Dealer Deposit

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Sorry in advance for this noob question, but never ordered a vehicle before and will be ordering my new Sahara soon!!

Do you give the dealer a check that they just hold until your Jeep gets delivered or do they cash it immediately? Do you put it on a credit card like one dealer suggested to me? I just don’t know how this works. (edit to add- It doesnt matter either way to me, just curious as to what i should expect and look for)

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
Sorry in advance for this noob question, but never ordered a vehicle before and will be ordering my new Sahara soon!!

Do you give the dealer a check that they just hold until your Jeep gets delivered or do they cash it immediately? Do you put it on a credit card like one dealer suggested to me? I just don’t know how this works. (edit to add- It doesnt matter either way to me, just curious as to what i should expect and look for)

Thanks in advance.
I wrote my dealer a check for $500 on 1/5. They still have not cashed it. The way I understood it, it's only cashed if you back out after the order takes place--and likely only once you are beyond a certain status.

If you end up taking delivery, your check is returned.

EDIT: Although, it would not surprise me if this practice varied between dealerships just as much as the dollar amount required for the deposit. Your best bet is just to ask the dealer.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wrote my dealer a check for $500 on 1/5. They still have not cashed it. The way I understood it, it's only cashed if you back out after the order takes place--and likely only once you are beyond a certain status.

If you end up taking delivery, your check is returned.

EDIT: Although, it would not surprise me if this practice varied between dealerships just as much as the dollar amount required for the deposit. Your best bet is just to ask the dealer.
Thanks man...thats what I figured, but thought I would see what you all here had to say...especially since the dealer I am talking to wants a $2,000 deposit.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NP! And IMO, a $2000 deposit is ridiculous and you should shop around.

I believe there are some members who have been able to order with no deposit at all.
I agree...and I already have started. This was just the first dealer here in STL that I went to because they actually had a JLU to sit in and look at! Already have contacted several others. :like:

Sponsored

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Each dealer seems to be different, so are the prices and if it is refundable or not.

The 4 CDJR dealers within 30 minutes of my house varied
$2000 non refundable
$1000 refundable
$500 non refundable
$100 refundable (<--- they win)

I mean if you know you are buying the Jeep regardless then the order payment is not exactly a big deal as it gets applied to the overall Jeep anyways at some point. Its just how much cash do you want to throw out of your pocket initially and are you willing to gamble with the non refundables for any reason...say loss of a job or other unexpected expenses prevent you from pulling the trigger between order day, and delivery day.

OP
OP
STL J-Hawk

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Each dealer seems to be different, so are the prices and if it is refundable or not.

The 4 CDJR dealers within 30 minutes of my house varied
$2000 non refundable
$1000 refundable
$500 non refundable
$100 refundable (<--- they win)

I mean if you know you are buying the Jeep regardless then the order payment is not exactly a big deal as it gets applied to the overall Jeep anyways at some point. Its just how much cash do you want to throw out of your pocket initially and are you willing to gamble with the non refundables for any reason...say loss of a job or other unexpected expenses prevent you from pulling the trigger between order day, and delivery day.
Thats all great info. I know what you mean, and that makes perfect sense regarding it going towards the price I will pay. I was just curious how it all works. This dealer is probably not the one for me, as they also don't seem to want to budge off of the price other than the Tread Lightly discount. For sure will shop around before placing my order next month.

theiowan

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Occupation
CPA
Thats all great info. I know what you mean, and that makes perfect sense regarding it going towards the price I will pay. I was just curious how it all works. This dealer is probably not the one for me, as they also don't seem to want to budge off of the price other than the Tread Lightly discount. For sure will shop around before placing my order next month.
No deposit required from the dealer that I ordered from.
Sponsored