Sponsored

Bike Rack Clearance

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
The pics I took are crap, but its early.

The upright post looks like its at an angle but it is perpendicular to the truck.

Pic shows both available positions.

Also I took a pic of the upper and lower hinges, with the keeper pins. A nice touch is the cables keep you from losing them.

That knob tightens up to prevent rattling and the hitch bolt is threaded on one side to do the same.

Also, while the rack does block a portion of the backup camera image, you can still see plenty. I'll post a pic of that sometime.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance inCollage_20220419_075029997

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance 20220419_075102

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance 20220419_075147
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The pics I took are crap, but its early.

The upright post looks like its at an angle but it is perpendicular to the truck.

Pic shows both available positions.

Also I took a pic of the upper and lower hinges, with the keeper pins. A nice touch is the cables keep you from losing them.

That knob tightens up to prevent rattling and the hitch bolt is threaded on one side to do the same.

Also, while the rack does block a portion of the backup camera image, you can still see plenty. I'll post a pic of that sometime.

Thanks so much for the great pics. Looks perfect, and no need to fuss with taking a pic of the backup camera view. The JL is my first vehicle with that option, and admittedly, I never even look at it! Ordering the bike carrier now....much appreciated.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
For those concerned about Quadratec, I ordered the 4-place version of this bike carrier at 8:30 AM, it shipped at 2:45 PM, and will be delivered this Saturday. Looks like their order processing system is working OK now.

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those concerned about Quadratec, I ordered the 4-place version of this bike carrier at 8:30 AM, it shipped at 2:45 PM, and will be delivered this Saturday. Looks like their order processing system is working OK now.
I got on chat with them in less than 10 min today. Hopefully they are getting back to normal.

I asked straight up if they were going out of business. The rep said no.

We shall see if she fixes my issue as promised. I'll let y'all know.

I told her they needed to post something here so we know they are OK.

Sponsored

The_Skyo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 6 spd 4.88
1up is a great option
I'm planning to get the 1up soon and maybe the Kuat Pivot V2 for it, but I'd rather just have the rack on with no extension for most of the year and just use the pivot on bike trips.
The Kuat pivot seems lower profile than 1up's version, and lighter.

I saw somewhere that the spare tire JUST clears the rack when it's pivoted down with no extension or swing mount.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My friends all have the high dollar, aka hundreds of dollars bike racks. I am and always will look for VALUE in the items I purchase. When they told me how much they paid I almost puked. But when I demonstrated mine and told them what I paid, they turned green and quiet.

I look for quality, great engineering and value for the price. I couldn't give a rats ass about what name is on the side.

I have the Quadratec 2 bike and it is as close to perfect as I can imagine any rack being.

It is specifically designed for the Wrangler with the long tongue to clear the spare tire and camera by several inches. There are two holes that the anti-wobble bolt can go into that allows it to be another inch away, but you won't need it.

The piece the bikes rest on can be folded down in seconds and the upright portion also folds down to allow you to open your swing gate and allow access to your trunk. Both folding parts are held with simple, heavy pull pins with safety catches.

The bikes are held in place with two heavy rubber straps. The whole rack is rock solid when tightened down, not a wobble anywhere.

The rack itself is heavy built and nicely finished.

I swear I paid $129 for mine new from Quadratec. They show as $199 now, which is still reasonable.

And yes, I asked the same question. The reason they disclaim it for the JL is it blocks part of the camera image.
Man, we have way differing opinions on what a perfect bike rack is.

Everybody's preferences are different but I hate the type of rack where the bike is held on by rubber straps. The rack might be rock solid but the bike is going to move quite a bit with this setup.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance 1650414527642

I, too look for value and my 1Up rack has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years, being used every week. Was it expensive? Hell, yes and it's even more expensive now. But I will be using this rack for however long I keep riding my mtb, be it 5 years or 20. The rack will still be rock solid.

(not my Jeep or bike)
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance 1650415168076

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Everybody's preferences are different but I hate the type of rack where the bike is held on by rubber straps. The rack might be rock solid but the bike is going to move quite a bit with this setup....
Opinions, we all gott'em, that's what makes this world interesting. 🙂

The bike actually doesn't move at all. The pic you posted doesn't show the strap that secures the bottom of the bike. Otherwise, yeah, it would swing all over hell. 😆

Whatever works best for each of us is the best solution.

I'm glad you like ur setup too.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I'd prefer to pay the extra money so I am able to open my gate all the way with the 4 bikes still attached in the carrier.

Sponsored

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Everybody's preferences are different but I hate the type of rack where the bike is held on by rubber straps. The rack might be rock solid but the bike is going to move quite a bit with this setup.

I, too look for value and my 1Up rack has performed flawlessly for the past 4 years, being used every week. Was it expensive? Hell, yes and it's even more expensive now. But I will be using this rack for however long I keep riding my mtb, be it 5 years or 20. The rack will still be rock solid.

(not my Jeep or bike)
I'm with you. I can't stand the bike racks that hang your bike from the frame. A tire mount bike rack like the kuat or 1up is a must. Last thing I want is my carbon frame of my mtn bike all marred up from one of those racks! I'm not tearing up a 6-8k mtn bike with a cheap rack!

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm with you. I can't stand the bike racks that hang your bike from the frame. A tire mount bike rack like the kuat or 1up is a must. Last thing I want is my carbon frame of my mtn bike all marred up from one of those racks! I'm not tearing up a 6-8k mtn bike with a cheap rack!
A vast majority people around our area have moderately priced bikes used for recreation and casual, social rides.

You should purchase the rack that works best for you and your situation. 🙂

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After attaching a hitch-mounted bike carrier to my stock JL Sport with trailer tow package, I noticed that the carrier's upright tube was making contact with the rear camera as shown here:

Even after removing the outer plastic camera housing, the tube is still very close to the camera, making it unusable with my JL. I am not a fan of spare tire-mounted bike carriers and I don't have a hard top to accommodate roof-mounted options, so just curious if anyone could recommend a hitch-mounted carrier that provides enough clearance. Thanks for any/all recommendations and happy Jeepin'!
Here's the pic I promised. This is why QT says its not for the JL. I don't find the slight blockage it as being an issue tho.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Clearance 20220501_180949