Sponsored

Changing tire size voids my transmission warranty?

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
My. Dealer tells me if I change tire size it voids my Transmission warranty any thoughts.
Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
My. Dealer tells me if I change tire size it voids my Transmission warranty any thoughts.
There several forums in this site that address this issue. From what I could gather, if you put on 35s, you should be ok. You may want to contact Jeep Cares.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would assume since they advertise that you can run 35s on the rubicon without a lift, and reinforced the tailgate to carry a bigger spare, etc, etc... that you’d be ok. But as @TXJeepScientist says I’d contact someone other than your dealer just to be safe.

OP
OP

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
You need a new dealer.
Thanks for reply’s. I don’t think there are any good Jeep dealers. However F C A tells me my dealer is wrong I just have to let them know what size I put on and have it noted on my vin report. All is good.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for reply’s. I don’t think there are any good Jeep dealers. However F C A tells me my dealer is wrong I just have to let them know what size I put on and have it noted on my vin report. All is good.
Maybe not in your neck of the woods but there are plenty of modification-friendly dealers all over the country.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer put my new tires on (34.2's). Sheesh. Some dealers.

OP
OP

Gpdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 J L sport s punk n
Maybe not in your neck of the woods but there are plenty of modification-friendly dealers all over the country.
Let me clarify me post. This is my 4th Jeep there aren’t any that have after the sale service within 150 miles of me.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Let me clarify me post. This is my 4th Jeep there aren’t any that have after the sale service within 150 miles of me.
Holy Crap! So basically you are stuck with this dealer. Wow. I feel your pain.

Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
If that's really your local dealer's attitude, I would be sure to keep your stock wheels and tires handy and be prepared to swap them back on.

I ordered a Rubicon because I don't trust my local dealers NOT to try to void something because of a suspension lift etc. Sad but true.

Chipe

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Gpdan,
I think you should also point out to your dealer this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

This protects you from actions like this. Your tires cannot void a transmission warranty unless the dealership can prove, and I mean really prove, that the tires were the direct cause of the transmission failure. Now, I don't know a whole lot about Jeeps, I'm still learning, but in my humble opinion tires would be low on the list of modifications that would "f" up a transmission. I could be totally wrong, but someone would have to make a really good argument for me to buy into that.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Gpdan,
I think you should also point out to your dealer this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

This protects you from actions like this. Your tires cannot void a transmission warranty unless the dealership can prove, and I mean really prove, that the tires were the direct cause of the transmission failure. Now, I don't know a whole lot about Jeeps, I'm still learning, but in my humble opinion tires would be low on the list of modifications that would "f" up a transmission. I could be totally wrong, but someone would have to make a really good argument for me to buy into that.
MMWA works good in court. Not so much in the service lane.

Put some 40" tires on and you're likely not gonna get a dealer to warranty much between the flywheel and the wheels.
Sponsored