Sponsored

Black Freedom Top - Repair or Replace

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
This past weekend when attempting to back my new JL into the garage so that I could test out the lift to raise the Freedom top, I accidentally forgot that the back window was up while the tailgate was closed. Thankfully I backed up extremely slowly...however I did hear the dreaded loud CRUNCH! The window and hinges are fine and working. However the fiberglass took the majority of the impact on both hinges. UGH!

Called the dealer this morning and it is too early to order a replacement top, they are only making them for production at this time.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have any experience with successfully repairing the fiberglass? Is it even possible?
2) Any chance someone bought their 2018 JL with a Black Hardtop and is interested in selling it?

View attachment 27778

View attachment 27779

Right Hinge.jpg

Left Hinge.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
I did the same thing to mine when I brought it home. I backed into the ceiling racks. Mine is on the corner of the top and it pushed in the fiberglass a bit. For now I have put on a couple strips of black electrical paint so it was fairly small. I have gone to a couple body shops and they advise they will not work on it since it can potentially crack and get bigger in the future. I decided I will replace the rear top since the front two panels are fine.

The dealership are taking pre-orders now. They will start shipping by middle of May from what I was told. You might want to check again and speak to someone else.

bam1111

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Fiberglass is easily repairable. They may need to reinforce the joint on the underside to provide additional support, but it is repairable. Try to find a body shop that repairs vettes.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
Find a boat repair gelcoat gal or guy and they can fix this right up for you. Cheaper and faster then a new top. Will look good as new. Go to any reputable marina in the area, they will have someone local they use.

Sponsored

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS

JLRUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL, 2017 Gmc Sierra, 1969 Pontiac Firebird, Ducati SFS 1098
Correct, all of which the op does not need as the fiberglass is the only thing damaged.

crik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade; 2018 JLUS
Correct, all of which the op does not need as the fiberglass is the only thing damaged.
Understood. But expensive! Do they come from mopar like that? I ask because I only got the soft top myself and may need one at some point.
Sponsored