Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Soft Top.

Easy choice there.

You answered your own question.

I live in Florida and freakn love it. I have a standard soft top, love it and saved money.

Get an @AlienSunshade to go with it.

Best choice you’ll ever make other than choosing a Manual Transmission!

F141C4D4-4FFC-46FD-91BC-3E962C732F13.jpeg
ADC7372D-F6A7-40C1-8FDB-BE9B30105E6E.jpeg

0B29EB0D-C608-4B16-8C76-494AE6216401.gif
Sponsored

OP
OP

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Regardless: as you are not in a time crunch I strongly suggest you factory order for discount.

Hmmm. What discount? I didn't see anything on the Jeep site about ordering discount. I really do want to order one rather than pick one up.
Thank you

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Hmmm. What discount? I didn't see anything on the Jeep site about ordering discount. I really do want to order one rather than pick one up.
Thank you
Yep order and get what you want. A lot of dealers are offering 5% below invoice if you order from them. Check out the Ordering and Pricing section of the forum.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Thank you
@trez63, War and Peace length discussions on the dealers who will discount 5%+ from factory invoice pricing are on the Ordering part of the board.

I urge you to go there, where the prices FCA charges dealers (known as FWP: factory wholesale price, a.k.a. invoice) on every aspect of the rig are available as well as the dealers who participate in such factory order programs, as well as the time it takes for a rig to come in.

If you need links to the latest factory pricing I'm happy to provide them to you as are others here, as well as the names of such dealers who will do these deals.

Please, please, educate yourself. Much money is to be saved. E.g. I bought from Koons on the East Coast, be there are dealers in Vegas...I forget their name, etc.

How can dealers collect less than invoice? They get incentives from FCA for moving lots of product that they share with their customers. They make small amounts of money taking your order like a fast food joint.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
@trez63, War and Peace length discussions on the dealers who will discount 5%+ from factory invoice pricing are on the Ordering part of the board.

I urge you to go there, where the prices FCA charges dealers (known as FWP: factory wholesale price, a.k.a. invoice) on every aspect of the rig are available as well as the dealers who participate in such factory order programs, as well as the time it takes for a rig to come in.

If you need links to the latest factory pricing I'm happy to provide them to you as are others here, as well as the names of such dealers who will do these deals.

Please, please, educate yourself. Much money is to be saved. E.g. I bought from Koons on the East Coast, be there are dealers in Vegas...I forget their name, etc.

How can dealers collect less than invoice? They get incentives from FCA for moving lots of product that they share with their customers. They make small amounts of money taking your order like a fast food joint.
I could be wrong on this, but I recall seeing earlier threads/posts stating that it's hard to find dealers in SoCal willing to offer such discounts.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
My take: soft top, premium.

My reasons: locale (SoCal) and frequency of use (no DD.)

My suggestion: consider power soft top. Cons: price, something to break, maybe leak..pros: no manual removal, removal/close while in motion.

I'd suggest power top more in Florida given frequent sudden onset thunderstorms. I'd also suggest Bestop Sunrider in addition to hard top if rig is mostly front seat drivers only on Florida: interior open/close.

If you like things completely open: soft top.

If you like things completely open but hate window panel removal/insertion: power top.

Regardless: as you are not in a time crunch I strongly suggest you factory order for discount.

make sure you're good with this:

Make sure noise control isn't your first priority (hard top).
I keep forgetting that the power soft top is an option. I was really excited when I first heard the announcement, but in my opinion they didn't do it right. I was expecting something more like what myTop was doing, but nope. Just my opinion.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
If it is a 2nd vehicle, and you want the doors and top off as much as possible, soft top. I got a two door, so I couldn't get the dual top group. For me its a 2nd vehicle, in Pennsylvania, and I got the soft top. A couple things to consider:

1. If you are getting a 4 door, you can get both tops (they are sort of discounted if you buy the dual top group). You can then sell the hard top, I have no idea what people will pay for it, keep in mind prices in SoCal are going to be different than a snowy area. If you do this, definitely avoid a body color top for ease of selling. I also this may be more of a hassle than its worth.

2. The hard top comes with the rear window defroster and windshield wiper wiring installed. Soft top does not.

3. It is probably easier to see out the rear of the hard top, but the new backup camera makes this not as drastic a need.

4. Hard top is more secure, but you want topless/doorless anyway, so its a non-issue.

5. Getting things in and out of the back/trunk area of a soft top on is more difficult, because the rear window does not pop up like the hardtop glass does. That being said, for a 2nd car, that won't matter as much.

6. Hard top - have to store it somewhere, and have a friend or pulley system in the garage for getting on/off. Soft Top - can pop up/down easily if it is on.

7. Honestly, the interior of the hard top is pretty ugly.

8. If you go Hardtop, you can always get a Bestop Sunrider to replace the Freedom panels. But then you still have the rest of the hard top.

Again, I went soft top for my two door, as a 2nd car. Hard Top seems like a chore.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Hagie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Sting Grey, 2006 Scion xB RS4.0, 2013 Scion xB RS9.0
OP, I am in a similar decision making process. As I near my target down-payment, I am realizing that soon I will need to make this decision. I am weighing dual-top, which I believe puts me at a Sport S minimum.

A buddy of mine that has had 2 different Defender 90's with soft tops strongly suggested me to get the hard top over a soft top at least. He said if I can splurge, then lean towards dual top. He apparently has had his truck broken into twice by having the top sliced. To me this is a paranoid urban legend, but I have known the guy for 20 years, and is essentially my brother, so I take what he says very seriously.

My only "must-haves" at the moment are power windows/doors, AUX/Trailer installed, minimum of the ~7" screen and Sting Grey.

Mrjimmystewart

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 jeep 392, Mercedes E 53 convt, Prevost H3-41
Occupation
Retired
I struggled with the top question, ended up getting the Sky One Touch. For me, its the best tradeoff. I wanted the open air feeling, most of that comes from the doors being off, and the rear quarter windows coming out so easily. In So Cal, the sun beats down so intensely, that I've found that Its really nice to be able to sheild my head, get some shade. Very nice to open or close as conditions warrant. I end up having it open more often than I would if I had to remove a hard top, or put down a softy. I also really don't like the plastic windows on all the soft tops. Some have criticized the fact that the rear glass always stays in place, but when I'm driving its not noticeable.

Open top, doors off - yahoo!

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
I am vacillating between the One Touch or the Soft Top. And living in Ft Worth, Tx, we get hit with all kinds of weather 20 deg F - 105 deg F, hail, buckets of rain, and then the droughts. I love the One Touch for it's convenience, but over time that top has to be replaced and the One Touch does not work with existing roof racks. Also, you kind of give up the option to fold down the front windshield. The logical choice for me is to go with the Soft Top. I just have to keep an eye on the weather and make sure the Soft Top is protected.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
get dual top, sell hard top for an outrageous price, making the soft top damn near free.

Or just get non premium soft top and save all that money from premium or dual.

Seriously, a weekend naked jeep doesn't even need premium soft top, if it will be down the majority of the time I would go non premium soft.
Maybe get some tube doors, or half doors with the money you would have spent on premium

OP
OP

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
The One-Touch does actually seem like a good option. I assume the side windows in the rear are then fixed in place and can't be removed. Which really, when you think about it, is not a bad compromise since you still get the full open air up front. Decisions decisions.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I assume the side windows in the rear are then fixed in place and can't be removed.
Actually, they are removeable. I actually traded my January build Rubicon for a September build Rubicon just to get the Sky One Touch...and it has proved to be an excellent decision. I love the convenience!

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
The One-Touch does actually seem like a good option. I assume the side windows in the rear are then fixed in place and can't be removed. Which really, when you think about it, is not a bad compromise since you still get the full open air up front. Decisions decisions.
The one touch is a great option, if it’s worth it to you. It’s not cheap. I found better value with a hardtop, and putting on a Sunrider to replace the freedom panels.
Choices are great.
Sponsored