Changing wheels seasonally

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
I just picked up a set of summer OEM wheels, just in time for winter, here in the Northeast. Ha ha. Anyway, I used to change my TJ wheels each season, myself. In the process, torquing the lug nuts would always damage the chrome on the nuts, and they would eventually rust. Is there a way to do it without screwing up the chrome on the nuts? My factory nuts don't have a scratch on them. How did they do that at the factory?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Use a 22mm 6pt impact socket and torque them down by hand vs using an impact gun, shouldn't leave any marks. When your socket has slop, using a 12 pt socket, or an impact gun will lead to the rusty lug nuts that you're noticing.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FWIW I believe the factory uses sockets w/ a rubberized inner coating to keep the lug nuts looking fresh w/ those multi lug torque machines.

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Okay thanks. I will try the impact socket. I usually did use a six point chrome socket and hand torque wrench on the TJ. Maybe those times when i had a flat or two repaired by a shop messed up some of those old nuts.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I've seen those advertised, never tried one but would seem to be just what the OP is looking for.
FWIW the impact sockets have more "compliant" metal vs the hardened chrome finish, but that amazon socket would be even better I'm sure, especially if you were to use it w/ an impact gun.
I use the impact sockets to thread them on but back off and grab the torque wrench for the finish during tire rotations. I get the
OP or others worried about trashing there lugs and I believe he’s looking for an internal rubberized coating to avoid chipping/scratches but I couldn’t find those.

OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Well, now it is time to change the wheels. Finally, no more stupid road salt! I bought the recommended socket. I am all set to go.....But it just occured to me that I don't know the torque spec on the lugs for the JL. I guess I can look in the owner's manual but it hasn't answered any of my other questions yet....Anybody know what the lug nut torque spec is?

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
Well, now it is time to change the wheels. Finally, no more stupid road salt! I bought the recommended socket. I am all set to go.....But it just occured to me that I don't know the torque spec on the lugs for the JL. I guess I can look in the owner's manual but it hasn't answered any of my other questions yet....Anybody know what the lug nut torque spec is?
I believe it’s 100ft lbs. but I don’t have the manual in front of me right now.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
OP
OP

bwright1818

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler
Holy crap! Okay, well I don't want 'em falling off, so thanks for that info!
Sponsored