Sponsored

Choosing between roof options

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Throughout all my Jeeps I was adamant I would never own a soft top.

Yet here I am today.

And pleasantly surprised.

If someone came along today and wanted to trade me their hard top I probably would.

I know I'll love it come spring though.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
New to the forum and did the STFF already and didn't find a good discussion on JL roof options.

I'm gearing up to pick up a new JL and I'm having a really hard time deciding on a roof option. I went down to the local dealer and checked out a few but that wasn't very helpful. I'm hoping you all can help me out.

I'm not going to DD this car.
It will almost entirely be used for the Southern California weekends, with doors and roof off. Pretty much as naked as possible.

It looks like the soft top my be the best way to go because otherwise I'll need a place to store that huge hard top and might need help removing it also. But given the multiple options, I just want to make sure I won't instantly regret the soft top for an unforeseen reason. What else should I consider?

Always go hard top from the factory. That way you have the plumbing/electrical already installed to the top. And, it will have better resale in the future.

Soft tops are a breeze to install after the sale.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Southern Cal? Get the soft top and use the $1500 on mods. No question.

That being said, I am actually stunned at how quiet the hard top w/factory added padding is on the highway (up to 70 mph). It was my biggest surprise with the JL so far.

Luke3.0

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0
Southern Cal? Get the soft top and use the $1500 on mods. No question.

That being said, I am actually stunned at how quiet the hard top w/factory added padding is on the highway (up to 70 mph). It was my biggest surprise with the JL so far.
I have the 3.0 and was worried the one touch would be too loud on the highway. I saw a YouTube video clocking 90dbs on the highway, which is nuts. I test drove with a one touch and confirmed it was at least >80dbs. Therefore, I went with the dual top and added the headliner. I just sounded tested at 80-85mph and was reading ~70dbs, which is impressive. In the spring I will repeat the test with the premium soft top. I’m guessing it will be quieter then the one touch also. No disrespect to the one touch, it’s a great option just something to consider if you DD on the highway.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I have the dual top option…the soft top is really pretty good but let’s in a lot of traffic noise and the rear windows “flap” in crosswinds. Hardtop is more comfortable.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
We got Kailani with the hard top, no headliner. We found it noisier than we thought it would be.

Then my wife got tired of how heavy the freedom panels were, so we found a premium soft top for $800.

We LOVE the soft top. The ability to (one person) put it down in about 10 seconds is awesome. We can freeway drive anywhere we want, then put the top down and be in a convertible.
Sponsored