Sponsored

Ocean Blue with hood blackout vinyl?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Does anyone have an Ocean Blue JL with a blackout hood vinyl decal? I'm considering it, but can't picture it.

Looking at https://www.alphavinyl.com/shop/jeep/jeep-wrangler-jl-blackout-2018-2/ specifically.
I have a Rubicon, and think that the only way the hood blackout would look correct is if it also had a thin red outline to match the Rubicon lettering. This would probably also work on the non-Rubicon models too, as the matte black does not have enough contrast alone compared to the Ocean Blue.

Not mine, stole image from Google.
33933.jpg

OP
OP
Twistbeard

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
Yeah, the blue is beautiful, it's by far my favorite Jeep color they've ever released. I like the contrast of the blue and black, but without actually seeing it on my hood I worry it won't look as good as just the solid blue hood. I could just purchase it, it's only $40, but my wife is already eyeballing the $6500 in aftermarket upgrades I've spent and I'm still not done lol. I'd hate to buy the vinyl and then not use it.

bpdunsta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
I have a Rubicon, and think that the only way the hood blackout would look correct is if it also had a thin red outline to match the Rubicon lettering. This would probably also work on the non-Rubicon models too, as the matte black does not have enough contrast alone compared to the Ocean Blue.

Not mine, stole image from Google.
33933.jpg
Check out Ben Anton on YouTube. He did a custom blackout with a red outline on a MOJITO! Rubicon and it looks awesome. I imagine it would look just as good on Ocean Blue....

Sponsored

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
Does anyone have an Ocean Blue JL with a blackout hood vinyl decal? I'm considering it, but can't picture it.

Looking at https://www.alphavinyl.com/shop/jeep/jeep-wrangler-jl-blackout-2018-2/ specifically.
Hereyago Twistbeard. This wasn't a decal, but was custom made and installed at a local wrap shop. It's matte black with a little texture to it and is a bit thicker material. It came with a 10 year warranty. They removed the hood/washer bumpers, applied the wrap and reinstalled the hood bumpers. I also had their graphic artist design the Wizard from my sketches and that was applied several weeks after the hood wrap. The Wizard is a piece of xpel (shiny black) that was printed on, cut out, and applied over the hood wrap. One other note is the hood wrap did remove pretty much any reflection from the hood surface, while you're driving.

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1614.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

MLBRINES

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Chevy C10 1/2 ton pickup short bed. 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired IBM
@MLBRINES I'm pretty sure we just became forum friends! That wizard is pretty bad ass and that blackout looks great. Thank you for posting!
Hahaha, thanx mate ! It's cool to have something different on the Jeep....as they say "make it ur own" ! :)

OP
OP
Twistbeard

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
@pixeldecals hooked me up with a great hood black out for my Sahara along with the hood name. (Nebula, with the Helix Nebula next to it) Extremely satisfied. I'll be honest, the hood blackout decal had me cursing a couple of times as it was my first time installing a decal of that size. But everything installed perfectly and looks great. Don over at Pixeldecals does great work!

123.jpg

345.jpg

101112.jpg