Caster Check Verification

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I have a 2021 Rubicon and while it's not horrible to drive at highway speeds, it has taken a long time to get used to it. I've also dropped my tire pressure down to 33psi, which has helped out tremendously. I still feel like something could be improved though.

Just on a whim, I used a digital angle gauge to just see my numbers. My floor is about +0.2 degrees where the front tire is. When measuring on the differential I'm seeing 89.9 degrees. On the knuckle I see 7.9 degrees.

From what I've read, I thought 90 degrees at the differential is about 6 degrees at the knuckle. I was surprised to see 7.9 at the knuckle. I was thinking about doing the LCA mod to install a bit longer arms but if it's really 7.9 degrees, maybe the LCA's would give it too much caster at 9.8?

I'm new to this so I can totally be off on my method and math. If somebody can verify this and let me know if something seems out of whack, that would be appreciated!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Caster Check Verification 20211129_184058
Jeep Wrangler JL Caster Check Verification 20211129_184032
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It seems like you are measuring correctly, but you're right, the readings are suspect. I used the knuckle measurement and mine was in the high 4s, but I also had a leveling/spacer lift. Longer LCAs (24.375") really transformed my steering.

I don't think that Jeep has made any attempt to correct this issue for Rubicons, so I can't imagine that you don't need the new LCAs.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems like you are measuring correctly, but you're right, the readings are suspect. I used the knuckle measurement and mine was in the high 4s, but I also had a leveling/spacer lift. Longer LCAs (24.375") really transformed my steering.

I don't think that Jeep has made any attempt to correct this issue for Rubicons, so I can't imagine that you don't need the new LCAs.
Thanks for the response. Being that I'm fairly new, I was wondering if it was something I was doing wrong or not understanding. Just for kicks, I took the measurement on the passenger side knuckle and it was the same as the drivers.

I'm not too sure what to make of it all. Being that it's not close to what I was expecting, I wonder if there's something not adjusted right on the Jeep.....but there's not much that you can adjust.

It's fully stock other than me installing a winch on the front bumper. But that shouldn't change the caster.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Thanks for the response. Being that I'm fairly new, I was wondering if it was something I was doing wrong or not understanding. Just for kicks, I took the measurement on the passenger side knuckle and it was the same as the drivers.

I'm not too sure what to make of it all. Being that it's not close to what I was expecting, I wonder if there's something not adjusted right on the Jeep.....but there's not much that you can adjust.

It's fully stock other than me installing a winch on the front bumper. But that shouldn't change the caster.
Again, I can't imagine that your caster is not bad, despite the measurements. An alignment shop would be able to give you a definitive assessment. The LCA (especially if you go with the Mopar lift kit ones) replacement is cheap: $50 parts + $100 labor (or DIY) for install. Given the high (nearly 200lbft) of torque on the LCA bolts, I opted for a professional install, but it was inexpensive.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, I can't imagine that your caster is not bad, despite the measurements. An alignment shop would be able to give you a definitive assessment. The LCA (especially if you go with the Mopar lift kit ones) replacement is cheap: $50 parts + $100 labor (or DIY) for install. Given the high (nearly 200lbft) of torque on the LCA bolts, I opted for a professional install, but it was inexpensive.
I agree with you and about the measurement. I just felt like something was off, but I'm new to Wranglers so maybe it's normal. Sticking that protractor and taking the measurement made me wonder if maybe something is off.

I also agree that an alignment shop would give me a for sure answer. I was thinking about getting one of those lifetime alignments and just asking the guys to just print out the numbers and call it a day. I don't want to go that route just yet though. I feel confident enough to be able to install the LCA's myself, but I don't want to if that's going to push me into 10 plus degrees when it should be 6 degrees......i think.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I’m more worried about all the wetness under there.