Sponsored

Ceramic coating pros and cons

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
If money is not an option look at clear bra or a paint protection film. The guy I've used to ceramic coat in the past has switched most of his business over to this as ceramic coating here in Minnesota does not seem to last as advertised. It is however much more expensive but is a one time application unless damaged.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
IMO they’re not worth the cost. It won’t protect against scratches in any way. Ceramic Coatings are great products and better than waxes/sealants. However waxes/sealants are really easy to use and you can get $10-$25 bottles that legitimately give 4-6 months of protection and can be applied in 15 minutes. Not to mention that $10-$25 is spread out over years, not every time you use it. Some notable spray bottles you can use that work great are Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, Ceramic or Graphene Spray, Griots 3 in 1, Meguiars Ceramic Spray, 303 Graphene Spray and I’m sure there’s more.

Again, Ceramic Coatings are better. But in the end they’re a glorified wax/sealant with better hydrophobic properties and lasts longer. In terms of value, I think paying somebody for a coating is not valuable at all considering how easy to use and how good consumer spray waxes/sealants have become.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I got it for my wife’s Rover and we have had it for about a year. I wouldn’t do it again. They don’t recommend you run it through a car wash, so you are stuck with hand washing. If I wanted to spend some money protecting the paint, I would get a clear wrap.

Sponsored

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re looking for paint protection and scratch protection I’d look at x-pel. You can do clear bras, or even whole wraps. But it’s self heals any minor scratches in the heat.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
If you’re looking for paint protection and scratch protection I’d look at x-pel. You can do clear bras, or even whole wraps. But it’s self heals any minor scratches in the heat.
The x-pel heals the scratches or clear wrap does?

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you enjoy routinely washing and waxing your vehicle, it’s not worth it in my opinion. A well maintained wax job is just as good. If you don’t wax regularly, then I just suggest you go and get your vehicle waxed every couple months. It’ll still come out cheaper.

Be careful what you read about ceramic coats. They are basically a hardened layer to provide additional sacrificial layer to avoid swirls, and maintain more hydrophobic paint. By no means does it make the paint more durable against rock chips, scratches, etc.

Sponsored

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
Like a clear wrap? Never heard of it.
I was going to say clear wrap, but with vinyl wrap, you can literally pick any color or design you want.

Ceramic Coating is really only used to protect your clearcoat from contaminants, harsh chemicals, and makes it easier to clean off; also provides a more glossy look. While vinyl wrap (or a better name for it, paint protection film) provides the same benefits as ceramic coating, but also protections your paint. Like stops rock chips, absorbs small scratches (like pinstripes), prevents swirls marks, and prevents hard water spots.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray

JeeperKeeper

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy’s Unlimited
Plus when your doors hinges bubble up they will need repainting.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Everone needs to get over the Ceramic Hype. 1st off there is NO 5 year ceramic protection without re-application. Secondly if it is not the Nano technology ceramic it is a nothing more than a synthetic sealer with a little ceramic inside, the ceramic part of that does not provide an added protection as the sealer is good for nearly a year on its own.

More importantly on a Wrangler, even Nano Ceramic coatings have little protection against scratching, one trail branch or bush and you will look like any other non protected rig.

Now PPF (paint Protection film) is a whole different animal. I have a Full 3M PPF on my Black 2018 Sahara with more than 2500 miles of dirt, gravel forest service roads and trails and to this day my paint still looks like new. IN fact unless it is caked with dirt I mostly dry wash. Better yet My PPF is warrantied for 10 years. I have a new 4xe (Hybrid Wrangler) also black arriving in about 2 weeks and will be having it also PPF'd.

AS many have said here if you apply any ceramic you will be limited on any grafics or stickers in the future. You will not be able to install PPF either if you decide. While Ceramic can be stripped it is no full proof and you may still have spotty adhesion issues.

below is a picture of the PPF reflection off of my wranglers door that has the 3M film.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coating pros and cons 3M 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Ceramic coating pros and cons IMG_0708

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
The x-pel heals the scratches or clear wrap does?
The Xpel heals scratches in the heat. Just a basic clear wrap will not self heal. There’s different types of xpel you can apply. You can get the Jeep fully wrapped in it (which I know someone who has done that) and then others just do a bra on it.
There are also some other brands that have something similar like 3m PPP
Sponsored