Climate Control Panel Issues

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone had issues with their Climate Control Panel? Specifically, I hate ESS and have been in the habit of hitting that button as soon as I start up. Well, over the past few weeks I've pushed that button on start as normal, but the light doesn't come on. At first I thought it was just an ESS thing, but then I tried the AC buttons on the panel and those didn't work either. Finally after about a minute post-start everything started working.

This seems to be somewhat random and sometimes on start everything works right away and other times there is a delay. This only started a few weeks ago, so I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and whether this is going to escalate into a bigger problem.

I do intend to get this looked at, but right now I am just planning at the next service interval unless the whole panel just dies..
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
My wife's '18 JLUS had the same behavior practically since delivery in May 2018, but it was intermittent enough that I didn't bring it to the dealership because I knew they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.

Fast forward to sometime in the summer of 2019, when I installed a Quadratec 12v jumper harness so I could add a USB power source to the rear of the center console. I had the battery disconnected for a while, and also had to unplug the HVAC control to access the lighter port where the Quadratec harness snaps in. Since reassembly, it has worked perfectly. I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery fixed it or unplugging/reconnecting the HVAC panel fixed it but it's been flawless since last summer (knock on wood).

OP
OP
Felix22369

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife's '18 JLUS had the same behavior practically since delivery in May 2018, but it was intermittent enough that I didn't bring it to the dealership because I knew they wouldn't be able to replicate the problem.

Fast forward to sometime in the summer of 2019, when I installed a Quadratec 12v jumper harness so I could add a USB power source to the rear of the center console. I had the battery disconnected for a while, and also had to unplug the HVAC control to access the lighter port where the Quadratec harness snaps in. Since reassembly, it has worked perfectly. I'm not sure if disconnecting the battery fixed it or unplugging/reconnecting the HVAC panel fixed it but it's been flawless since last summer (knock on wood).
Thanks for this, I'll give it a shot!

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I have this happen randomly as well. Unfortunately, it's not predictable enough for the dealer to see it happen. I'm mostly frustrated by the lack of volume control upon startup, but luckily the steering wheel controls are almost always active immediately.

I chalk this up to a component issue. Being a tech guy and knowing that these devices are just sending / receiving data on the CanBus network, I've accepted this as a wakeup / integration issue and figure that an update will eventually fix it.

I have found that doing a full system reboot via my Tazer will help it get better for a while. This is similar to pulling the battery for a long duration.

Sponsored

AndrewHW

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLUR
Mine has the same issue. In fact, I just started a thread in the electronics section. I didn't see this one when I searched. I wonder if it has something to do with the taser or the fact that more then one of us has unplugged that control panel to access the below one to add the quadratec 12volt power. I'll try the reset on the taser and see if that helps. If not, I'll unplug and plug the panel back in.

OP
OP
Felix22369

Felix22369

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine has the same issue. In fact, I just started a thread in the electronics section. I didn't see this one when I searched. I wonder if it has something to do with the taser or the fact that more then one of us has unplugged that control panel to access the below one to add the quadratec 12volt power. I'll try the reset on the taser and see if that helps. If not, I'll unplug and plug the panel back in.
I don’t have a tazer so I doubt it’s a tazer issue. I think it has to do with the entire radio panel etc. I’ve had my radio replaced multiple Times due to problems with the touch screen (Often times on start half of the screen won’t respond to touch inputs unless I cycle through reverse and activate the camera, then it’s fine. Also have the time I don’t have reverse lines so there’s that..)
Sponsored