kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Took the Jeep to the dealership to schedule the steering box replacement and have the GPS unit fixed (kept putting me in the middle of the Pacific Ocean). While talking to the tech, they told me they'd probably need to order a new unit but there was probably a quicker fix: just reinstall the software. Obviously that didn't go well...

My radio is now bricked (new one was ordered last week but package seems to have gone missing), displaying a black screen that shows error code 20:

Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" 41CF303B-AEFF-4119-AEFE-3EEAB614A573

When I picked it up from the dealership, it was stuck in a white screen -- switched to black after driving for a few miles.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bricked 8.4NAV "Update Failed, Error Code: 20" B9AA3C00-8844-40C5-B616-D8838A1713B1

The radio will continue to display this message even when the car is turned off and locked.

Does anyone know a way to reset the radio? Or at least have it shut down, so it doesn't drain battery?
Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
I have this same error after a failed update. It just stays on that while screen saying it will revert back to the old system but doesn't do anything. Ugh, it's Saturday night and I can't even bring in til monday. Pretty sure the battery will be dead by then if it doesn't go off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the battery will be dead by then if it doesn't go off.
Take the F97 fuse out, that’ll keep the battery from dying. Check the manual for the location.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Take the F97 fuse out, that’ll keep the battery from dying. Check the manual for the location.
I did that, thanks. Tried plugging it back in to see if it fixed the issue, but it did not. Guess it's out til I can bring it in, ugh.

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Tried plugging it back in to see if it fixed the issue, but it did not.
Yeah, sorry to hear. I had to get mine replaced (under warranty). Took about a week for the new radio to arrive and just a couple hours to install. Good luck!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I did that, thanks. Tried plugging it back in to see if it fixed the issue, but it did not. Guess it's out til I can bring it in, ugh.
Unfortunately, you'll need to replace the radio. The aircard, the 4G cellular card that UConnect uses for GPS positioning, is dead. When this happens, any updates will fail as will the attempt to revert back to the previous version. This causes the bootloop you're experiencing.

eciaccord

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep
This worked for me just a few minutes ago. You may want to try this and see if it helps. I was able to get it to revert to the old program. I first made sure I removed my tazer (that’s if you have one installed). I just unplugged it and didn’t go through the hassle of unmarrying it. I then had the vehicle on while I removed the fuse to the head unit (F97). I had the fuse out for a minute while the Jeep was on. I then placed the fuse back in and the screen turned black for a couple of minutes. There was nothing displayed. The black update screen came on and showed the download was about to begin when it went back do the white screen stating it will revert to the original due to the error. It went to 16% to 32% to %64. Once it was completed the unit came back on. It didn’t do the update but it’s back to the way it was prior to this mess up. Now I’m contemplating taking it to the dealership since I only have 18 days before I’m out of warranty.

Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, need a new head unit. A few days to a few weeks to get a new one. Ugh.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
This just happened to me today. The GPS went out prior to the update (I assume the 4G card?). I'll call the dealer in the morning.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This worked for me just a few minutes ago. You may want to try this and see if it helps. I was able to get it to revert to the old program. I first made sure I removed my tazer (that’s if you have one installed). I just unplugged it and didn’t go through the hassle of unmarrying it. I then had the vehicle on while I removed the fuse to the head unit (F97). I had the fuse out for a minute while the Jeep was on. I then placed the fuse back in and the screen turned black for a couple of minutes. There was nothing displayed. The black update screen came on and showed the download was about to begin when it went back do the white screen stating it will revert to the original due to the error. It went to 16% to 32% to %64. Once it was completed the unit came back on. It didn’t do the update but it’s back to the way it was prior to this mess up. Now I’m contemplating taking it to the dealership since I only have 18 days before I’m out of warranty.
I tried that but the loading back to previous software never made it past the 32%. Tomorrow will be two weeks without my Jeep. Pretty pissed off that the unit can’t handle a simple download.

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
My GPS went out yesterday. The update proceeded and the "Update failed, code 20" message was displayed. It's at the dealer.

I noticed my dads GPS is now non-functional. I assume that may mean either an update is pending or a bricking is pending.
Sponsored