Sponsored

JL Roof

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The side bars are there, the whole outer windshield frame is now part of the structure "exoskeleton".
The inner glass folds down. This is a major safety improvement over previous Generations.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I've had the standard black roof JK and 'body colored' white roof on my new JK. The roof is fiberglass and is actually white. So the standard black roof, when scratched, shows a white scratch. It happens. Especially with the freedom panels. Heck, when I bought my JKUR new, the driver side panel had a decent gash in it. The dealer wanted to paint it. I objected and they swapped in another undamaged panel.
Definitely dealer should replace, especially for a decent sized gash.

You never really get a pure uncovered white fiberglass top, it’s always got something overtop of it, even the body colour white ones have the body colour vinyl overlay same as the other colours including the body colour black. To me the only advantage is that it holds suction cups for carrier mounts and temporary cellular or CB antenna bases better than the pebbled base black roof, which likes to reject even 3M double-sided automotive tape, and that stuff is sticky.

However.. once you’ve had your base black top for a while, then when you get the trail scars that expose some of the white underneath, you can easily fix them with a 99c tool...

7BCEF838-C6DE-4192-B772-B7FD1D2A78F4.jpeg

:idea:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the tip on the roof. My plan was a White JT with black roof. But I like your idea of painting the white roof black.

Is there a weight difference depending on what type of roof you go with ?
I dont think there is a weight difference with color matched vs non-color matched.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
However.. once you’ve had your base black top for a while, then when you get the trail scars that expose some of the white underneath, you can easily fix them with a 99c tool...

:idea:
Be careful - Sharpies don't do well in the sun (turn purple) and are a pain to paint over as they bleed through everything.

Ever try a paint pen from Dupli-color or the like? I've never tried anything on the hardtop for a JK. Just wondering.

I repaint my YJ hardtop with Krylon Fusion every other year. I wire brush it, wash it, and paint. Obviously not the best lasting paint, but at $20 a re-paint... it's not a bad deal.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Be careful - Sharpies don't do well in the sun (turn purple) and are a pain to paint over as they bleed through everything.
Time for a fresh coat of Sharpie? And technically bleeding through below the surface would be a good thing, I doubt it would bleed to the other (interior) side.

Ever try a paint pen from Dupli-color or the like? I've never tried anything on the hardtop for a JK. Just wondering.
Yeah, but only for trim stuff like the Jeep logo etc. to black out (current JKU came with black-out package). And then also the Mopar yellows for the chips etc, even in the grill.
Sharpie is so easy on the roof never bothered with plasti-dip there.

I repaint my YJ hardtop with Krylon Fusion every other year. I wire brush it, wash it, and paint. Obviously not the best lasting paint, but at $20 a re-paint... it's not a bad deal.
Yeah, but whatever works, eh !

If I was unable to find a Baja or Sunset JK I was considering doing a wrap, but I think the pain points would remain, just damage/scratch/pit wrap instead of paint.

Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Love these tops!

Hoping for some Safari panels like those & these tmrw:
Also raised angle provides more vertical cargo space/rear headroom:
nfvza1xjwvplurqhhfop.jpg

But of course, with ONE front panel over driver/shotgun,
and seamless black center line, with body color on side portions/rails: