Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
I am learning not to fall too much for these option games with new vehicles. Especially things like "upgraded speakers". You can go to Cructchfield and swap out the cheap OEM speakers for a quality set from a company like Morel and for $500 or less you have a much better sounding sytem.

Three years ago we shopped the new 18 Honda Odyssey for my wife. She really wanted a heated steering wheel and that only comes on the Elite trim, which was like a $5-7K bump in price. Did some research and sure enough Honda can install the OEM kit for $500 and there you go. Wife happy. I replaced all the garbage Honda OEM speaker with Rockford Fosgate during a good sale and my wife was super happy.

You can add so many tech features aftermarket and usually pay a lot less and get much better quality.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
If you think jalopnik is a reliable source you need your head examined.
I figured I'd take some heat for that, but the article clearly shows its source of information. In this case, Twitter. It is very easy to confirm that those tweets exist. You can question the validity of the tweets if you want, but Jalopnik's credibility is not really relevant in this case.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Are there really any manufacurers that don't do this? I've been casually looking for a new vehicle for years now and every one I like quickly turns into a no go because of how the manufacturers pigeonhole you into pricey package upgrades just to get simple options you may want even though there is nothing physically preventing them from adding options a la carte. Like no option for leather seats unless you upgrade to to a model that's $10k+ more and then pay $2k on top of that for the option you want.
My wife drives a 2012 Mini Countryman All4 S right now. Though we bought it used, I do recall being rather impressed by the amount of a la carte options that were available on that car at the time. Her car has a Harman Kardon stereo, and manual seats! How 'bout that.

I have not played with the build and price tools on the current Mini offerings.

Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I think the Bronco is going to be a great machine. Is it a wrangler killer? No, But it’s definitely competition and in the same ball game. It’ll take some real world testing to see which one actually comes out on top.
I think both have their merits, but I don’t see my Jeep going anywhere.

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
An inexpensive, small, low tech, bare bones but capable wheeling rig with fairly reliable drivetrain components? Nah...that would never sell in the US where the vast majority claim they "need" all the latest tech available.
How many Americans bought the Mahindra Roxxor? That's the closest thing that's been available in the recent past.

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I think the Bronco is going to be a great machine. Is it a wrangler killer? No, But it’s definitely competition and in the same ball game. It’ll take some real world testing to see which one actually comes out on top.
I think both have their merits, but I don’t see my Jeep going anywhere.
100% agree. Jeep has an insane following. Ford reintroducing Bronco to the market will be an experiment more than anything.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
That a hard competition coming .
Not a Ford guy but need to admit they did a great job and a first edition fully loaded with a good engine with great torque and 35 etc etc et for 61K... message is clear
Now I understand why they leak the 392 concept .... they knew something big was coming
Let’s hope that we, customers, will take advantage of this off-roader war
We have not seen everything yet. There is still plenty of room for an SVT version with the 3.5. I think that is more of why Jeep put the 392 concept out.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
If it didn't have the removable top and doors...I think it would really only be competing with the Hummer H3 Alphas, FJCruiser, etc.
I’d say your spot on there, however with that stuff and most importantly The fact that Jeeps aren’t just used for rock crawling, that’s what Ford is looking at.

Aljeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I was speculating that the IFS might help them pass the 35s off safety wise, but it is still misleading and the first thing most people do with their wranglers is a cheap lift with new 35+ tires. So the best in class doesn't mean much, is still say its misleading for the same reasons.
Sponsored