Sponsored

Bike Rack Options??

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The brake light mounted on the spare tire is problematic on the JL for spare mounted carriers. My spare mounted carrier that fit the JK, will not fit the JL because of the mount being so close to the tire there is no room for the arms of the carrier. Something to be aware of
Sponsored

HeygirlHey

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snazzberry Sahara Altitude (on order)
FYI - I have a Kuat Sherpa and ordered the Kuat Hi Low, and it STILL doesn't clear the back tire (even when tilted down). Bit the bullet and ordered the Pivot! I think if I had a smaller tire, maybe that would have worked, but not being able to open the back but a small crack is so annoying when you're getting ready to go ride. I need full access to my junk in the back. I'll probably be selling the Hi Lo when the Pivot is in (and proven to work).

I also had to purchase the $15 converter to make the rack fit a 2 inch hitch, and happy to say, it's rock solid. Even though the Hi Lo didn't help what I needed, their parts are really good about tightening up with no wiggle or bounce.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I have a 2" front receiver, and intend to carry my 50lb E- bike up front, leaving access to the cargo area unimpeded. When I try it out, I'll report back, until then, it's a "Teaser "
What brand did you get? And do you have a winch or intend to? Out of the two brands I've seen they both come out about the same but one is constructed a little lower and looks like it might accommodate a winch.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have the receiver that has the most ground clearance of the 2 offered, it might be "Hidden Hitch", but check the specs, there is a difference in clearance.
A portable winch would work, as this is a frame mounted hitch. I use mine for moving trailers into tight quarters, would also be great for a cargo rack, camp site uses

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Recently been exploring bike rack options as well, and finally went with the Quadratec 4-place option, which has been fantastic.

Thread is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-clearance.92320/

I am not a fan of hanging things off the spare tire if I can help it, and these racks were designed with Jeep issues in mind, assuming you have a hitch receiver. Hope this helps and happy Jeepin'!

Sponsored

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I have a draw tite now on my JK but am wanting a bumper mounted winch for the JL.
Still wanting the receiver for bikes and other thing I'm looking at the Curt and draw tite. They both come out tight to the bumper but from the drawings the Curt is designed lower inside.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
Recently been exploring bike rack options as well, and finally went with the Quadratec 4-place option, which has been fantastic.

Thread is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-clearance.92320/

I am not a fan of hanging things off the spare tire if I can help it, and these racks were designed with Jeep issues in mind, assuming you have a hitch receiver. Hope this helps and happy Jeepin'!
I'd like to see Quadratec offer a versa hitch for the JL, there is a nice bike rack for that. But they seem to be having enough problems, don't know if they could come up with another hitch.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
E1C40C2E-5B25-49FE-91C3-F215D87A90A2.jpeg

85FAAC01-DE2F-4B35-8A09-4E8CE3327633.jpeg

I am running the Yakima bike rack. If you’re running a tire carrier, I would consider this rack and relocate the camera.

1FC277F9-4B64-41E0-9B54-D6DE75986FFA.jpeg

92B166A5-B2DE-4FF5-8078-5AD96B9D2CFD.jpeg
8E6FCAD5-BE09-48F3-A87B-38A9246F1502.jpeg

Above setup with bike installed.
A little review of this setup. I like it, works great and love how I can open the tailgate like normal (camera location doesn’t even see the bike when mounted). I left the bike on the back for a few weeks, drove about 1,000 miles. Half on the interstate and other half split around town with some mixed forest service roads thrown in. Bike was taken on and off through out when riding. Everything was rock solid the entire time.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I’ll add my name to the list of fans of the 1up rack. It’s a fantastic setup. The JLJL I just ordered had to have the tow package so I could haul my bikes. I guess I’ll need to look into getting an extension to clear that spare tire.

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Finally pulled the plug on the 1 up rack thanks to this thread, went with the Equip-D single, with a second bike add on, so when me and the bride are road tripping we can haul 2 bikes, but for the bulk of the year I can remove the add on an just have the single for taking my ebike to the trails (which the wife doesn't do) and with the single the back up camera is not blocked. Really solid unit, built like a tank.

IMG_1232.jpeg

IMG_1228.jpeg

IMG_1227.jpeg

IMG_1225.jpeg

Sponsored

bcampion

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-2020
The brake light mounted on the spare tire is problematic on the JL for spare mounted carriers. My spare mounted carrier that fit the JK, will not fit the JL because of the mount being so close to the tire there is no room for the arms of the carrier. Something to be aware of
Hello, when I bought My 1Up rack for my wrangler, I ordered the inverted option, This allows enough clearance, so I did not need an extension.
Also, the Wrangler is higher from the ground, and the standard rack is harder to load a heavy e-bike. The inverted option is easier to load and has plenty of ground clearance.
see this link for pictures https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bike-rack-options.3426/page-34#post-1927264

IMG_9055.jpg

nreese

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Rubicon Unlimited
Finally pulled the plug on the 1 up rack thanks to this thread, went with the Equip-D single, with a second bike add on, so when me and the bride are road tripping we can haul 2 bikes, but for the bulk of the year I can remove the add on an just have the single for taking my ebike to the trails (which the wife doesn't do) and with the single the back up camera is not blocked. Really solid unit, built like a tank.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike Rack Options?? IMG_9055

Did you need an extension for it to fold up?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I have never carried a bike except in the bed of a pickup. I’ve never used any type of bike rack before. I just bought 2 mountain bikes and might like to transport them with my Jeep to a nearby park to ride. What is the least expensive rack option for 2 bikes only going a short distance? I’ve got a 37” spare and a 2” receiver hitch, about 11” clearance from the receiver pin hole to clear the spare and plate/brake light. Any sound guidance is appreciated.

panda234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKUR
If you carry cheap bikes and don't care if they get chewed up a bit, get a cheap bike carrier. If you carry expensive bikes, the price for a top notch bike rack like a 1UpUSA is well worth the money to protect them.
Sponsored