Bike rack options?

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dan, as an aside, the Mopar rear tire cover I have came with a new rear camera cover and the Allen bike rack doesn't interfere with the camera shot. I mount road (dropbar) and mountain bikes and can still see thru them.

jeepbikerack.jpg
Thanks and thanks for the photo. I had read that the JLU version of the rack doesn’t interfere with the backup camera. Thanks for confirming. I like the extra security you have wrapped around the frame and the tire. That’s a good idea!
Sponsored

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 SWorks Tarmac, '19 JLR 6mt V6 Silver, '19 GW3/F350 Silver, '01 996 Turbo Silver, '14 991 Turbo-S White (my daily beater), '19 991 Turbo-S Black
Occupation
Village Idiot, Abu Ghraib Prison Electrician
Thanks and thanks for the photo. I had read that the JLU version of the rack doesn’t interfere with the backup camera. Thanks for confirming. I like the extra security you have wrapped around the frame and the tire. That’s a good idea!
My Jeep is a JLR and no problem with the RVC. The cable lock looped thru the 3rd brake light bar and bike frame keeps the 75# DIB (dog in back) from working too much OT.

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Jeep is a JLR and no problem with the RVC. The cable lock looped thru the 3rd brake light bar and bike frame keeps the 75# DIB (dog in back) from working too much OT.
Thanks!

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2018 Ford Raptor, past 79 CJ5, 86 CJ7, 11 JKU
Occupation
Retired
I used this rack on my JK for years and loved it, will this work on the JL? I just ordered a JL and I know it has a rear camera but I don’t know if the rack will mess with the cam or the back up sensors. The JK didn’t have all that silly stuff.

yakima-8002599-spareride-2-bike-spare-tire-rack.jpg

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I used this rack on my JK for years and loved it, will this work on the JL? I just ordered a JL and I know it has a rear camera but I don’t know if the rack will mess with the cam or the back up sensors. The JK didn’t have all that silly stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? yakima-8002599-spareride-2-bike-spare-tire-rack
Looks like it mounts in the center cap hole of the spare tire. That’s exactly where the backup camera is. Not looking like it will work on your new JL. Btw congratulations on ordering your new Jeep!

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I went the multipurpose option. I'm using a HF cargo carrier rated for 750lbs and a Lund bike rack attachment like this picture. (Please substitute a JLU in this image since I don't have a picture of mine installed)

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? shopping_crop_8

We have both regular and ebikes so this works well for both. The ebikes run approx 60lbs each so more than most standard rack can handle. We also use it for hauling everything else when needed.

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Looks like it mounts in the center cap hole of the spare tire. That’s exactly where the backup camera is. Not looking like it will work on your new JL. Btw congratulations on ordering your new Jeep!
Thanks that is what I was afraid of, this is a great rack it’s easy and I leave it on my JK...

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks that is what I was afraid of, this is a great rack it’s easy and I leave it on my JK...
Yeah it’s too bad that no one makes a rack like that to accommodate the backup camera in the JL and JLU yet.

dustdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
You figure out a way to make this work? I’ve got the same setup and would like to utilize it instead of buying a whole new setup.
Sorry for the delayed reply.
It would work, but you'd have to relocate the backup camera, then cut the camera post off flush so you could fit the JK Mopar base over the studs. I think it's certainly do-able, but the key is finding a relocation for the camera. I haven't had time to monkey with it but am not giving up yet.

Here's what the OEM tire carrier looks like behind the spare, fyi:

JL spare tire mount.jpg

Sponsored

flharleycop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So we went with the Thule Helium Pro. This thing is pretty much perfect. No rattles, very light, and does not interfere with the tire. The only drawback is that you cannot open up the back gate when attached. That's not a big deal to me, as it comes unhitched extremely fast. Here are some pics:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks/thule-helium-pro-3-_-9043pro

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? 20200613_160942143_iOS

That’s looks really nice. The only part I don’t care for is that you can’t open the tailgate when the bike rack is installed. Does the rack itself interfere with the view from the backup camera?

bem1

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lantanapcguy.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That’s looks really nice. The only part I don’t care for is that you can’t open the tailgate when the bike rack is installed. Does the rack itself interfere with the view from the backup camera?
You see the rack, but can make out what's behind you. Not a big deal if you started driving in the 80s & 90s :)

As for the tailgate issue, if I really need to get something out, I'll just put the back seats down.
Sponsored