Ordering Options - Exterior Paint and Roof

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
What do you guys think between Punk'n Rubicon or Sting Gray?

Also, any thoughts on Hardtop vs One Touch vs Soft top? It's been hard to find the perfect match for the built I did on Jeep website and with the ordering backlogged, gotta go with what's available. Seems like Soft top can be replaced with hardtop aftermarket but not much options available for One Touch, not sure if you can install any racks with One Touch.
Sponsored

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
Those are my #1 and #2 colors. Unfortunately it looks like Punk’n has been discontinued for 2020 so Sting-Grey it’ll be for me. I can’t find one optioned out exactly how I want anywhere in the country. Plus I’ll wait to order to take advantage of the dealers selling under invoice. We also decided to order with the three piece black hard top and add any number of the aftermarket soft tops later on.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I prefer a hardtop. My Jeep is parked outside at a commuter lot during the day. At night it's outside in front of my house. I need the security of the hardtop. I installed a Bestop Sunrider for Hardtop for the convenience of not having to remove the freedom panels all the time. Flip 2 latches and flip the top back for open air driving. If you decide you want a hardtop and a soft top, get the dual top option when you purchase. Adding a hardtop after the fact requires adding the wiring, new wiper stalk and I believe a dealer flash. Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, you won't regret the JL/U.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Sting grey:like: but I may be biased:giggle: You can always get a soft top later, but if you order a hard top straight from the factory, you will have all the wiring you need. But if you only order a soft top, you will not have the wiring for your defroster and rear wiper, if those are important for you.

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Your hardtop vs softop vs one-touch is an interesting debate, and has so many inputs.
1. Do you park outside or in a garage? And do you live in a high-crime area? Softtops (like all convertibles) are easily broken into, if that's a concern and you leave your Jeep outside overnight.
2. But that being said, there is nothing like the open air feeling of going topless on a gorgeous sunny day with the sun on your head and wind in your hair. Softtop is by far the easiest way to get this full experience.
3. Do you live in an area which gets bad winters? I see you're in California so probably not, unless you're in Tahoe. The hardtops are usually best for really bad snow/ice.
4. The one-touches basically exist in the space between hardtops and softtops. They aren't quite as much of an open air feeling as a softtop, but they aren't as boxed-in as a hard top.
5. Would you for any reason need to haul things on top of your Jeep (kayaks, additional storage, etc). This is where the hardtop has a clear advantage over the other 2.

The beautiful thing about Jeeps is that they have so many configurations. Depending on your use case, you get to choose the one which is right for you. If it was me, and I lived in California, I'd probably order a softtop if I had a garage to park in overnight. If not, I'd consider the one-touch.

Sponsored

N8213

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4XE, 20 C8, 20 Indian, 55 Studebaker truck
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder - buy what you like. I've got a bikini blue rubicon with the sky top. My boss has a Sting Grey with a hard top. We both thoroughly love our jeeps.

There are racks for the sky top - they just tend to have taller legs to clear the top folding back.

OP
OP

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thanks all for your comments.

I've had my eyes on the Punk'n color for a while, and it seems like most dealers are offering great incentives for the current inventory. but the issue is that due to the current situation and given the fact Punk'n has been discontinued for 2020, it's hard to order one with the configuration that I want which is the hard top. Currently, I found only one Punk'n color with all the options that I want but it has the soft top already. Since there is no snow and only limited rain here, I'm thinking that soft top wouldn't be that bad. The only thing is if I want to upgrade to hard top later on, is it too difficult to have all the wiring to work if it's installed professionally? I did a search and saw that Mopar sells the 3 piece hard top and it comes with all the wiring, would that be an option and would all the functionality work like how you would get it from the factory?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks all for your comments.

I've had my eyes on the Punk'n color for a while, and it seems like most dealers are offering great incentives for the current inventory. but the issue is that due to the current situation and given the fact Punk'n has been discontinued for 2020, it's hard to order one with the configuration that I want which is the hard top. Currently, I found only one Punk'n color with all the options that I want but it has the soft top already. Since there is no snow and only limited rain here, I'm thinking that soft top wouldn't be that bad. The only thing is if I want to upgrade to hard top later on, is it too difficult to have all the wiring to work if it's installed professionally? I did a search and saw that Mopar sells the 3 piece hard top and it comes with all the wiring, would that be an option and would all the functionality work like how you would get it from the factory?
Anything can happen with the right amount of money:giggle: Seriously, if you found what you want (other than hard top) I'd take it. Yes, you can add the wiring later. It has been done and there are threads somewhere on here. Just Google it and don't use our search button. It pretty much sucks:headbang: I love in Ohio and have had a soft top on my 2004 TJ and I have one on my 2019 JL. I rarely lock it and I have nothing if value in the Jeep itself. If you do need some added security, there are options. Good luck:fingerscrossed: hopefully you find your perfect Jeep soon:like:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The only thing is if I want to upgrade to hard top later on, is it too difficult to have all the wiring to work if it's installed professionally? I did a search and saw that Mopar sells the 3 piece hard top and it comes with all the wiring, would that be an option and would all the functionality work like how you would get it from the factory?
It can and has been done. You also need a new wiper stalk for the rear wiper in the hardtop. I don't know if it comes together with the top and wiring.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Punk’n soft top!

It’s the best color :rock: and the soft top is great. I have the premium soft top and it’s a nice top with the tinted windows. I put it in safari mode when it’s hot out and it’s nice to keep the sun off while still having the open experience. I *love* convertibles so my tolerance for heat, cold, and noise is probably greater than most.

012C2E24-3E54-4BC4-9EEC-83A1BF6501B6-X3.jpg
Sponsored