First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon2020 Jeep Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
REALTOR®
Has anyone had issues with their brakes not feeling like they are going to stop you??

I have a 2020 JLUR and ever since I picked it up last August the brakes always feel soft and I am sometimes worried I won't actually stop, I assumed it was just me comparing them to my Mercedes, last week I used my parking brake for the first time and it moved almost freely... I called my dealer and after a lot of CRAP, I have an appointment to drop it off Monday, they made sure I was aware that brakes were wearable and not warranty!! I have less than 12,000 miles and that is the crap they tell me... I asked about a loaner and they said it has to be diagnosed first and that can take a week.. So I am curious if I am alone with this issue and if anyone has luck with @JeepCares helping in any way. I am slightly pissed!
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Wranglers are a little heavy, have big aggressive tires and most importantly are not aerodynamic whatsoever. They do not stop on a dime. I'm guessing this isn't your first Wrangler if you have a TJ but I personally feel you're probably too used to the Mercedes. The E-Brake is also for when you're at low to zero speed, it won't stop you when you're going a decent amount.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Has anyone had issues with their brakes not feeling like they are going to stop you??

I have a 2020 JLUR and ever since I picked it up last August the brakes always feel soft and I am sometimes worried I won't actually stop, I assumed it was just me comparing them to my Mercedes, last week I used my parking brake for the first time and it moved almost freely... I called my dealer and after a lot of CRAP, I have an appointment to drop it off Monday, they made sure I was aware that brakes were wearable and not warranty!! I have less than 12,000 miles and that is the crap they tell me... I asked about a loaner and they said it has to be diagnosed first and that can take a week.. So I am curious if I am alone with this issue and if anyone has luck with @JeepCares helping in any way. I am slightly pissed!
Which Mercedes model and year are you comparing it to?
It is a bit normal for any vehicle to move and settle once put in to P. And when it does, it doesn't do it slowly so it can be scary if you are close to other vehicles on a slope, etc. After putting to P, remember to pull the hand brake before you take the foot off the brake.

The brakes in general can feel less effective depending on traction because of ABS. Although your tires are wide, their contact area isn't as much as it can be on something like some Mercs.

Also try going to a different dealer.

Wranglers are a little heavy, have big aggressive tires and most importantly are not aerodynamic whatsoever. They do not stop on a dime.
In general, being not aerodynamic helps with stopping. It will play a role in slowing down at speeds probably above 50mph but a Wrangler doesn't stay above 50mph for long if you take the foot off the gas pedal anyway for it to be useful.

OP
OP
keithd60

keithd60

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR®
I know it is not going to brake as well as my Mercedes, it should hold itself in D with the parking brake set.. No this is not my first Jeep, I had a CJ7 that stopped better..

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Cares can help get an appointment wirh a dealer or check on parts delivery but dealers are undependent franchisees that Jeep has limited control over. Brake wear isn't covered but an issue with the braking system would be warranty work.
Jeep wave covers same day rental coverage for repair or maintenance but doesn't cover anything for overnight or longer.

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
You have the larger 2 piston HD brakes, should stop it fine. and yes brakes are a wear item and generally most dealers wont warranty pads/ rotors after 12k miles.

Have had no issues on my Rubicon or wifes Sahara,

IMG_1410.JPG

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It's possible your Jeep had some air in the lines from the start, every now and then one thing slips by the QC checks. Hopefully just a bleed will take care of your poor performing brakes although the e-brake should secure your vehicle. BTW, is your brake reservoir at the proper level?

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bled the brakes on my 2018 at 15k miles since I had just lifted it and installed 37's. Prior, the brake pedal felt a little soft and not as firm as I thought it should be with twin piston calipers on the front. There were a lot of air bubbles in every line. After a complete flush/bleeding, the pedal was firmer and stopping was better. The pedal firmness on my 2019 is good and the 2018 is now similar to it.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi there, we certainly understand your concern. Feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN so that we may investigate further.

Kathryn
JeepCares

YellOhJL

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Network Engineer
I just picked up a 2020 Sport S last month, and my first impression is that the brakes required alot of pressure to the pedal to stop, but the pedal was firm. I liked that it required firm pressure, I don't like brakes that you lightly tap and get sent flying into the dash.
When describing e-Brake action, do you mean that the lever had alot of travel until you felt it engage the brakes to hold the car? My E-brake only moves about an inch and it is able to hold the car.

Sponsored

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
I just picked up a 2020 Sport S last month, and my first impression is that the brakes required alot of pressure to the pedal to stop, but the pedal was firm. I liked that it required firm pressure, I don't like brakes that you lightly tap and get sent flying into the dash.
Agreed, our Explorer has brakes like that and I hate it, makes it hard to slow down smoothly, even after several years I cant get used to it.

My Jeep requires more movement of the pedal to come to a complete stop, but in the pedal-travel between that point its much easier to finely control the brake and speed, I love it.

OP
OP
keithd60

keithd60

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR®
It is in the shop still. The service manager said they have had "a lot of 2020 come back with brake issues". H said he had never seen someone pull the Ebrake and the vehicle travel freely with little to no resistance.. So, we will see..

OP
OP
keithd60

keithd60

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
REALTOR®
Update: They replaced all 4 brakes and rotors due to "failure". I also had sloppy steering, they replaced my trackbar. Keep in mind I have less than 12,000 miles..

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Update: They replaced all 4 brakes and rotors due to "failure". I also had sloppy steering, they replaced my trackbar. Keep in mind I have less than 12,000 miles..
Damn, no details on the "failure"? That would seem to be a MC/Booster, or even an ABS system issue that you were describing (or air in the system like I mentioned above). Bad rotors, calipers don't really exhibit what you described. Those are typically frozen, sticking pistons in the calipers (or a crack/leak), and warping or cracking in the rotors.
Hopefully you can find out what really happened, would be nice to know.
Sponsored