and cheaper to regear the axles.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I purchased a Centerforce, but still waiting for the latest version....
was told by Centerforce, the new version should start shipping mid Feb; for those who already placed orders.
To clarify, Centerforce told me they're hoping end of february for orders already placed, but new orders are going to be longer.

skeptic

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sahara 6 Spd.(JL)
so got it back. NFF (no fault found) clutch seems to be working fine.. I'll just drive it and see how it goes. they replaced the cabin filter (and charged me of course, took a whole $20 off a $100 price) and the smell inside seems to be gone. I took a look all around and it's posible the front tires got a little overheated running around in monday's huge snow storm, they do still have a slight burnt odour. But it's odd because i don't smell anything on the rears. Also clutch and tires smell somewhat different in my opinion. I add this for full disclosure as i don't pretend to be an clutch expert. It's also possible both the clutch and tires were overheating but at this point it's impossible to know short of pulling the clutch but i have no urgent desire to do that right now and the expense to have someone else do it for me isn't worth it. If the clutch goes because of this i don't imagine it'll take too long. The clutch is behaving normally, it was the burnt smell that started this whole thing. I"m leaning towards puting in a South Bend anyway when they are available as i hear good things and the heavier flywheel seems like a big plus to me a slow speeds. One good thing to come out of this is i discovered my rear diff is a D44 not a D35 i had thought previously it was a 35) which means i actually do have options in terms of LSD for it. I don't want a locker because i have some newer drivers in the house and the install and forget advanage of LSD is a better idea. Besides our biggest issue is snow really, So far the bigest obstacle it's climbed over has been a parking lot block.... and i'm not sure it was entirely intentinal :)

Sponsored

sheltojn5

First Name
January
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
2018 JLU Sport S - 27,000 miles and the clutch needs replaced. We drive it mostly on the highway to go camping. I've been driving a stick for 18 years, and never replaced a clutch before 80k miles, and had some that were fine when I sold them at 160k. I'm an attorney and plan on exploring my options about filing a lawsuit. I'll let you know. Clearly there is a problem that they simply don't want to admit and address.

I suspect that when I can buy a Bronco without waiting a year for delivery I'll trade it in.

Did you ever get a resolution to this? i am having the same issue and they are telling me that i have to pay 4200 to get mine fixed.

thammer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
Did you ever get a resolution to this? i am having the same issue and they are telling me that i have to pay 4200 to get mine fixed.
FWIW, I ended up having to get my clutch replaced at my cost (couldn't get anywhere with Jeep on taking responsibility for the failure after only 15k miles), and to make things worse, was forced to use OEM parts because no aftermarket parts were in stock anywhere. Terrible experience.

sheltojn5

First Name
January
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
FWIW, I ended up having to get my clutch replaced at my cost (couldn't get anywhere with Jeep on taking responsibility for the failure after only 15k miles), and to make things worse, was forced to use OEM parts because no aftermarket parts were in stock anywhere. Terrible experience.
that is crazy. there are so many documented cases of this that should be responsible for this.

csddoglover

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Sahara
Update on my blown-up clutch pressure plate issue that happened Thanksgiving 2021. Five months later, I am still paying for a rental at a cost of about $1,200 a month. Still waiting for one clutch piece to arrive at mechanic. Otherwise, they have everything ready to go when it comes in. But I believe it is still the poorly designed pressure plate and I may find myself back in this situation again down the road. Jeep washed their hands of the issue by claiming misuse/abuse, which I guess they can get away with anytime it is a situation with a clutch. If anyone is aware of class-action suit or otherwise, please let me know. I contacted an attorney but I would have to throw a lot more money at this problem, on top of the rental and repairs, which are estimated to be close to $10k. But filing my own suit is an option on the table.

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Update on my blown-up clutch pressure plate issue that happened Thanksgiving 2021. Five months later, I am still paying for a rental at a cost of about $1,200 a month. Still waiting for one clutch piece to arrive at mechanic. Otherwise, they have everything ready to go when it comes in. But I believe it is still the poorly designed pressure plate and I may find myself back in this situation again down the road. Jeep washed their hands of the issue by claiming misuse/abuse, which I guess they can get away with anytime it is a situation with a clutch. If anyone is aware of class-action suit or otherwise, please let me know. I contacted an attorney but I would have to throw a lot more money at this problem, on top of the rental and repairs, which are estimated to be close to $10k. But filing my own suit is an option on the table.
So sorry you are in that situation.

Sponsored

DK JEEP 1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Throw me on the list of early clutch failures. 29K. i have been driving a stick since the 90s in about 5 different cars, some well over 100k and have never had a problem, so find it comical when the dealer garage suggested it is due to driving style. Waiting to hear about part availability now. Have a gripe opened with @JeepCares. Happy to fight this one with the group.

sheltojn5

First Name
January
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Good luck with this. I have been fighting with them for weeks now and have not gotten anywhere. You would think with all these documented cases they would fix this.
Sponsored