Changing tire height

haeriphos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I purchased a new JLURD earlier this year and have been hanging on to my F150 for a bit just to make sure I was going to be able to adapt to a life without a truck bed. I finally cut the cord this weekend and sold the truck, leaving me with a set of Blizzak winter tires on aftermarket rims. I was just about to list them for sale when it occurred to me that maybe I could use them on the Wrangler.

My stock Wrangler tires are LT285/70R17 and the Blizzaks are P275/65R18. I ran these through a tire height calculator (www.tiresize.com) and found the stock tires are 32.7" tall and the Blizzaks are 32.1". I ran this info through another calculator on www.intercotire.com to find that my speedometer would be off about 1.1 MPH (I'll be going slower than it says). I then did some math and figured that my odometer will show an extra 18 miles per 1,000 I drive with these tires on.

So, my question is, if I'm ok with the small discrepancy in the speedometer and odometer during the winter months, is there any reason I can't use my old winter setup on the Wrangler? I don't know that I would replace the Blizzaks once they're worn but I figure I may as well use them up since I bought them. I live in Alaska and we don't use much salt so we drive on snow and ice most of the winter, and it's regularly -20F. I haven't tried the stock tires in the snow yet but there is a very noticable difference between other all-season tires and the Blizzaks.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I purchased a new JLURD earlier this year and have been hanging on to my F150 for a bit just to make sure I was going to be able to adapt to a life without a truck bed. I finally cut the cord this weekend and sold the truck, leaving me with a set of Blizzak winter tires on aftermarket rims. I was just about to list them for sale when it occurred to me that maybe I could use them on the Wrangler.

My stock Wrangler tires are LT285/70R17 and the Blizzaks are P275/65R18. I ran these through a tire height calculator (www.tiresize.com) and found the stock tires are 32.7" tall and the Blizzaks are 32.1". I ran this info through another calculator on www.intercotire.com to find that my speedometer would be off about 1.1 MPH (I'll be going slower than it says). I then did some math and figured that my odometer will show an extra 18 miles per 1,000 I drive with these tires on.

So, my question is, if I'm ok with the small discrepancy in the speedometer and odometer during the winter months, is there any reason I can't use my old winter setup on the Wrangler? I don't know that I would replace the Blizzaks once they're worn but I figure I may as well use them up since I bought them. I live in Alaska and we don't use much salt so we drive on snow and ice most of the winter, and it's regularly -20F. I haven't tried the stock tires in the snow yet but there is a very noticable difference between other all-season tires and the Blizzaks.
That small diameter difference won't be a problem at all, and Blizzaks are a great snow tire for sure.
Might be able to find a set of used Sahara 18" wheels for a cheap match for those tires, or do you already have a set of Jeep compatible 18" wheels??

OP
OP

haeriphos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I have the aftermarket wheels I was using on the F150 but haven’t checked compatibility with the Jeep.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I have the aftermarket wheels I was using on the F150 but haven’t checked compatibility with the Jeep.
IIRC the F150s run a 6 lug pattern :(

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Yeah like the above poster said I think Ford is on a different bolt pattern. The pattern for Jeeps is 5x127 also called 5x5. I've seen Sahara takeoff 18s for around $400 on here and on FB marketplace as a good cheap option that isn't a steelie.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
the tire size wont make a different. the ford rim will not fit different bolt pattern. i never ran snow tiresi've ran a/t tires which are great in the snow.

OP
OP

haeriphos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Yeah, different bolt pattern, oh well. Probably won’t invest in new rims as I think I can get by with stock tires for now.
Sponsored