Blackout options

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Hi all, recently acquired a 4dr Sahara and although I think the silver accents look good with some body colors, I have a red body and I think everything will look better blacked out. I'm looking to change the grille inserts, the fog light surrounds on the front bumper, and all the emblems on the side of the body (and wheels of course, but not relevant to this thread).

Has anyone gone through this? Seems like the easiest way to do it would be to take all those inserts out and paint/plasti-dip them, especially because I'm having a hard time finding part numbers to replace them. I was able to find most of the replacement emblems but I can't find the "SAHARA" in black lettering. Any insight on this task would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
You could easily plasti dip all the parts you want, many people have done this, you could pull all the parts off and do it separately or just do it with them all still installed and scrape the excess plasti dip off.

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to make the most sense right now, rather than spending the replacement part money

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems to make the most sense right now, rather than spending the replacement part money
For sure saves money, I put newspaper and blue painters tape around the Jeep logo on mine and a few coats of plasti dip let it dry and peel it all off was a peice of cake.

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know if those fog light surrounds on the front bumper pry off easily or is there some wacky trick to it?

Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know if those fog light surrounds on the front bumper pry off easily or is there some wacky trick to it?
Not sure about those, I have a poor man's sport jlu, I have an aftermarket bumper too

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
The easiest way to plasti dip.

-Mask a square around the emblem with painters tape.

-Tape enough newspaper all round the painters tape. "make sure you apply enough paper all around. Airborne paint will end up everywhere."

-Apply VERY light coats and let it dry for 15-20 mins in between. If you do heavy coats, it will drip or it will be super thick. The bottom layers won't dry or will leave a weird texture.

-Peel the painters tape off and it will pull the plasti dip on it's own around the emblem. Use a plastic pic for the small holes. Beween the letters. Be careful not to scratch the oem paint.

*make sure it's a warm / dry day.

my_0range_crush

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
I have a Sahara and that was one of the first things I did was to get the silver grills off and make them black. I went with the plastidip route and it turned out great it was kinda a pain to get the grills off but worth it to make it as clean as possible. I ended up taking off both the jeep and Sahara badges and it honestly looks great!

If you ever have the money or are able to find the grill inserts off a rubicon gladiator/wrangler they’re a direct replacement.

B6979E4C-9E6F-40B6-B234-BEE3C90CE581.jpeg

OP
OP

smw89

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Sahara and that was one of the first things I did was to get the silver grills off and make them black. I went with the plastidip route and it turned out great it was kinda a pain to get the grills off but worth it to make it as clean as possible. I ended up taking off both the jeep and Sahara badges and it honestly looks great!

If you ever have the money or are able to find the grill inserts off a rubicon gladiator/wrangler they’re a direct replacement.

Jeep Wrangler JL Blackout options B6979E4C-9E6F-40B6-B234-BEE3C90CE581
I see you also got those fog light surronds blacked out, how did you attack those? Do they come off the bumper easily?

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
I used plastidip, on the emblems pretty simple.

I just read somewhere about HyperDip, not sure if that's better.

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Sahara Unlimited High Altitude
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
Here’s the part numbers you need if you decide to replace them.
I watched you tube videos and had help from members on here when I replaced mine on a 2019 Sahara a few years ago.

49FD2A3C-D77A-4B9F-AC1D-6A228FD40DE6.jpeg

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Factory Mechanic
Here’s the part numbers you need if you decide to replace them.
I watched you tube videos and had help from members on here when I replaced mine on a 2019 Sahara a few years ago.

Jeep Wrangler JL Blackout options 49FD2A3C-D77A-4B9F-AC1D-6A228FD40DE6
Here is a pic.

F6CC948B-D97A-4A92-B7DF-34B1C7151225.jpeg

Babeinsap

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude; 2001 TJ
Or just get the altitude edition. Blacked out from the factory. Although I did buy some black Sahara emblems from eBay. Post your progress!

4CD76044-8E2C-42E5-BE4E-DC805E68E4D9.jpeg

Awickedbeast

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Factory Mechanic

heres the video I watched to remove the silver from the bumper.
Sponsored