Sponsored

Body Removal off Frame

mrhaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
When I did a cab swap on my F350 I had the use of a lift which really made short work of doing the swap. Just make sure to take plenty of pictures of connectors, hoses and any other peculiar items that might prove problematic during reassembly. Harbor Freight sells a gantry crane for $700 that might come in handy when removing the body.
Sponsored

irayspot

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl
Occupation
Millwright
Hello, it been done before on a JK by a guy here in QC. The guy had a long arm suspension install on is JK. Here, the law prevent us from welding/modifying a frame. The Guy was arrested by a policeman and the Jeep declare Total. The only thing he could do was to install a new frame.

The Guy wan’t a mechanic, but he had good understanding and was handy. He order a brand new frame and install it with some select friend. We were following is adventure on the local Jeep club forum.

As I remember, it was they wanted to avoid disconnecting all the electronic.
They jack the body on floor jack and supported the motor, transmission and transfer case. They disconnected all steering component and brake line. Than they roll out the old frame on it wheels.
They then reassemble the axles and suspension on the new frame, roll it under the jeep and reattach everything.

I try to find picture, but it is a close, member only, part of forum Club Jeep de Montreal.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The welding job on that is atrocious.
The frame is zinc coated, they didn’t clean that off! You have to etch and grind through that to weld to it.

Gregj

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a hard time believing the frame components are zinc galvanized individually prior to weld assembly. That would be rediculous from a manufacturing engineering perspective. Why would someone say that and how do they know that? Galvanized after welding? Yes, that makes sense.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think this is accurate.

Someone (kid from the Middle East...can't think of his user name) posted a pic of a side by side underneath frame shot of a JL and JL 4door. There's no "modularity" in those frames. They don't bolt together like the back of my Lotus does around the engine bay.

Searched to find the pic....didn't have any luck though.

***EDIT** Found it. First post here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-vs-jk.39130/#post-867635

I agree. I haven't seen any modular sections on a Jeep frame.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Cooks Corner ( a body shop)in SFV is doing a swap of a frame on mine ( wrecked) you could go talk with the mechanic, he has pictures. Of course they have a lift.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
... Here, the law prevent us from welding/modifying a frame. The Guy was arrested by a policeman and the Jeep declare Total. ...
Vote for Bernie and we can have frame police too.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
hemi-swap-1.jpg

We've just started to remove the body on this 2.0 JL for a Hemi swap here at the Silverdale, WA Northridge4x4 location. Will post up more pics as they get further along.

JMurph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I agree. I haven't seen any modular sections on a Jeep frame

My JL jeep was wrecked. When the insurance company and the Autobody people were looking at the damage the insurance adjuster said just the front portion of the frame needed replaced. It turned out not to be true and they had to replace the whole frame. I don’t know about modular frames but apparently they can cut off the front portion and weld on a new front portion or something like that. I’m not the mechanic.
When they were doing my frame.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
It took the crew most of the day to disconnect and/or remove everything to the point that they could lift the body. An auto lift makes this job so much easier.

jl-body-off.jpg

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
It took the crew most of the day to disconnect and/or remove everything to the point that they could lift the body. An auto lift makes this job so much easier.

jl-body-off.jpg
Looks like 2 guys watching, one guy working and one guy pulling off pretend parts......

992E5F54-C398-479E-9267-C32BAF06D6BA.jpeg
Sponsored