Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’m currently looking into this bike carrier. Can anyone confirm it’ll fit on a 33 or 35 spare tire?
It’s shown on stock Rubi 33”.

Hollywood customer service is awesome. I’d give them a quick email/call if you don’t get an answer here.
Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I’m currently looking into this bike carrier. Can anyone confirm it’ll fit on a 33 or 35 spare tire?
The above image is outdated, I now have it mounted on a BFG All-Terrain KO2 35x17x12.5 tire without issues.

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
The above image is outdated, I now have it mounted on a BFG All-Terrain KO2 35x17x12.5 tire without issues.
How’s the fit with the 3rd brake light? I was looking today and it looks like clearance between it and the spare (33”) is minimal...

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How’s the fit with the 3rd brake light? I was looking today and it looks like clearance between it and the spare (33”) is minimal...
They barely touch. I first had the 3BL raised one notch, but I like it better this way, where it is touching a bit more and therefore no rattle. Of course this will depend on the backspacing of your rim. Sorry for foto quality.

View attachment 157151

Last edited:

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Tunesoul Thanks for your video! I went with Thule and your video helped a ton. Will Kuat Hi-Lo Hitch Extension provide the necessary clearance? The one you listed hangs a bit lower then I'd like. From their site, "The Kuat Hi-Lo hitch extension adds 7 or 10 in. of length and 2.125 in. of rise or drop to your vehicle's hitch receiver." Thanks bro!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? {filename}

SeanS

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Not sure if it helps, but I run the Kuat Hi-Lo hitch (upside down compared to that pic) to mount my Yakima Swing-Daddy rack. You can see a pic with the hitch ski also on the bike rack at: Best Ski rack to put on wrangler?

I had to mount it upside down so that the handle on the swing-daddy would clear the rear tire.

B-man

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I got a quadratic bike rack, it’s heavy as hell but was only about $170 or so and holds 2-3 bikes (it says 4 lol), been solid.

tylercranston

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Tunesoul Will that extension provide the clearance? I haven't got the rack yet.

Sponsored

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
@Tunesoul Will that extension provide the clearance? I haven't got the rack yet.
I'm not sure what clearance you are speaking of? With bikes off the rack or with them on? With bikes off and the rack dropped down I believe the gate might clear the rack. Other than that, with bike on the rack, either in the rail closest or farthest away from the Jeep I don't think this hitch will help you out. I hope this info helps? I went with one that allows me the most options with our without the bikes on the rack. There is always going to be a compromise. A swing-away might be the best option.

Tbmags

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon - Billet Silver
I ended up getting the Rocky Mounts BackStage Swing Away rack. Not sure how it is going to fit next to the tire since I haven't got my JL yet but it works great on my pickup and my wife's Lexus. I'm guessing I'm going to need a hitch extender. I really liked the design of the ISI rack and 1UP but the cost of the extras really start to add up. I was able to get the Rocky Mounts through my LBS for about $470.

Pros: Easy set up, easy bike mounting, swing away so your bikes don't touch the ground, locking and much cheaper than other racks with similar options.
Cons: Probably not as stout or 'stoable' as the 1UP or as convenient as the Thule. Mounting the rack is done manually with a 19mm socket and the cable to lock the bikes is not retractable. Also, even with the rack tilted down the tail gate on the pick up will not fold down all the way, but because it swings away is not really a big deal. Only holds two bikes.

I needed a rack for a couple for couple of trips and I could get this one fast and it checked most of the boxes. One of these days they will invent the perfect rack.

https://rockymounts.com/products/backstage-swing-away-platform-hitch-rack
Have you used your RockyMounts rack with your JL yet? If so, how did it work?

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Have you used your RockyMounts rack with your JL yet? If so, how did it work?

Not him, but I have a Backstage.

I had it in my JK and briefly on my JL. It works very well for what it’s designed to do. You may need to add an extension to your hitch in order clear the spare (I didn’t but it was a very close fit). There is a screw under the rack that holds the rack in place when driving. You unscrew it and the rack swings out in hinges, there is also a locking mechanism that holds the rack out of your way when opened.

The reason it’s not my daily go to rack is because it blocks the backup camera. I switched to a One Up USA and a dropped hitch extension as it clears the camera. I still have the Backstage and plan on using it for camping trips and other excursions where I would need to gain full access to the rear with the bikes loaded.

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Not him, but I have a Backstage.

I had it in my JK and briefly on my JL. It works very well for what it’s designed to do. You may need to add an extension to your hitch in order clear the spare (I didn’t but it was a very close fit). There is a screw under the rack that holds the rack in place when driving. You unscrew it and the rack swings out in hinges, there is also a locking mechanism that holds the rack out of your way when opened.

The reason it’s not my daily go to rack is because it blocks the backup camera. I switched to a One Up USA and a dropped hitch extension as it clears the camera. I still have the Backstage and plan on using it for camping trips and other excursions where I would need to gain full access to the rear with the bikes loaded.
Too late now but you could have just picked up the ISI rack (see post 179 & 198 of this thread) for way less than the cost of using two racks. The ISI rack was just slightly more (wanna say ~$100) than the 1Up as I was looking at both when researching racks.

TheJoyceIsYours

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lbdesignworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Designer
So this is a somewhat involved option, but I modified my Thule Spare Me 2 to work with the camera.

Cut up a 3/16" plate and trimmed the existing bracket to fit. Had to move up the cross piece to account for the camera offset. All in all it turned out pretty well.

Sponsored