First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
Was just under the front of the Jeep, doing some recon for my future flat tow setup, and found oil/lube across the backside of the swaybar disconnect skid plate. For the life of me I have no idea where it's coming from.

20191118_122520.jpg
Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Was just under the front of the Jeep, doing some recon for my future flat tow setup, and found oil/lube across the backside of the swaybar disconnect skid plate. For the life of me I have no idea where it's coming from.
What color? It's difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks dark.

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
What color? It's difficult to tell from the picture, but it looks dark.
Essentially clear, barely shows on a white paper towel. I'd guess it's motor oil. Dipstick shows proper level.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Based on your description is isn't "motor" oil.

Does it smell like oil?

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Following thread because this is a stumper and I want to know what it is. I agree that there is no way motor oil would be up there. Can you take the plate off and do some digging?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.

20191118_122520.jpg
Did someone change the oil recently? Looks like a good place to collect oil if the filter was mishandled or dropped.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Did someone change the oil recently? Looks like a good place to collect oil if the filter was mishandled or dropped.
This was my thought in terms of residual oil.

Steps I would take:

Check levels (already did that I see)

Wipe it up.

Check for leaks while it’s running.

Place cardboard underneath the vehicle where you park it.

Operate vehicle normally for a few days and check the cardboard & levels.

If it’s residual oil it won’t show back up again and you don’t have any issues.

If it shows back up again you have an issue.

Hope this helps!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Any drips, puddles? You have a new Jeep... If it's clear, could there be a way for brake fluid to find its way there?
I'm not sure what else could be that clear while new.

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I've got an appointment to take it to the dealer Wednesday. I'll let them investigate further. If I hadn't been under it for something unrelated I'd never of found it, at least until I started to see spots in the driveway.

There's only 600 miles on the odometer, no oil changes yet.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I've got an appointment to take it to the dealer Wednesday. I'll let them investigate further. If I hadn't been under it for something unrelated I'd never of found it, at least until I started to see spots in the driveway.

There's only 600 miles on the odometer, no oil changes yet.
That’s probably your best bet. Make sure you show them the photo as well so they have an idea if you wiped it clean. New Jeep, let the dealer handle it as it may drive you crazy looking for answers on your own. Good luck and report back! That’s how our knowledge base here grows and it could benefit someone in the future!

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
That’s probably your best bet. Make sure you show them the photo as well so they have an idea if you wiped it clean. New Jeep, let the dealer handle it as it may drive you crazy looking for answers on your own. Good luck and report back! That’s how our knowledge base here grows and it could benefit someone in the future!
I already sent them the photo.

While there they'll also be checking torque specs on all steering & suspension components. While not as severe as some have reported, it does wander.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I already sent them the photo.

While there they'll also be checking torque specs on all steering & suspension components. While not as severe as some have reported, it does wander.
Good deal, glad you’re getting taken care of man. Better to be safe than sorry.

Be sure to always keep all of your paperwork on any new vehicle. At least that’s what I do. That way when you’re out of warranty and on your own (if you still have it) everything is documented. It’s just a good practice along the way I’ve learned.

Start doing some reading in here. There is some very good stuff especially on steering related issues. Lots of TSB’s and a few recalls. If you have any questions along the way feel free to ask, no question is a dumb question. You know the drill. Good luck!

KnG818

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon

20191118_122520.jpg
As an immediate measure..make sure the oil filter and oil fill caps are tightened securely.

OR whomever initially prepped your vehicle when it was received may have spilt some oil and its residual.

Do you notice an oil spot on the ground where you park at all?

OP
OP
Jmonroe

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As I type this I'm in the dealer's waiting room.

Thanks to all for the input. Not my first rodeo, I have everything done at a dealer and usually suggest most do. Their system tracks past complaints and work done, tracks and will match up any "silent" recalls or TSBs and will generally end up with them giving you the benefit of the doubt if anything unusal pops up. Case in point...

Years ago we'd purchased a Geo Tracker as my wifes car and for use as a "toad". We drove that thing well past 100k miles before selling it off. That was the third vehicle we'd bought there, and not because of the sales staff, never had the same salesman twice. We kept going back because the service department always treated my wife well. If there was something unusual suggested when she took it in they'd call me for approval, at her request.

At about 95k miles, the car was now my commuter, the steering started to wander badly. I took it in and they diagnosed bad wheel beari gs, said there was no evidence they'd ever been repacked. I reminded them it had been there every 3k miles for service, since new, we had always relied on them to track service needs. After confirming what I was telling him was true the then new service manager told me that for some reason a wheel bearing repack was not on their computers but it WAS in the written manual that no one ever referred to anymore. With that he said if I'd agree to pay the equivalent of one repack, about $90, he'd have both sides rebuilt, something they'd already told me would be $750. Think "Joe's garage" or Jiffy lube would have done the same?

That's just one example from our decades of vehicle ownership.
Sponsored