Buying your JL

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Lately seen too many people canceling their orders even once they are in transit.

Agree on the sale price of the vehicle first.

Just let them know if you are an affiliate like Tread Lightly or work for a company on “the list”.

Ask about any dealer adds. Figure that out.

Ask if financing is mandatory or cash/your own financing is acceptable for your deal.

Get a copy of the offer with your signature and the selling dealerships signature when you agree on it.

If you have a trade, you are kinda screwed as values constantly change. If you are willing to immediately give your trade to the dealer, bring it up, otherwise, there is no trade. Understand? Yep, you are kinda screwed there for the most part unless your dealer is stupid or you have a previous relationship with them. Then, they might do you a solid.

Questions?
Sponsored

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
as I have never done a dealer/factory order, can you briefly explain the process? any deposit/down payment needed up front? what paperwork needs to be done, etc.? if you cancel your order once in transit, surely there is some penalty incurred, since the dealer would be left with a customized order that may sit on the lot longer than a stock vehicle.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

brandon3_16

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger SRT
I custom ordered my build 3 days ago and was told no deposit needed. He said if I don't take it would certainly sell anyways, lol. It helps I'm in the business and worked for the th 15 years ago though.

Honestly though guys anyone that backs out of their custom orders, the dealership shouldn't have any issue selling JL's right now, unless you are ordering orange or blue possibly.

TraktorE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
@JLWF Dealer Guy
For various reasons I had to reorder (they sold my initial order within less than 3 days) and agreed on the pricing.
What surprised me a bit was that they showed no interest in the FCA affiliate award and actually made a statement that they would need to sell it to me at 1% below invoice if they use it (which I believe is wrong).

I am ok with the agreed pricing but thought there may be a benefit for both parties when using additionally an FCA affiliate code.
Are there indeed cases where it is not worth for a dealer to use an affiliate code?

Sponsored

azjlur

First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
@JLWF Dealer Guy
For various reasons I had to reorder (they sold my initial order within less than 3 days) and agreed on the pricing.
What surprised me a bit was that they showed no interest in the FCA affiliate award and actually made a statement that they would need to sell it to me at 1% below invoice if they use it (which I believe is wrong).

I am ok with the agreed pricing but thought there may be a benefit for both parties when using additionally an FCA affiliate code.
Are there indeed cases where it is not worth for a dealer to use an affiliate code?
They do have to sell it to you for 1% below invoice with the Affiliate Reward, but they get 2% back from FCA for that.

OP
OP
JLWF Dealer Guy

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
as I have never done a dealer/factory order, can you briefly explain the process? any deposit/down payment needed up front? what paperwork needs to be done, etc.? if you cancel your order once in transit, surely there is some penalty incurred, since the dealer would be left with a customized order that may sit on the lot longer than a stock vehicle.
Deposits are subject to whatever the dealer asks for. Some are ok with refunding it some not. Ask about that. Everything sells in the end unless it’s a bastard 3590 manual trans with vinyl floors in school is yellow. A Jeep, I would never be concerned.

OP
OP
JLWF Dealer Guy

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
@JLWF Dealer Guy

There is always a benefit for both parties to use the affiliate program. Any knowledgeable dealer should embrace it.

OP
OP
JLWF Dealer Guy

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Additionally, they can use that affiliate and still sell it to you for less. They don’t have to sell it for that exact price .

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Lately seen too many people canceling their orders even once they are in transit.

Agree on the sale price of the vehicle first.

Just let them know if you are an affiliate like Tread Lightly or work for a company on “the list”.

Ask about any dealer adds. Figure that out.

Ask if financing is mandatory or cash/your own financing is acceptable for your deal.

Get a copy of the offer with your signature and the selling dealerships signature when you agree on it.

If you have a trade, you are kinda screwed as values constantly change. If you are willing to immediately give your trade to the dealer, bring it up, otherwise, there is no trade. Understand? Yep, you are kinda screwed there for the most part unless your dealer is stupid or you have a previous relationship with them. Then, they might do you a solid.

Questions?
My dealer has offered me a value for my trade, and then told me the number will fluctuate based on the principle owing at the time the jeep arrives. If my loan payout is a thousand less than at the time we signed, the trade offer will be a thousand less, leaving my numbers effectively the same. Is that common?

bueller44

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon in FireCracker Red - Loaded
My dealer has offered me a value for my trade, and then told me the number will fluctuate based on the principle owing at the time the jeep arrives. If my loan payout is a thousand less than at the time we signed, the trade offer will be a thousand less, leaving my numbers effectively the same. Is that common?
That doesn't sound right.
My dealer, 2 days ago, gave me a price for my JKU trade - this price was based on what he thought I would add in mileage over th next 3 months. This number is locked in - $25K. I ill make 3 payments between now and then and my amount owed will be lower at the time of delivery. So I will have a little more equity in my vehicle versus the $25K they are giving me for my JKU. They should not be dropping your trade amount based on what your loan amount is - that really is none of their business to be honest!

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
To touch a little on the "trade in" part of things here...

The dealer well provide you a conservative trade in value or advise you not to go over certain mileage. But make sure you have that on writing or get signatures. :like:

Jcaron9gt4

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 WRX | 2018 JLU Sport S 6 Speed
That doesn't sound right.
My dealer, 2 days ago, gave me a price for my JKU trade - this price was based on what he thought I would add in mileage over th next 3 months. This number is locked in - $25K. I ill make 3 payments between now and then and my amount owed will be lower at the time of delivery. So I will have a little more equity in my vehicle versus the $25K they are giving me for my JKU. They should not be dropping your trade amount based on what your loan amount is - that really is none of their business to be honest!
I know they need the actual payoff at the end of the day, but I always try and withhold that until we have a sale price or trade in value established. It shouldn't matter what you have left on your loan when negotiating a trade in value, yet somehow that's the first question that is always asked right after what you would like to pay a month...
Sponsored