Bestop Sunrider Issue

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I get some fluttering too from time to time, (depends on how the wind is blowing), but both my latches are about the same in terms of tightness.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, with the rear windows down for the dogs it's maddening on mine. It's the bow directly behind the front passenger('s) head(s). I can hold it down with my right arm while driving and it's quiet, but that's obviously not practical long-term

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
Well, I spoke too soon about my Sunrider. Today we're having the first moderate/heavy rain since I installed my top on Thursday of last week. I'm have a substantial leak which seems to be coming from my driver side A pillar. It's been pouring all day and supposed to rain on and off the next few days. Not too happy, to say the least. I opened a ticket with Bestop and sent in a bunch of pictures. I'm waiting to hear back. I had zero issues with the Sunrider on my '15 and I was one of the first to purchase and install it when they first came out. I may have to put my freedom panels back in. This is extremely disappointing.
If you haven't already, be sure to give the team a call. It sounds like the seal isn't seating well on that side and they should be able to assist. If you've not heard from them in the next couple of days give them a call and reference your ticket number. It's a little crazy right now for everyone - some are working from home, some are in the office, and like other states it may be any time before businesses are ordered to shut their doors for a while.

Their number is 800-845-3567 and are in the office between 8am-5pm Mountain Monday through Friday.

Stay safe out there!

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you haven't already, be sure to give the team a call. It sounds like the seal isn't seating well on that side and they should be able to assist. If you've not heard from them in the next couple of days give them a call and reference your ticket number. It's a little crazy right now for everyone - some are working from home, some are in the office, and like other states it may be any time before businesses are ordered to shut their doors for a while.

Their number is 800-845-3567 and are in the office between 8am-5pm Mountain Monday through Friday.

Stay safe out there!

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

@Bestop, thanks for your post. I've submitted my ticket via email and received a response earlier asking to send in pictures which I've done twice. I also called in 3 different times because the leak got worse as the rain got heavier. I was told my issue was being looked at, these tops are new so not many issues yet, and that I should put my freedom panels back on until a solution is found. Unfortunately, it's still pouring rain outside and I have no garage space to reinstall my freedom panes. So the inner driver side of my month old JLU is getting soaked.

I think I've pinpointed the water coming in from under the driver side upper door seal, near the A pillar, where the 2 rivets are.

Hopefully the team gets this resolved quickly, otherwise I'm going to be very unhappy.

Last edited:

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
@Bestop, thanks for your post. I've submitted my ticket via email ans received a response earlier asking to send in pictures which I've done twice. I also called in 3 different times because the leak got worse as the rain got heavier. I was told my issue was being looked at, these tops are new so not many issues yet, and that I should put my freedom panels back on until a solution is found. Unfortunately, it's still pouring rain outside and I have no garage space to reinstall my freedom panes. So the inner driver side of my month old JLU is getting soaked.

I think I've pinpointed the water coming in from under the driver side upper door seal, near the A pillar, where the 2 rivets are.

Hopefully the team gets this resolved quickly, otherwise I'm going to be very unhappy.
I'm not in the customer service team, nor am I usually at HQ, but I can tell you that the health crisis has had the team having to make quick office/home work changes. If you'll message me your name, contact info, and your ticket number, I'll reach out to the team and see if they can escalate getting back to you.

In the meantime, do you have a tarp of any kind that you can cover that area with?

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm not in the customer service team, nor am I usually at HQ, but I can tell you that the health crisis has had the team having to make quick office/home work changes. If you'll message me your name, contact info, and your ticket number, I'll reach out to the team and see if they can escalate getting back to you.

In the meantime, do you have a tarp of any kind that you can cover that area with?

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com
@Bestop, I'll get my info to you asap. I've been going out and drying everything off periodically. There's no rain forecast for the morning, so I'll swap my freedom panels back in then. Thanks.

OP
OP
Trojan_Actual

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
I get some fluttering too from time to time, (depends on how the wind is blowing), but both my latches are about the same in terms of tightness.
It’s pretty frequent for me. And loud. Almost like a thud or a quick 3-4 flutters. And it’s averaging around 30 seconds in between. I contacted Bestop via email before I made this thread and have been giving them the same info on here. I don’t have any leak issues at all, just the fabric sound. I’ve taken the top off for now and put on the freedom panels. Purely because it’s quieter.

OP
OP
Trojan_Actual

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
@Bestop, I'll get my info to you asap. I've been going out and drying everything off periodically. There's no rain forecast for the morning, so I'll swap my freedom panels back in then. Thanks.
Sorry to hear! I’m sure it’s a small adjustment or something that’s needed.

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
This seriously stresses me out, mine has shipped and I expect it to be perfect. Fingers crossed on both your repairs.

OP
OP
Trojan_Actual

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
This seriously stresses me out, mine has shipped and I expect it to be perfect. Fingers crossed on both your repairs.
I wouldn’t stress. It’s a very well made product and there isn’t a lot of gripes as far as I can tell. We are either doing something wrong (lol) or we have needles in the haystack issues.

Sponsored

Focker

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ducati.ms
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
General Manager
Vehicle Showcase
We bought one at the San Mateo Jeep Show last month and had it installed 2 weeks ago at 4 Wheel Parts as part of the purchase deal. There have been no leaks or issues so I would say you have very good odds of being fine ;)

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Mine will flutter too from time to time. I can recreate it by driving behind a semi, that makes it bang around pretty good on the middle section. I just got over it when @Bestop didn’t seem to have a solution when they first came out.
Same here. On the interstate at 70 behind an 18 wheeler. Doesn’t bother me because that’s the only time it does it.

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I wouldn’t stress. It’s a very well made product and there isn’t a lot of gripes as far as I can tell. We are either doing something wrong (lol) or we have needles in the haystack issues.
^ this and Bestop has amazing customer service who really backs this product. I’ve had mine for nearly a year and love it. If you have issues, just call and they’ll take care of you. Otherwise enjoy it!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Bestop support got back to me a little while ago and will be sending out a new top. I should have it within 5 business days. Fingers crossed for no issues. I'll report back after the new top is installed.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@Bestop support got back to me a little while ago and will be sending out a new top. I should have it within 5 business days. Fingers crossed for no issues. I'll report back after the new top is installed.
Was there any damage to your original shipping box, anything to indicate something got bent ? It wouldn't take much to have "tweaked" one of the arms out of spec, resulting in your issues
Sponsored