Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Was there any damage to your original shipping box, anything to indicate something got bent ? It wouldn't take much to have "tweaked" one of the arms out of spec, resulting in your issues
Nope. The shipping box was perfectly intact, with everything inside perfectly wrapped and secured. I just removed the Sunrider to put my freedom panels back on. I checked the fitment of both door rails and they look 100% the same and seem to fit perfectly into their respective seals. In fact, the foam on both door rails shows the same compression from the A and B pillar muckets.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trojan_Actual

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Was there any damage to your original shipping box, anything to indicate something got bent ? It wouldn't take much to have "tweaked" one of the arms out of spec, resulting in your issues
My box looked a little beat up but everything inside seemed fine on inspection. Maybe mine was ever so slightly tweaked. Hindsight I definitely should of snapped pictures of the box.

Jeepileptic

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Fisher-Price Jeep Frozen Edition
I know this may not help with a Sunrider that has a fitment issue, but I can get mine to stop flopping with a little positive pressure from the HVAC fan blower. When flopping is prevalent on the highway, I keep the blower on, even the lowest setting works. This only works with the outside air as a source; it doesn’t work with recirculate on.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@Bestop, I just had a chance to really examine the door rails from my Sunrider, now that they have been removed from my Jeep. Upon close inspection, I definitely notice a difference in the foam pads on the front of each rail. The front edge of the passenger side foam is still plush and has some thickness and give to it. The front edge of the driver side, where my leak was, is flattened out and no longer has any thickness to it. I believe this was causing an improper seal and allowing water to seep between the door rail and the rubber mucket it sits in. I'm not sure how that happened. I don't know if it's possible to over tighten the door rails. I basically snugged them up by hand until tight. I've attached some pics to show what I've found. I will definitely examine the door surrounds when my replacement top arrives. Hope this proves helpful.

Passenger side (no leak):

passenger.JPG

Driver side (leak):

driver.jpg

Last edited:

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Good news, my top came in today but the bad news the box has holes in like is lost the fight. Will inspect later I blew out my knee in therapy this morning, just can't win somedays lol....

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good news, my top came in today but the bad news the box has holes in like is lost the fight. Will inspect later I blew out my knee in therapy this morning, just can't win somedays lol....
Sorry about your knee. When you install your top, would you mind taking some pictures of the foam on the front part (the sides without the Bestop logos, like I did above) of the door rails before you start putting everything together? Post them here if you can. Thanks.

Last edited:

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired
No flutter, leaks, or anything.... just increased road noise, but that’s expected. Something is definitely not right with yours, but I can’t say what. Bestop is known for helping, I’d contact them or message them on here.
I agree with @BillG I installed mine over a year ago, and it is hands down the best mod we did to our jeep.

goose77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.toolsinaction.com
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR, , 84 CJ7 , 22 TREMOR, 23 Model Y
Occupation
Pan Handler
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. I got a Sunrider for my JLU Sahara and installed it exactly like the instructions said.

Two things I noticed right away....1) the driver side latch was WAY too easy to unlatch while the passenger was requiring a lot more effort. 2) while driving approx 50-70 mph, I’d get a flutter from the top on the back middle part. Around every 30 seconds.

I removed and reinstalled the top twice, installing it the old installation way by doing door rails on the Jeep first, then I did the install with door rails on the top first. No change.

I reached out to Bestop and they recommended adjusting the driver latch to make it latch tighter. Did that and took it for a test drive. Flutter still there. I then adjusted the passenger because it was still requiring a excessive of effort to close. Did that along with the driver to make the effort needed mirror. Drove it and still have material flutter.

So I know it’s a “soft top”, and if it’s supposed to do this then I can accept it (kinda), but it seems like it isn’t supposed to. Not at this level. Anyone deal with this at all? I love this top and would love any help. Thank you!
I adjusted the driver side latch plate and now everything fits like a glove! Both sides latch with equal force no leaks! This is one of the best mods you can do to your Jeep. It makes a Jeep a Jeep :}

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I adjusted the driver side latch plate and now everything fits like a glove! Both sides latch with equal force no leaks! This is one of the best mods you can do to your Jeep. It makes a Jeep a Jeep :}
This is great to hear :like:. With temperature changes, driving, and time the fabric will stretch and contract until it settles. This type of adjustment might be needed occasionally but it should be a pretty quick thing to do when it does.

- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
I received mine a couple weeks ago but decided to wait to do the install until we get some warmer weather. Hopefully next week. Hope I don’t have any issues. The box was a little beat up with a hole knocked in it. Now I’m a little nervous.

walweb

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR Mojito, 1993 YJ, 2001 Ram 2500, 2012 Ram Dually , 2014 Durango
Occupation
Retired

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry about your knee. When you install your top, would you mind taking some pictures of the foam on the front part (the sides without the Bestop logos, like I did above) of the door rails before you start putting everything together? Post them here if you can. Thanks.
Install is easy, I did have a little issue keeping the unit square but that's me being anal. I do have a lot of noise from driver side and the latch is extremely loose compared to the passenger side. Here are the photos.
IMG_5698.jpeg
IMG_5699.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Here are the photos.
Much appreciated. Those foam pads look nice and plush, so all should be good. My driver side definitely doesn't look like yours. Granted it was previously installed, but it should not have completely flattened out the way it did.Still waiting for my replacement top to arrive. Should be here tomorrow.

If you haven't already, contact Bestop support. They will get you sorted. They've been great throughout my ordeal. Good luck!
Sponsored