First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2004 L J
Occupation
Director of IT
No, yakima sidewinder so you can open the tailgate.

725FF4B9-B038-4C07-BB8D-BE3CD14D9E7D.jpeg

5B6EBE47-14AB-4EF7-956E-C482A877B2E0.jpeg

C94BB098-E009-4EA2-8E0E-81ADFB5A0445.jpeg

30541C89-F2D0-4DD6-8A37-9DF613D0B93D.jpeg

C163E443-99E8-4FE6-8F61-689137C2BFA9.jpeg
Where did you get the Yakima swing out hitch that can take the rack? Only thing I can find that swings out online is a complete unit and doesn't have the tray setup.

ColoJLRubi

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you get the Yakima swing out hitch that can take the rack? Only thing I can find that swings out online is a complete unit and doesn't have the tray setup.
The Yakima sidewinder I bought from rackwarehouse.com , the bike rack itself is a Thule.

Bzan

First Name
Braedon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? B1320DF6-AB77-4430-B966-3EF02DAFFD0F

I'm planning on using my old Mopar bike rack, as soon as I figure out how to relocate the backup camera (uses the same place, mounts to the spare through the center of the wheel on an adapter plate). The nice thing about the Mopar rack is that it keeps your receiver hitch free (if you even have one), and everything quickly and easily swings out of the way when you need to get in and out of the back of your Jeep.
You figure out a way to make this work? I’ve got the same setup and would like to utilize it instead of buying a whole new setup.

Sponsored

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Allen Sports 322DN
spare tire mount for 2 bikes $79

as mounted on my JL Rubicon over spare tire cover above.

Quadratec catalog snapshot, I hooked the botton straps to gate lower edge (not bumper as shown) so gate swings open with it all attached.

I'm interested in buying this rack for my 4-door JLU. When I look at the lower edge of my tailgate door, it looks like there's hardly any clearance at the bottom edge of the tailgate door when the tailgate is closed. Can you take a couple of pics showing how you have hooked the bottom straps to the lower tailgate edge please? That would be a huge help. Thank you

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 SWorks Tarmac, '19 JLR 6mt V6 Silver, '19 GW3/F350 Silver, '01 996 Turbo Silver, '14 991 Turbo-S White (my daily beater), '19 991 Turbo-S Black
Occupation
Village Idiot, Abu Ghraib Prison Electrician
I'm interested in buying this rack for my 4-door JLU. When I look at the lower edge of my tailgate door, it looks like there's hardly any clearance at the bottom edge of the tailgate door when the tailgate is closed. Can you take a couple of pics showing how you have hooked the bottom straps to the lower tailgate edge please? That would be a huge help. Thank you
1. You should avoid this rack unless you're ready to disassemble it when you first get it and pour Rustoleum into the tubes. Other wise it will rust up and everytime it gets any water in it it will spray rusty water staining the back end of your Jeep, the spare tire/cover and your bikes, not to mention the guy driving behind you.
2. Yes the clip clearance is very tight but they fit. I put heavy duty duct tape on both the body and bottom of the swing gate to prevent damaging the paint.

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1. You should avoid this rack unless you're ready to disassemble it when you first get it and pour Rustoleum into the tubes. Other wise it will rust up and everytime it gets any water in it it will spray rusty water staining the back end of your Jeep, the spare tire/cover and your bikes, not to mention the guy driving behind you.
2. Yes the clip clearance is very tight but they fit. I put heavy duty duct tape on both the body and bottom of the swing gate to prevent damaging the paint.
Thank you for replying and thanks for the heads up! Appreciate your comments on the clip clearance. That’s definitely not fun about the rust! Sounds like more of a sunny day Bike Rack. I think I will avoid this one. Thanks again

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 SWorks Tarmac, '19 JLR 6mt V6 Silver, '19 GW3/F350 Silver, '01 996 Turbo Silver, '14 991 Turbo-S White (my daily beater), '19 991 Turbo-S Black
Occupation
Thank you for replying and thanks for the heads up! Appreciate your comments on the clip clearance. That’s definitely not fun about the rust! Sounds like more of a sunny day Bike Rack. I think I will avoid this one. Thanks again
It's a real handy rack once you finish the manufacturing process. If you're handy with tools, you can disassemble it, tape up the pipe ends and get all messy dumping paint in it (like the first time changing diapers) and shaking it arround while Rustoleum is running down the underside of your arm [pit, etc]. I returned my first one and painted the replacement Quadratec sent me. It's been in service constantly for over a year and works like a charm.

I didn't mean to scare you off, just warn you it's like 99% of everything else from "the land of almost right", you have to complete it!

Tdkrum5

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 White JLU Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Kuat swing option. About the same as the Yakima. I used a spare tire relocation kit to give enough clearance to use the Kuat without needing a hitch extension. Sits pretty tight to the Jeep now. Pretty easy to deal with and definitely heavy duty.

What size tires do you have and what tire relocation kit did you use? I like how tight this fits up.

Sponsored

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a real handy rack once you finish the manufacturing process. If you're handy with tools, you can disassemble it, tape up the pipe ends and get all messy dumping paint in it (like the first time changing diapers) and shaking it arround while Rustoleum is running down the underside of your arm [pit, etc]. I returned my first one and painted the replacement Quadratec sent me. It's been in service constantly for over a year and works like a charm.

I didn't mean to scare you off, just warn you it's like 99% of everything else from "the land of almost right", you have to complete it!
I have a ton of tools in my two tool boxes. I’m a gear head from way back, big motors, drag racing, revived old muscle cars, etc. I don’t mind the paint and getting dirty. It just sounded like it was more effort than what it’s worth that’s all. Indeed I agree, just like everything else these days, the consumer is the beta tester for products rushed to market and/or products that have had their manufacturing process not thoroughly thought out. That’s cool about your second one. Are the pipe ends not capped off with plastic caps from the factory? I really love my Thule 963Pro spare tire bike rack. I had it on my 2016 JKU 75th anniversary edition, which I traded in for my 2019 JLUR. The Thule was designed before the Jeep OEM backup camera came into existence, so it’s designed to mount thru the center hole of the spare tire. I just picked up a piece of 3/16” steel plate that I’m going to try my hand at cutting to make the adapter plate that will move the mounting hole up to above the “V” in the spoke of the spare tire. That being said, I might try the Allen bike rack you have as well. The Thule owes me nothing at this point, I bought it in 2016 and the Allen bike rake goes on sale at Amazon for less than $70 bucks. If I buy the Allen I assume I’ll have to use the duct tape of some 3M paint protection film. Thanks again I really appreciate your comments :)

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have a ton of tools in my two tool boxes. I’m a gear head from way back, big motors, drag racing, revived old muscle cars, etc. I don’t mind the paint and getting dirty. It just sounded like it was more effort than what it’s worth that’s all. Indeed I agree, just like everything else these days, the consumer is the beta tester for products rushed to market and/or products that have had their manufacturing process not thoroughly thought out. That’s cool about your second one. Are the pipe ends not capped off with plastic caps from the factory? I really love my Thule 963Pro spare tire bike rack. I had it on my 2016 JKU 75th anniversary edition, which I traded in for my 2019 JLUR. The Thule was designed before the Jeep OEM backup camera came into existence, so it’s designed to mount thru the center hole of the spare tire. I just picked up a piece of 3/16” steel plate that I’m going to try my hand at cutting to make the adapter plate that will move the mounting hole up to above the “V” in the spoke of the spare tire. That being said, I might try the Allen bike rack you have as well. The Thule owes me nothing at this point, I bought it in 2016 and the Allen bike rake goes on sale at Amazon for less than $70 bucks. If I buy the Allen I assume I’ll have to use the duct tape of some 3M paint protection film. Thanks again I really appreciate your comments :)
It came with red plastic caps that are secured with a Torx (or allen) head thru-screw. Each piece of pipe/tube has numerous 1/4" holes for the chrome wire supports/spacers. One piece of chrome wire was going to be a pain to remove so I just dammed up the holes with playdough and taped it up while painting around it. I taped the rest of the holes up. The top pipes have plastic sleeves on them which come off with straps/clamps when you remove red caps. To remove the two vertical sleeves cut a 1" slot down from the top so they clear the rod you leave in. I drilled a 5/16" hole in an "almost sealed" cross pipe so I could pour paint inside of it. I used aluminum Rustoleum primer inside the tubes and black satin outside when I re-sprayed the outside. I thought I laid down enough newpapers but I should have used a cheap tarp. Disassembly and paint late Saturday afternoon, dried overnight, reassembled Sunday morning. I added a couple pieces of HVAC insulation for additional protection of carbon frames when I reassembled it. I did all this 14 months (a lot of brain cells) ago so to quote one politician: if you catch me lying, it's unintentional. In the end it'll last forever, rain or shine.

I forget what it weighs but it is very light yet sturdy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? IMG_1773 copy

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado

DanNH

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It came with red plastic caps that are secured with a Torx (or allen) head thru-screw. Each piece of pipe/tube has numerous 1/4" holes for the chrome wire supports/spacers. One piece of chrome wire was going to be a pain to remove so I just dammed up the holes with playdough and taped it up while painting around it. I taped the rest of the holes up. The top pipes have plastic sleeves on them which come off with straps/clamps when you remove red caps. To remove the two vertical sleeves cut a 1" slot down from the top so they clear the rod you leave in. I drilled a 5/16" hole in an "almost sealed" cross pipe so I could pour paint inside of it. I used aluminum Rustoleum primer inside the tubes and black satin outside when I re-sprayed the outside. I thought I laid down enough newpapers but I should have used a cheap tarp. Disassembly and paint late Saturday afternoon, dried overnight, reassembled Sunday morning. I added a couple pieces of HVAC insulation for additional protection of carbon frames when I reassembled it. I did all this 14 months (a lot of brain cells) ago so to quote one politician: if you catch me lying, it's unintentional. In the end it'll last forever, rain or shine.

I forget what it weighs but it is very light yet sturdy.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? IMG_1773 copy
Wow thanks a ton for the very good details. I see what you mean about the caps. You did a really great job! Since I have the Thule adapter plate on my near term radar screen I might as well try this one as well. Nothing like having a couple of different ways to skin a cat Thanks again.

Sgt Krypto

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wow thanks a ton for the very good details. I see what you mean about the caps. You did a really great job! Since I have the Thule adapter plate on my near term radar screen I might as well try this one as well. Nothing like having a couple of different ways to skin a cat Thanks again.
Dan, as an aside, the Mopar rear tire cover I have came with a new rear camera cover and the Allen bike rack doesn't interfere with the camera shot. I mount road (dropbar) and mountain bikes and can still see thru them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bike rack options? jeepbikerack
Sponsored

Last edited: