First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Sahara
Occupation
Computers
Don’t want to scratch the paint when removing the door on that new jeep try this.

Grab one of those free magnets the local business give out. Even the ones that are a business card that you stick to your file cabinet. Stick it just below the bolt that holds the hinge for the door.

Now the ratchet will not rub on the paint. The magnets can be stored anywhere on your jeep that is metal for future use.
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Is there something different about the JL vs the JK that makes paint scratches more likely? I had my doors on/off a lot without any issues...

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
One of the first things I did on my JK was remove the black bolt that goes through the bottom of the hinge post on the door and I just left them off the entire time I owned it. whenever I pulled my doors off I just had to disconnect the electrical harness for the door and pull the door up. Easy and quick.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Exactly what I do. Got a large enough magnet pad to cover the entire hinge area and cut a hole in center. Swinging that ratchet around just begs to hit the paint.

Or cover the Jeep ratchet with duct tape.

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
One of the first things I did on my JK was remove the black bolt that goes through the bottom of the hinge post on the door and I just left them off the entire time I owned it. whenever I pulled my doors off I just had to disconnect the electrical harness for the door and pull the door up. Easy and quick.
I do the same on my JK. Also have the hinge pin extensions on the top making reinstall a breeze. That's supposed to be built in now, which is awesome. Looking forward to the lighter doors though.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Ahh, so it's removing the bolt that's the problem - I only took mine off once and it stayed that way, and as I recall I used a screwdriver extension to pop it off instead of a wrench so less danger. That explains it.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I do the same on my JK. Also have the hinge pin extensions on the top making reinstall a breeze. That's supposed to be built in now, which is awesome. Looking forward to the lighter doors though.
:cwl: I was so excited that the hinge extensions where bilt in. I thought I was the only one. I was almost as excited as i was that 35's will fit. It's like my 3rd favorite thing new on the JL:cwl::cwl:

The fold down windshield, and the fact that the seat belts are tucked under the b pillar covers and out of the wind are #1, and #2 :involve:
Sponsored