Bolt hood lock failure

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have a 13 month old Bolt Hood Lock. It has worked flawlessly thr prior 5 or so times I used it. This weekend I locked it, and now it will not unlock.

I have tried both sets of keys, and with the side hinges released so I could alter the pressure on the lock. Nothing works....my hood is stuck locked.

1st question: what is the best method to resolve this? A screwdriver to force the tumbler?

2nd question: has this happened to anyone else? I am definitely concerned with ever using this product again.
Sponsored

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Have you tried spraying some kind of penetrating lubricant in the key hole? It’s possible it’s gunked up. Worth a shot if you haven’t already tried.

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
As I have one - I'm just curious...

You insert your key - and you turn the key - can you tell if the Bolt latch is turning at all? Is it just not turning enough - or is it just disconnected from the mechanism?

Regardless - worst case scenario - this is a question for others as I don't know the answer:

Could you unbolt the 2 hood latches up by the window - and then maneuver the hood a bit so the hood lock is not engaged? Then bolt the hood back on, open it as normal - and then you could at least remove the Bolt without destroying/damaging anything by just punching out the rivets...

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now when key is inserted, it will not turn. As if it doesn't recognize the keyway.

I am going to get some silicon lube and try that.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Might be worth contacting bolt as well. That way if you have to destroy the lock, maybe they can warranty it.

Sponsored

Big Hoss

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLU
@redbaron, Flip your key over and try it. I had the same thing happen and found the key only works one way.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Watching as I have the bolt lock. I've used it at least 3-4 times a month without issue, but this is one of the nightmare scenarios I've been concerned about.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Might be worth contacting bolt as well. That way if you have to destroy the lock, maybe they can warranty it.
Bolt has a limited lifetime warranty though I haven't read the fine print. Probably have to "mail" in your Jeep on your dime for coverage.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@redbaron, Flip your key over and try it. I had the same thing happen and found the key only works one way.
Tried that too, no dice. Letting it soak. It really feels like nothing is in the keyway now.

I have applied some leverage, far more than should be required.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Today I spoke with Bolt Customer service. They are all working from home, but that does not appear to affect their ability to work. I left a message for their tech support, and received emails and phone calls all within an hour.

The bad news: The lock has failed, and the only way to remove it is to destroy the lock. This means that root cause of failure will be hard to determine.

The good news: Bolt has no problem in replacing it, and has provided me with instruction on how to properly and safely drill out the old lock. There is no "internal bypass", so drilling the lock is the only resolution.

I do not feel that it is a security risk to detail the safe way to drill this out, as a thief would not care about being safe and will just drill our use a crow bar if they really want in.

A 1/2in drill bit is used to drill out the center of the core. The maximum depth you want to go is 1.5" so that you do not get near the radiator. I am going to attempt this now....hopefully I don't start a new thread of how to patch a radiator!

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Today I spoke with Bolt Customer service. They are all working from home, but that does not appear to affect their ability to work. I left a message for their tech support, and received emails and phone calls all within an hour.

The bad news: The lock has failed, and the only way to remove it is to destroy the lock. This means that root cause of failure will be hard to determine.

The good news: Bolt has no problem in replacing it, and has provided me with instruction on how to properly and safely drill out the old lock. There is no "internal bypass", so drilling the lock is the only resolution.

I do not feel that it is a security risk to detail the safe way to drill this out, as a thief would not care about being safe and will just drill our use a crow bar if they really want in.

A 1/2in drill bit is used to drill out the center of the core. The maximum depth you want to go is 1.5" so that you do not get near the radiator. I am going to attempt this now....hopefully I don't start a new thread of how to patch a radiator!
Good luck and thanks for reporting back!
Curious to see how much effort it takes and the results.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This was a 6 minute project. 4 minutes to locate drill, find bit, find fresh battery, and measure depth.

2 minutes of drilling. I had released the side hinges so that I would release pressure on lock when I was successful with drilling. Hood popped up when I finally drilled enough.
20210112_122717.jpg
20210112_122712.jpg

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
This was a 6 minute project. 4 minutes to locate drill, find bit, find fresh battery, and measure depth.

2 minutes of drilling. I had released the side hinges so that I would release pressure on lock when I was successful with drilling. Hood popped up when I finally drilled enough.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bolt hood lock failure 20210112_122712
Jeep Wrangler JL Bolt hood lock failure 20210112_122712
good customer service but I'd have the replacement lock for sale on eBay before I even received it.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good customer service but I'd have the replacement lock for sale on eBay before I even received it.
That was my initial thought on Sunday when this happened. But now that I have talked with Bolt Customer service and seen how they stand behind their product, I have no problem installing it again on my Jeep.

Yes, it sucks and is going to require some extra unplanned work, but honestly if this was just a fluke, then I have no concerns with continued use of the product.

I am dealing with another vendor on an issue that was far more expensive than this, and their customer service is no where near as good as what Bolt's was. Some companies have the attitude that they know more than we do, and they are just angry when we call them.

It was refreshing to deal with Bolt.
Sponsored