Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
Alright, I've been reading a lot of threads on tinting recently and nothing seems to make sense... even in this thread.

If 20% = 20%, but 5% = 35%, but 35% also matches the factory tint on the back windows, but then 20% means just a tad lighter than 70% on the back windows while also matching well with all windows..................

Is there a standard for this crap or not? How can according to this thread 5% be equal to 35% which is equal to 20% which is just a tad lighter than 70%? And it's not just this thread. It seems like everything I read seems to come down to this convoluted notion of % basically meaning nothing.

If somebody could just please tell me what the actual % of tint is from the factory, so that I'm able to figure out what % to tint the front 2 windows in order to match that, I would be eternally grateful. šŸ˜±
The % is just the amount of visible light that is allowed in. The lower the number, the darker it is. It gets to be a pain when you start stacking tint on top of tint. The rear doors and windows have a factory tint that is around 25%, if I recall correctly. If you put 70% on top of that, it leaves you with 17.5%. Put 20% on the front, and it will match nicely. I chose to put 50% on the rear because I wanted it a bit darker for security, that leaves it at 12.5% in the rear.
Sponsored

gd3mats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2o21 willys sport unlimited
We have 20% ceramic on the front to match the 50% ceramic applied over privacy glass. It's wonderful in the socal heat during the day. A little dark at night. Definitely cannot see occupants inside at night.
UV protection with ceramic tint feels worlds better than regular tint. Well worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
With all window tints the number dictates how much light is let in. When you begin to go into different tints like ceramic it does not really change how much light comes in but it does change the look of the tint from the outside (how dark the window appears from the outside) and can change other qualities such as how well radio signals come through the window and how much other spectrums of light like UV are blocked. The 70% on the back window being a tad lighter than the 20% is referring to them putting 70% over the factory tint. I believe I read that the factory tint is 25% on the Wranglers but I have not tested it so I do not know for sure.

I went with the ceramic tint at 35% on my front windows. In NC 35% is the legal limit on the front windows and none is allowed on the windshield. I love the ceramic and it is very close to matching the rear windows in appearance while still not having issues with inspection. I just got tired of over the years having to go to specific shops where I know people to get my cars to pass (Although that was usually due to illegal exhaust not tint. LOL).

I have thought about going with something like a 70% on my front window and just hope nobody notices. For those of you that have done this. How easy is it to notice when looking at the Jeep and is it a noticeable difference on the inside and even worth doing?

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
I'll be first to go contrarian. I donā€™t like any window tint on a vehicle Iā€™ll drive on dark streets or forest roads. If Iā€™m going to be spending a lot of time in the hot desert, then Iā€™ll tolerate a very light tint mainly for the heat shielding. And definitely ceramic for heat protection.

Flamingsword

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler sport
I'll be first to go contrarian. I donā€™t like any window tint on a vehicle Iā€™ll drive on dark streets or forest roads. If Iā€™m going to be spending a lot of time in the hot desert, then Iā€™ll tolerate a very light tint mainly for the heat shielding. And definitely ceramic for heat protection.
I usually don't go with window tint as well. I prefer to have full visibility at night and the tint does obscure that some. That being said with the rear windows tinted from the factory I couldn't stand the was it looked so I had to get some tint to try to even out the way they looked.

Sponsored

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
I went with ceramic all the way around. 5% on front windows, 15% hardtop and rear glass. Went with 40% on my windshield and haven't had any issues. I work night shift and have never had to roll the windows down to see parking lines etc.

I will say with 40% on the windshield, it'll keep the headlights on with them in Auto a lot longer than usual.

RAMSTEEL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Occupation
Army (Ret), Fed Guy
I believe there is a 90% ceramic. So for those that don't want tint or for the windshield, this gives the heat reduction without the darkness. Here in Cali it's illegal to tint windshield or front door windows.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic Vs. Regular Tint 1665649623521

So up to 30% on the fronts.

California was the worst state for tint when I was in the military. I would see 5% all around and no one was getting ticketed. That was 25 years ago so maybe it's changed.

jlandry287

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Diesel
I was going to have mine ceramic tinted but they wanted almost $600 for the job. I wanted ceramic for heat rejection since I live in southwest louisiana.
Found a shop that did nano carbon tint (I think itā€™s called) for around $300 for the job.
I got 15% all around, they just slapped some over the factory tint to help with heat and bring the % down. Also got an eyebrow and that makes a huge difference.
I will say it works wonders and you cannot see inside my cab at all, especially when I have my removable windshield cover in. Itā€™s super difficult to see in through the windshield also due to how dark it is inside the cabin.

19C8014E-A3ED-4112-8206-053114C882D8.jpeg

AB54E1D9-ED6C-4983-B6F0-B58D3DF03927.jpeg

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Alright, I've been reading a lot of threads on tinting recently and nothing seems to make sense... even in this thread.

I would be eternally grateful. šŸ˜±
Go to a local tint place and have them hold up samples on your glass. All will be revealed!šŸ¤“

Sponsored

Storm Cloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR 4xe
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Lawyer
1665649623521.png

So up to 30% on the fronts.

California was the worst state for tint when I was in the military. I would see 5% all around and no one was getting ticketed. That was 25 years ago so maybe it's changed.
Iā€™m not sure how you get 30% on the fronts is ok. 70% on the fronts is all that is legal. Thatā€™s very light.

Iā€™m in California and I have 20% on the fronts and 70% on the windshield. Itā€™s clearly illegal, but youā€™re right that no one is getting ticketed. Sure it happens, but Iā€™ve been running illegal tint on my cars for 30+ years and thatā€™s a ticket I havenā€™t gotten yet.

Booker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR XR
I always do ceramic since I live in the south. Really keeps the heat down in the summer.

I just had mine done on my 2023 JLUR this past Friday. 15% on fronts, 30% on back over the factory tint (makes them match the 15% on the front).

I also did 50% on the windshield. I had this done on my Audi 5 years ago and it's the best thing ever. You can still see perfectly fine at night, but it really cuts down on light and heat during the day (plus don't need to wear sunglasses when driving).

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The one thing I hate about super dark front door glass tint is that I canā€™t see the other driver at 4 way stops or parking lots. Iā€™ve seen some though their windshield (barely) waving and not understanding why no one sees them waving the other to go.

Tint on a windshield is bad in my opinion. I donā€™t want anything impairing forward visibility. I have sunglasses for bright light and glare. Get in a bad enough injury wreck, or hit a pedestrian, with illegal tint on the windshield and you can bet the investigator will include that in the report.

OP
OP
j2.pictures

j2.pictures

First Name
Justin Null
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
CDJR Salesperson
With all window tints the number dictates how much light is let in. When you begin to go into different tints like ceramic it does not really change how much light comes in but it does change the look of the tint from the outside (how dark the window appears from the outside) and can change other qualities such as how well radio signals come through the window and how much other spectrums of light like UV are blocked. The 70% on the back window being a tad lighter than the 20% is referring to them putting 70% over the factory tint. I believe I read that the factory tint is 25% on the Wranglers but I have not tested it so I do not know for sure.

I went with the ceramic tint at 35% on my front windows. In NC 35% is the legal limit on the front windows and none is allowed on the windshield. I love the ceramic and it is very close to matching the rear windows in appearance while still not having issues with inspection. I just got tired of over the years having to go to specific shops where I know people to get my cars to pass (Although that was usually due to illegal exhaust not tint. LOL).

I have thought about going with something like a 70% on my front window and just hope nobody notices. For those of you that have done this. How easy is it to notice when looking at the Jeep and is it a noticeable difference on the inside and even worth doing?
So I am glad you mentioned about how it changes the appearance from the outside. My goal is to make sure I can't be seen inside so I feel a tad more secure when I am sleeping in my Jeep :giggle: I am a little afraid the ceramic appears to be lighter from the outside. It doesn't look like it is much of an issue though.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Put a car cover over it before you go to sleep. Then no one will see in and it won't get too stuffy inside.
Sponsored