My Ever Changing tire Pressure.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Anyone else noticing there tire pressure changing all the time. Mine changes constantly 34, 35, 36, 37. Some times I'll check the monitor and each tire will have a different pressure. They are all over the place basically. BTW what is the recommended for general on-road driving anyway.
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else noticing there tire pressure changing all the time. Mine changes constantly 34, 35, 36, 37. Some times I'll check the monitor and each tire will have a different pressure. They are all over the place basically. BTW what is the recommended for general on-road driving anyway.
They change all the time based on air temp, temperature of the road, etc. warmer air will have higher PSI than cooler air. It’s hard to set tire pressures to exactly the same psi, even if the gauge says 33 for each, it wont be the same 33.1 psi in each.

OP
OP

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think you're over analyzing the tire pressure. They will vary based on heat so where the sun is can make a difference, as well as any number of other factors. I like that the refresh rate (for lack of a better term) on the pressures is as fast as it is because it makes airing up the tires at the end of the trail easier. My pump has a gauge which cannot be trusted from minute to minute so I'd have to remove the hose to check the tires with a trusted gauge. The JL I just fill until the gauge shows 37 (I believe I originally got this off the door placard, but my dash says it as well when a tire is low) then on to the next tire. I just wish the Jeep would give me a quick beep or something more convenient.

Check the door placard of your Jeep for the recommended tire pressure on your Jeep if it's stock.
So 37 is the recommended for on-road?

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Tire pressure increases/decreases about 1 PSI per 10-degree F ambient. In addition the tires heat up as you drive. You can see a wide variance of tire pressure on any given day.

You'll find folks on here that say anywhere as low as 30 PSI works well. Dealers tend to over-fill (over 40 PSI in many cases). I run at 37 nominal and am happy with that.

I even notice that the tires that are in the sun will be 1-2 PSI higher than the tires on the other side.

tire pressure.jpg

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
So 37 is the recommended for on-road?
If you ask 10 owners, you'll get 8 different recommendations. In the summer months, I stay at about 35; slightly higher in the winter at about 37.

Sponsored

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Normal fluctuation is about 10% or around 4 PSI psi increase after tires warm up if your tires are at 37 when they are cool as in parked all night. If they heat up/increase in PSI more than about 10% after driving for 15-20 minutes or more at highway speeds then you may be under inflated as that causes more friction=more heat= more PSI. 3-4 psi increase is normal. The door jam psi is generic and intended to provide best ride vs best mpg. A couple psi lower will give a better ride when empty. A couple more psi might be better if loaded full or with 3 passengers. With Bigger / wider tires I ignore the door jam number as its too much and you will have a stiff ride and wear out your tires in the center.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
If you ask 10 owners, you'll get 8 different recommendations. In the summer months, I stay at about 35; slightly higher in the winter at about 37.
I thought it was that if you asked 8 owners you'd get 10 different recommendations??? :giggle:

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
if you let your car parked outside and the sun shines on the one side of the Jeep that will increase the tire pressure on the sunny side psi by 1 - 2 psi and in places like Arizona I am sure it may be even higher