Sponsored

Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I'm having the same issue with a blank tire pressure reading from the LF tire. I rotated tires to see if it might be a TPMS sensor in the tire but the LF is still blank.

Has anyone been able to locate the TPMS receiver on the frame for the LF, and if I replace it would it need to be programmed or is it plug and play?

2018 JL Rubicon
@Ribs33

I look forward to the info you ferret out so to speak in regard to the JL, TPMS receiver or receiver's...

As recently as 3 weeks ago, I had a dealership Tech tell me that there 3 receivers on the frame of a JL... that is the way it used to me with the Wranglers, so figured the Tech was just telling me something I thought was still correct/current.

Anyway, if indeed things have moved to a single TPMS monitor, mounted in one place versus 3 receivers mounted on 3 different places on the frame, then I sure would like to know more about this.. I'm sure other's here would like to know current info on this also.

...Would like to know how the single monitor worked so to speak. I knew how things worked with 3 frame mounted sensors... but with one monitor, not sure how it would work.... Hmmmmm...

Hopefully, you find out lots and then come back and tell us that indeed there is only one TPMS receiver and not 3 and how that set-up comes into play so the JL knows what TPMS is where, etc..
I would like to know and I will surely let that dealership Tech friend of mine know..

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Well, this is interesting. I understand that the main TPMS module is attached to the rear cross member. However, I thought that there still had to be some sort of sensor at each of the wheel wells, otherwise that main module wouldn't know where each tire is located. A few minutes of google searching turned up the explanation below. I didn't know the system was that precise.

Jeep Wrangler TPMS Module Location
The Jeep Wrangler TPMS wireless receiver is located on the chassis cross member. The receiver gets its information from the dual-axis accelerometer in the wheel sensors. This is used to determine the front and rear position through its signal strength. These are highly sophisticated sensors and should only be replaced by genuine OEM sensors. Avoid the cheap versions.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The relative signal strength explanation is not applicable to the JL. The system uses phase information gathered directly by the TPMS sensors as well as velocity info gathered from the ABS wheel speed sensors to compute which wheel is which.

The actual explanation requires that almost all of the superstitions be discarded and abandoned.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
The relative signal strength explanation is not applicable to the JL.
Of course itā€™s relative....

Having owned two RAM 3500 DRW pickups (a 2013 and a 2014 with TPIS).....relative signal strength as well as dual axis accelerometer technology is what makes this technology work on a DRW that utilizes six sensors.

The front wheels and rear outer wheels are on the same frequencies. The inners are on a different frequency.

The TPIS differentiates front tires from rear tires based on signal strength.

The TPIS differentiates left side tires from right side tires by rotation...left side tires rotate in a counter-clockwise fashion. Right side tires rotate in a clockwise fashion.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/dually-roataion-screwup.2086921/#post-24124105

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
Well, this is interesting. I understand that the main TPMS module is attached to the rear cross member. However, I thought that there still had to be some sort of sensor at each of the wheel wells, otherwise that main module wouldn't know where each tire is located. A few minutes of google searching turned up the explanation below. I didn't know the system was that precise.

Reading the article in link you posted I read this (have no idea if true):
"If you managed to determine one or more of your sensors are defective, replace them with a genuine OEM part. Aftermarket sensors have proven to be more unreliable. There are 3 sensors located on the chassis that manage the 4x TPMS sensors on each wheel. Your spare tire sensor is inactive until it is replaced by one of the wheels"

Edit:
The article actually refers to 3 chassis sensors in a couple places, once under "Sensor replacement" and again under "Module replacement".
I think this article is for the JK.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Just to follow up on where the TPMS receiver is located on my 2018 JL - it's on top of the rear crossmember and can be seen when looking from just behind the rear end looking to the top of the crossmember.

The plug comes in from the right side and you can easily unplug and see that all of your pressure readings go blank until plugged back in.

In my case it looks like something in the receiver is bad, not giving a reading for the LF, so I'll need to get a replacement.
Do have stock wheels? I have been wondering if between lift and less back spacing if itā€™s just too far. When I slam on the brakes and get lots of weight transfer, mine reads for a little while.

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
UPDATE on my quest to diagnose and fix my TPMS system issue:

Initial problem:
  • LF tire pressure was not registering and Check TPMS System message displayed
  • Rotated tires and put tire previously on LF on RR, thinking RR should now be the one not registering
    • LF still showed blank, all others reading correctly
Steps taken to repair:
  • Assumed it was not a TPMS wheel sensor issue but related to the TPMS receiver mounted on the rear crossmember.
    • removed original tpms receiver to check plug connection and see if there was anything noticeably wrong
      • plugged back in, drove Jeep around but still no reading at LF
  • Ordered a replacement receiver (info on part numbers below)
  • Replacement receiver arrived, replaced original receiver
  • Started Jeep, all four tired displayed correct pressures and Check TPMS System light was GONE! SUCCESS!!!!...or so I thought.
  • After driving for about 30 minutes the Check TPMS System turned back on and now BOTH rears are not displaying tire pressures, but both fronts are displaying correctly
I'm at a loss as to what to do next, but I feel it's related to the TPMS sensor on the crossmember, whether it needs programmed to my Jeep or something power related.

Part number info:
  • The 68260735AC is the correct part # for the TPMS receiver AND the bracket
  • 52112206AC is the part # for just the receiver
Here is a pic of the inside of my original TPMS receiver. Just 4 pins and an antenna built into the cover, operates at 433mhz.
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located? 1642866491221

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken TPMS RECEIVER sensor? Where's it located? 1642866593681

Open to ideas as to what to do next. I hope this helps others dealing with what seems to be a common problem with little info available on root cause of the issue and how to fix.

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Do have stock wheels? I have been wondering if between lift and less back spacing if itā€™s just too far. When I slam on the brakes and get lots of weight transfer, mine reads for a little while.
I have Fuel Trophy wheels with negative offset, but this setup has worked perfectly with the TPMS system for 3 years, so it doesn't seem that would be the cause.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR

Initial problem:
  • Rotated tires and put tire previously on LF on RR, thinking RR should now be the one not registering
Steps taken to repair:
  • Assumed it was not a TPMS wheel sensor issue but related to the TPMS receiver mounted on the rear crossmember.
    • removed original tpms receiver to check plug connection and see if there was anything noticeably wrong
  • Started Jeep, all four tired displayed correct pressures and Check TPMS System light was GONE! SUCCESS!!!!...or so I thought.
  • After driving for about 30 minutes the Check TPMS System turned back on and now BOTH rears are not displaying tire pressures, but both fronts are displaying correctly
I'm at a loss as to what to do next, but I feel it's related to the TPMS sensor on the crossmember, whether it needs programmed to my Jeep or something power related.

Part number info:
Here is a pic of the inside of my original TPMS receiver. Just 4 pins and an antenna built into the cover, operates at 433mhz.

Open to ideas as to what to do next. I hope this helps others dealing with what seems to be a common problem with little info available on root cause of the issue and how to fix.
Thanks for trying I was hoping that would fix it. Then I was going to buy one.

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR

Initial problem:
Steps taken to repair:

Part number info:

mine quit working after a software update, not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So this Receiver is located under the Jeep, and is not sealed/ water proofed. It would be interesting to open one up that has seen aggressive fording and submersion for a few years. Not an issue for the ops problem, but Curious Minds would like to know the future risk

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Open to ideas as to what to do next.
Check and verify the plugs are seated firmly and correctly within the connector. Add some dielectric grease while youā€™re at it.....

Good luck!

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Did anyone ever figure this out? Iā€™m having the same problem in my Gladiator.
Mine started working less intermittently when the temperature got above 85.. no idea. My theory with no evidence is back spacing/distance and battery level on sensors

marc2912

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
The plug comes in from the right side and you can easily unplug and see that all of your pressure readings go blank until plugged back in.
Hi I know this is an older thread but I'm also having an issue with the receiver turning on and off sporadically. Are you talking about the cross member holding the rear bumper? Do you have any pics of this or where it is. I can't find it for the life of me.
Sponsored